ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: O A Windsor  (Read 11134 times)

Steve Payne

• Soundworks of Virginia, Inc.
O A Windsor
« on: February 13, 2013, 09:15:03 AM »

Well, I may be the last one in pro audio to jump on the bandwagon, but if there are any of you out there still using Woodhead or Erickson drop boxes, know that there is a better mouse trap.  I was making up a new snake bundle and needed a quad box to live at FOH.  I had heard good things on the boards about the O A Windsor stuff, so thought I would give them a try.  I called and talked to Ken.  Ken >IS< A O Windsor.  It is great to have any questions fielded by the guy who makes, packs, ships and knows his product.  Ken made sure I had the right part number for the proper sized cable grip to accommodate the 12/4 SO wire I was using.  Great guy that knows how to serve his customers needs.  There isn't much rocket science in a quad box, but the Windsor box is built like a tank. It is much heavier duty than it's Woodhead and Erickson counterparts.  The side wall thickness is substantial.  I am guessing that this box and it's internals could literally survive being run over by a car or van.  Surely it will be totally unfazed by anything it could encounter on a stage.  If you stay in business for 50+ years, I have no doubt that you would never have to buy a replacement for a Windsor box.  The black color is also a plus for a clean stage look on downstage drops for keyboards and stomp box rigs.  The punchline is that they cost substantially less than the Woodhead/Erickson products.  So, (1) superior product, (2) better price, (3) one on one customer service.  i'm on board this bus for sure.  Happy gigging.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2013, 07:40:30 PM by Steve Payne »
Steve Payne
like us on Facebook at:
https://www.facebook.com/SOUNDWORKSOFVIRGINIA

TJ (Tom) Cornish

• St. Paul, MN
Re: A O Windsor
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2013, 09:29:36 AM »

Well, I may be the last one in pro audio to jump on the bandwagon, but if there are any of you out there still using Woodhead or Erickson drop boxes, know that there is a better mouse trap.  I was making up a new snake bundle and needed a quad box to live at FOH.  I had heard good things on the boards about the A O Windsor stuff, so thought I would give them a try.  I called and talked to Ken.  Ken >IS< A O Windsor.  It is great to have any questions fielded by the guy who makes, packs, ships and knows his product.  Ken made sure I had the right part number for the proper sized cable grip to accommodate the 12/4 SO wire I was using.  Great guy that knows how to serve his customers needs.  There isn't much rocket science in a quad box, but the Windsor box is built like a tank. It is much heavier duty than it's Woodhead and Erickson counterparts.  The side wall thickness is substantial.  I am guessing that this box and it's internals could literally survive being run over by a car or van.  Surely it will be totally unfazed by anything it could encounter on a stage.  If you stay in business for 50+ years, I have no doubt that you would never have to buy a replacement for a Windsor box.  The black color is also a plus for a clean stage look on downstage drops for keyboards and stomp box rigs.  The punchline is that they cost substantially less than the Woodhead/Erickson products.  So, (1) superior product, (2) better price, (3) one on one customer service.  i'm on board this bus for sure.  Happy gigging.
  Hey Steve - the company is O. A. Windsor: http://www.oawindsor.com/

Brook Hovland

• DiA Events
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2013, 09:58:54 AM »

I will second that, by FAR the best out there for our applications.

Steve Payne

• Soundworks of Virginia, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2013, 07:38:48 PM »

Hey Steve - the company is O. A. Windsor: http://www.oawindsor.com/

Thanks TJ!  I have corrected my error.  Cheers.
Steve Payne
like us on Facebook at:
https://www.facebook.com/SOUNDWORKSOFVIRGINIA

Nils Erickson

• San Francisco
Re: O A Windsor
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2013, 03:04:05 AM »

+1 
Ken is great; I have a pile of powercon quad boxes he made for me.  Quick turnaround and great service...

George Dougherty

« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2013, 02:50:55 AM »

Digging up an old thread because it's worth keeping Ken over at O.A. Windsor on the top of the list.

I just ordered in parts to DIY assemble 2 more powercon through quad boxes from him.  I started smaller with just 4 passthrough boxes and a single inlet box on a 15' lead with powercon termination.

As always Ken was excellent to deal with on the phone, knows his products inside and out, and offers a great product for a very reasonable price.

I will say however, that after my last round, buying the prebuilt powercon boxes or stage stringers is probably worth it.  $33 for the hand molded empty box, $11 for the 20A pro grade receptacles, $6 for the powercon jacks, $1 for the crimp connectors and an hour later I had a pretty good looking box.  At that point I'm within $30 of having the box delivered in a tested and ready to use state.

As a mini review, I've been using the powercon stringer setup for over a year now and everything looks nearly new.  It works as well as the day I got it for sure.  While it was a little faster deploying and packing up my old stringer box with metal quads, I love the flexibility of the powercon setup.  I now have 10, 15 and 20ft lengths to use between the boxes so I can minimize coiled cable laying about on the stage.

If you're looking for good cable to go with powercons, Coleman has their Royal 12/3 SOOW product that just barely fits into the black strain relief and is a beauty to handle.  The jacketing is the neoprene type that maintains excellent flexibility even in cold winter weather here in Denver.  I have two 75' lengths of PVC jacketed 12/3 SOOW that I wish I could justify trading out for the CCI Royal product.  The difference in cold weather is quite nice.

Jay Barracato

• Solomons, MD
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2013, 12:15:02 PM »

Digging up an old thread because it's worth keeping Ken over at O.A. Windsor on the top of the list.

I just ordered in parts to DIY assemble 2 more powercon through quad boxes from him.  I started smaller with just 4 passthrough boxes and a single inlet box on a 15' lead with powercon termination.

As always Ken was excellent to deal with on the phone, knows his products inside and out, and offers a great product for a very reasonable price.

I will say however, that after my last round, buying the prebuilt powercon boxes or stage stringers is probably worth it.  $33 for the hand molded empty box, $11 for the 20A pro grade receptacles, $6 for the powercon jacks, $1 for the crimp connectors and an hour later I had a pretty good looking box.  At that point I'm within $30 of having the box delivered in a tested and ready to use state.

As a mini review, I've been using the powercon stringer setup for over a year now and everything looks nearly new.  It works as well as the day I got it for sure.  While it was a little faster deploying and packing up my old stringer box with metal quads, I love the flexibility of the powercon setup.  I now have 10, 15 and 20ft lengths to use between the boxes so I can minimize coiled cable laying about on the stage.

If you're looking for good cable to go with powercons, Coleman has their Royal 12/3 SOOW product that just barely fits into the black strain relief and is a beauty to handle.  The jacketing is the neoprene type that maintains excellent flexibility even in cold winter weather here in Denver.  I have two 75' lengths of PVC jacketed 12/3 SOOW that I wish I could justify trading out for the CCI Royal product.  The difference in cold weather is quite nice.

I have a complete setup of carol cable with Windsor quads. I think it is worth spending the money to do this right.

Good cables are one of the simple joys in a techs life.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

Jay Barracato

Brian Adams

• Adams Production Services
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2013, 09:33:44 PM »

I just ordered 15 of Ken's quads a couple weeks ago. They may have even been delivered by now, but I've been out of town. I hear nothing but good things about his boxes, and the price is comparatively good. He also had a great price on Hubbell outlets to fill my quads. I'm looking forward to getting them on my cable!
Brian Adams
Adams Production Services
Vermillion, SD
adamsproductionservices.com

Nils Erickson

• San Francisco
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2013, 11:37:05 PM »

Ken shipped me another order this month.  Though he was quite busy, he made of point of making sure they would be ready for an event I had coming up. 

When I asked him about a modification to add an LED to show power on the box, he suggested an even better idea: lit receptacles on one side.  Better because they don't shear off when being transported...

Also, I will happily plug his powercon splitter box.  I just got a few of these and they are very handy.  One in, two out. 

Nils

John Moore

• "learning the hard way sucks donkey kong"
    • Trinity Productions
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2013, 12:07:15 PM »

Ken shipped me another order this month.  Though he was quite busy, he made of point of making sure they would be ready for an event I had coming up. 

When I asked him about a modification to add an LED to show power on the box, he suggested an even better idea: lit receptacles on one side.  Better because they don't shear off when being transported...

Also, I will happily plug his powercon splitter box.  I just got a few of these and they are very handy.  One in, two out. 

Nils

OA Windsor is the best box and solution out there...
http://www.trinityprosound.com 209-832-8023
DEALER:Dealer for Yorkville, EV, QSC, RCF, Danley Sound Labs, VTC, Allen & Heath, Ashly, Denon,  Audix, One Systems, Beyerdynamic, Presonus, K&M, Ultimate,  Trusst, Road Ready, Gator, Radial Engineering, Turbosound, dB Technologies, RCF, American Audio,  Rapco, CBI Cables, ADJ, Chauvet, Blizzard, Furman, Shure, Tascam, Elite Screens,  BenQ, Midas, Digico,  and many many more...

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2013, 12:07:15 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.043 seconds with 26 queries.