ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: SPL apps?  (Read 4883 times)

Mike Allgeier

SPL apps?
« on: January 21, 2011, 04:57:49 PM »

I just got an iPod Touch for Christmas and am out researching useful apps for it and I was wondering if anyone here used any of the SPL apps that are available for that device? If so, which ones do you use and how do you like them?

Thanks,

Mike

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
Re: SPL apps?
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2011, 05:14:26 PM »

I just got an iPod Touch for Christmas

Please go to your profile and change the "Name" field to your real full name as required by the posting rules clearly displayed at the top of the page.

Mac

Mike Allgeier

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2011, 02:28:11 PM »

bump back up to radar level. Lot's of views but no responses due to thread being locked.

Joseph Yoon Jr.

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2011, 08:21:27 PM »

the thing about SPL apps on an iPod or an iPhone or other "smartphone" device is that their microphones can only handle so much SPL.

I believe my Droid X maxes out at 100dB--which I guess is somewhat useful if your gigs stay below that.

Riley Casey

• Wash DC
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2011, 08:37:21 PM »

Check the specs on your particular iPod.  After the first iPhones had intelligibility problems with LF noise Apple limited the mic response with a steep cut off at 200 hz.  Makes them fairly useless for SPL measurements of music.  Current iPod touch I'm not so conversant with.  Mine has no mic while my iphone has the steep LF cut off.  All of those caveats aside I have both the analog meter version and the SPL recorder from these folks :  http://www.studiosixdigital.com/

Mike Allgeier

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2011, 10:09:26 AM »

Thanks, that's what I was wondering, if it was even viable, Guess I'll pass on getting one of those.

Mike

Joules Newell

• Newell Acoustic Engineering
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2011, 08:42:43 AM »

Depends what you're after.

I use the Studio Six Digital stuff.

As I have the luxury of an older iPhone (3GS) I can use their iAudiointerface.

I've used the SPL stuff against some very serious SPL measuring equipment and it tracks beautifully. For the majority of uses I can no longer see any point at all in using B&K or Castle SLMs.

With the compensation filters in place on the internal mic you get a surprisingly good measurement down to reasonable frequencies.

For serious measurement the iAudiointerface make the suite of programs a very good PROFESSIONAL solution (I have been pleasantly surprised at every turn with this app)

If you're running up to 90dB then the app alone is "OK" beyond that you need the I/O box with the mic. but that then takes you into "serious kit" territory.

Robert Patch

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2011, 11:29:39 AM »

"Audio Tool" for Droid only went to 90 db when it came out but with the last update it now goes over 100 db.  I've seen 104-5.  I don't know how high it goes.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2011, 11:29:39 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 22 queries.