ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: "Kool and The Gang" Backline?  (Read 17093 times)

Steven Leonard

• Sands Productions
Re: "Kool and The Gang" Backline?
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2011, 01:32:39 PM »

I'm not trying to be unhelpful... it's just that after 30 years in this business this is a BIG RED FLAG that someone's not being fully up-front and forthcoming.

That there are layers of "clients" involved only reinforces that gut reaction.

Good luck.

I wouldn't be so quick to get snippy about pragmatic replies from experienced and knowledgable industry professionals.  Tims response is right on.  If you're not receiving the information you need to do your job in a professional manner it is legitimate to suppose that the people with whom you are dealing are not fully professional.

Something smells in such scenarios.

I wouldn't be so quick to get snippy about pragmatic replies from experienced and knowledgable industry professionals.  Tims response is right on.  If you're not receiving the information you need to do your job in a professional manner it is legitimate to suppose that the people with whom you are dealing are not fully professional.

Something smells in such scenarios.

+1.   Even if everything for your gig is straightforward and on the up and up, you should be getting the rider from band's management through your client, not on a forum.    The rider the band used last month might not be the one they are using for your gig.

Honestly these responses are so typical of the attitude of this forum.

The gig in question is a charity event I am providing production for. Robert Bell (Kool) from Kool and the Gang is taking the stage (joining a hired band) along with some of his bandmates. Also appearing are Jeffrey Osborne (LTD) and Thomas McClary (Commodores).

The reason individual riders and backline for each artist hasnt been submitted is cause it is an impromptu "Jam" event rather then a full Headliner show. I do want to to provide Robert Bell and any of the guests he has come up with similar equipment if not identical to what they request on riders.

Since it is for a charity and not a headlining event no backline or rider for Kool and the Gang has been submitted to me.

I figured I could get an idea from what they typically require on here since these guys have been around a while, and I am sure many people have worked with them. I dont need the current years backline/rider. Anything from the last ten years would be fine since it is just to get an idea of typical stage setup and bass amplifier preferences. Since it is so laid back and I dont have too much info going into it I also wanted to get an idea of what the band is like to work with...Particularly Robert Bell. I have met him a couple times before and he seems cool (kool) but never worked with him before.

To those that posted criticism of the event rather then lending a hand I would say be aware that when you post a response you dont always know all the information. Therefore it is best not to judge. If a guy is asking for a rider and you have it be kind enough to pass it along! Could really help someone out! That is what this forum is about right? Industry professionals sharing information.

If you do not have helpful info dont respond! And certainly dont respond back with opinions on why you think the event sounds fishy, or is a "Big Red Flag". In my opinion that doesnt really help.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2011, 01:35:14 PM by Steven Leonard »

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2011, 01:35:23 PM »

To those that posted criticism of the event rather then lending a hand I would say be aware that when you post a response you dont always know all the information.

We go with the info we're given.  It's not our fault if you weren't completely forthcoming in your OP.

Lose the attitude, dude.
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Steven Leonard

• Sands Productions
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2011, 01:50:48 PM »

We go with the info we're given.  It's not our fault if you weren't completely forthcoming in your OP.

Lose the attitude, dude.

Did you really go with information given or did you make a pronounced judgement on the information given?

James A. Griffin

« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2011, 01:55:23 PM »

The rider the band used last month might not be the one they are using for your gig.

The gig in question is a charity event I am providing production for. Robert Bell (Kool) from Kool and the Gang is taking the stage (joining a hired band) along with some of his bandmates. Also appearing are Jeffrey Osborne (LTD) and Thomas McClary (Commodores).

You have just made my point.   You are now saying that you are providing for  1) Robert Bell   2) A hired band   3) some of "The Gang"   plus two other solo artists.     I doubt that rider / backline requirements for Kool & The Gang will look much at all like what is needed for this gig.   You'll probably get the most accurate info by talking to the hired band.   Plan the show around them and add whatever mics or gear the others need when they get around to telling you about them.
I need to determine where in this swamp of unbalanced formulas squatteth the Toad of Truth

Steven Leonard

• Sands Productions
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2011, 02:02:33 PM »

You have just made my point.   You are now saying that you are providing for  1) Robert Bell   2) A hired band   3) some of "The Gang"   plus two other solo artists.     I doubt that rider / backline requirements for Kool & The Gang will look much at all like what is needed for this gig.   You'll probably get the most accurate info by talking to the hired band.   Plan the show around them and add whatever mics or gear the others need when they get around to telling you about them.

The hired band is responsible for all their own backline and I have already talked with them about requirements. Worst case scenario Bell will just use that however, in the thinking of going a little bit above expectations I would like to provide an extra bass rig (at least for Bell) and extra Guitar amps (Kool and the Gang and Thomas McClary). Just a peek into an old rider would to the trick. I really just need to get in idea. I want to make these guys happy for sure! Thanks!
« Last Edit: July 21, 2011, 02:06:47 PM by Steven Leonard »

Art Welter

• Santa Fe, New Mexico
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2011, 02:14:01 PM »

The hired band is responsible for all their own backline and I have already talked with them about requirements. Worst case scenario Bell will just use that however, in the thinking of going a little bit above expectations I would like to provide an extra bass rig (at least for Bell) and extra Guitar amps (Kool and the Gang and Thomas McClary). Just a peek into an old rider would to the trick. I really just need to get in idea. I want to make these guys happy for sure! Thanks!
Randy Frierson used to be a regular LAB poster, worked (or works) with Kool & the Gang.

http://www.concertsystemsusa.com/powerpodaudio/home.html

But the gig you are doing seems to have little to do with "the Gang" ;^).

Steven Leonard

• Sands Productions
« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2011, 02:22:03 PM »

Randy Frierson used to be a regular LAB poster, worked (or works) with Kool & the Gang.

http://www.concertsystemsusa.com/powerpodaudio/home.html

But the gig you are doing seems to have little to do with "the Gang" ;^).

Thanks Art! I will shoot an email to Randy! I really just need the rider/backline for their preferred bass rig and guitar rig. The actual rider is insignificant since it is not a headlining event and it is not the whole "Gang". I also wanted to get a feel for what it is is like to work with the band leader Robert Bell. I am hoping he is flexible! haha Thanks for the help!

James A. Griffin

« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2011, 02:36:30 PM »

I also wanted to get a feel for what it is is like to work with the band leader Robert Bell. I am hoping he is flexible! haha Thanks for the help!

We get that you want to do the best possible job for an artist who was at the top of his game, even if that was 35 years ago.   We just don't get all the angst over this.  An artist who doesn't provide a rider for you is by definition "flexible".  Give him your best and enjoy the moment.
I need to determine where in this swamp of unbalanced formulas squatteth the Toad of Truth

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2011, 03:43:29 PM »

I also wanted to get a feel for what it is is like to work with the band leader Robert Bell. I am hoping he is flexible! haha Thanks for the help!

We get that you want to do the best possible job for an artist who was at the top of his game, even if that was 35 years ago.  We just don't get all the angst over this.  An artist who doesn't provide a rider for you is by definition "flexible".  Give him your best and enjoy the moment.

Yup.  The 'tude is unbecoming.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Steven Leonard

• Sands Productions
« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2011, 01:03:29 AM »

We get that you want to do the best possible job for an artist who was at the top of his game, even if that was 35 years ago.   We just don't get all the angst over this.  An artist who doesn't provide a rider for you is by definition "flexible".  Give him your best and enjoy the moment.

Where is the "Angst"? If you look at my OP all I really asked for was a rider/backline list.  I have given you guys more information because you asked for it. There is no "angst"

All I wanted was a simple backline list! haha

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2011, 01:03:29 AM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.044 seconds with 24 queries.