ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Heil RC35 capsule for Shure UR systems.  (Read 15563 times)

Robert "VOiD" Caprio

• Long Island, NY
    • Interzone Studios
Heil RC35 capsule for Shure UR systems.
« on: July 21, 2011, 01:25:00 PM »

Hello all,

I recently got my hands on a Heil RC35 capsule for the Shure UR wireless mic system while out on the road with Cee Lo Green thanks to Greg McVeigh and Steve Warford.  We'd been using the standard 58 and Beta 58 caps and were ok with them but were looking to try something new.  We were also actively seeking a mic with greater GBF since Cee Lo likes it really loud (REALLY LOUD) on stage.  We're working on getting him into some IEMs but that's another story.

Anyway, right from the get go with the RC35 my monitor engineer (Aaron "Double A" Dilks) and I heard a remarkable difference in the clarity and depth of this mic compared to the standards.  The top end was smooth and a bit pronounced while the mids and low end were detailed and clear. I found there to be little proximity effect so I had to use less HPF on Cee Lo's mic channel strip.  That's a huge benefit since Cee Lo's voice can go from low to high and spread all over the frequency spectrum.  The less I have to EQ the better.  From the monitor world side of things we found we had a much easier time ringing out the wedges and sidefills with this mic and that the overall presence coming from the speakers was enhanced and had an exciting "edge" to it.  Since Cee Lo does like it so loud we found we previously had to drastically carve the upper mids and high end out to avoid feedback and the harshness that can prevail when cranking it up.  But with the RC35 we had much less of that to deal with since the highs on this mic are smooth and natural sounding.

Overall we've found this mic delivers consistent, smooth and natural sounding vocals for Cee Lo night after night and numerous other engineers on site (such as everyone at the Late Show with David Letterman and many others) have commented on how impressed they are with the RC35.  Along with the PR22 I use on the snare our sound has benefited greatly from Heil mics and we will be purchasing more for other uses on the tour.

I would love to hear from other Heil users so please reach out and share your thoughts!
FOH/MON/REC/MIX Engineer/Producer/TM/RF Tech
Currently mixing MON for Boston
www.interzonestudios.com
void at interzonestudios dot com

Rick Earl

Re: Heil RC35 capsule for Shure UR systems.
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2011, 04:41:46 PM »

Hello all,

Anyway, right from the get go with the RC35 my monitor engineer (Aaron "Double A" Dilks) (There is a name I haven't heard in a while, glad to know he is still around) and I heard a remarkable difference in the clarity and depth of this mic compared to the standards.  The top end was smooth and a bit pronounced while the mids and low end were detailed and clear. I found there to be little proximity effect so I had to use less HPF on Cee Lo's mic channel strip.  That's a huge benefit since Cee Lo's voice can go from low to high and spread all over the frequency spectrum.  The less I have to EQ the better.  From the monitor world side of things we found we had a much easier time ringing out the wedges and sidefills with this mic and that the overall presence coming from the speakers was enhanced and had an exciting "edge" to it.  Since Cee Lo does like it so loud we found we previously had to drastically carve the upper mids and high end out to avoid feedback and the harshness that can prevail when cranking it up.  But with the RC35 we had much less of that to deal with since the highs on this mic are smooth and natural sounding.

Overall we've found this mic delivers consistent, smooth and natural sounding vocals for Cee Lo night after night and numerous other engineers on site (such as everyone at the Late Show with David Letterman and many others) have commented on how impressed they are with the RC35.  Along with the PR22 I use on the snare our sound has benefited greatly from Heil mics and we will be purchasing more for other uses on the tour.

I would love to hear from other Heil users so please reach out and share your thoughts!

I have had similar results with the PR?RC 35, although not the mic for everybody, I find it is one of my first mics out for "belters" and for loud mixes.    It also works better than most for people with poor mic technique.   

The PR22 has been my first out snare mic for a while.  I had to switch it out once for an artist who was endorsed by another company, but he had me switch it back.   I have also been partial to the PR-40 in the kick, I prefer the flatter response to the tailored mics out there. 

If Cee Lo decides to bring out a horn section, check out the PR-30's.

Gary Green

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2011, 09:31:15 PM »

Robert [ or anyone] ,
Have you had a problem with the Heil capsules over compressing the contacts on the Shure transmitters?
I ask because I have to reset the contacts upward everytime after I use the Heil cap when I go back to the Shure capsule. I only have a pair of Heil caps and love them, but  I am worried about metal fatigue after having to do this all the time.

Robert "VOiD" Caprio

• Long Island, NY
    • Interzone Studios
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2011, 03:04:54 PM »

Robert [ or anyone] ,
Have you had a problem with the Heil capsules over compressing the contacts on the Shure transmitters?
I ask because I have to reset the contacts upward everytime after I use the Heil cap when I go back to the Shure capsule. I only have a pair of Heil caps and love them, but  I am worried about metal fatigue after having to do this all the time.

Gary,

I can't say I've ever had that problem.  I got back to a few guys who provided for us recently to see if they encountered that problem and they replied in the negative.  I would suggest you send your cap back to Heil to make certain it's within specs, it sounds like it's not.  Post back with a follow up if you can.
FOH/MON/REC/MIX Engineer/Producer/TM/RF Tech
Currently mixing MON for Boston
www.interzonestudios.com
void at interzonestudios dot com

Chuck Simon

• Pittsburgh, Pa.
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2011, 02:49:49 PM »

I have been using an RC-35 capsule with a new Line 6 v70 for about a month now.  I use it mostly with a male country singer.  I'm very happy with the sound and the side and rear rejection is very impressive-the best I have experienced!

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2011, 01:58:17 AM »

The 35 has a very large capsule, I beleive the largest of the line if I remember from a discussion with Bob Heil. That alone is a large part of the reason these mics sound so full. The rear and side rejection is a product of Bob Heils personal tuning during conception. A single mic can't possibly be everything to everyone, but the Heil line comes close. I loaned a 35 and a full drum kit to Rob Spence some time ago. We'll see what he thinks after he get's some time on the kit.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber