ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: My very quick impression of the JBL PRX625's  (Read 6338 times)

Brian Snyder

My very quick impression of the JBL PRX625's
« on: July 18, 2011, 07:02:24 PM »

I am a weekend warrior, just do small gigs primarily in Connecticut.  Usually in bars and small clubs.  I used to have a rack full of amps and passive mains and monitor speakers.  I got tired of lugging everything around, so I purchased an all powered setup.  Started with QSC K10s and K12s for monitors and small acoustic gigs.

I wanted to get some larger main speakers for full band a slightly larger gigs.  I was looking for something quite portable that had full range (I don't want to lug around subs anymore!), sound good, and could get reasonably loud.

I primarily looked at the PRX625s and the QSC KW153.   I had a chance to listen to them side by side in San Francisco.  I fully expected to purchase the QSCs, but after listening to them with several types of music, I really thought the JBL sounded better.  It sounded to my untrained ear like there was an unnatural bump in the midrange on the QSC, and I just didn't find it pleasing.  It didn't hurt that the JBLs are 28 lbs lighter!

I also listened to the PRX635's, I was surprised to find that they didn't sound as good as either of the other 2.  I expected higher fidelity with the 3 way system, but perhaps a little less power and bass.  Not what I heard.

I had a chance to use them outdoors yesterday for a charity gig.  Rock and Acoustic rock bands, in a large park.  2 PRX625's only for mains.  I was blown away.  I didn't think they would provide enough sound for such a loud space.  I cannot tell you how many compliments I got on the sound.  I walked out a good 40-50 yards from the stage and the sound was still fantastic.  Quite articulate, vocals were very clear and the bass really came through (the kick drum still had substantial impact at that range). 

I will say that the amps do get quite hot when driven.  The lack of fans concerns me a little bit, but I've driven these speakers hard the couple of times I have used them and haven't had an issue yet. 

A definite 2 thumbs up from me.  If you are looking for lightweight, powerful full range speakers, definitely give the PRX 625's a listen. 

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
Re: My very quick impression of the JBL PRX625's
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2011, 07:12:09 PM »

I walked out a good 40-50 yards from the stage and the sound was still fantastic. 

From this I ASSume there was no or very little ambient sound to interfere with the performance.  I should be so lucky.  With those same speakers provided for me at an urban "street fair" they were unable to provide a listenable SPL level past 25 yards........

Everything sounds great if it's quiet out.
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Alan Sledzieski

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2011, 07:59:42 PM »

From this I ASSume there was no or very little ambient sound to interfere with the performance.  I should be so lucky.  With those same speakers provided for me at an urban "street fair" they were unable to provide a listenable SPL level past 25 yards........

He did say small gigs, not a fair :)

Steve Edwards

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2011, 12:55:07 PM »

I am a weekend warrior, just do small gigs primarily in Connecticut.  Usually in bars and small clubs.  I used to have a rack full of amps and passive mains and monitor speakers.  I got tired of lugging everything around, so I purchased an all powered setup.  Started with QSC K10s and K12s for monitors and small acoustic gigs.

I wanted to get some larger main speakers for full band a slightly larger gigs.  I was looking for something quite portable that had full range (I don't want to lug around subs anymore!), sound good, and could get reasonably loud.

I primarily looked at the PRX625s and the QSC KW153.   I had a chance to listen to them side by side in San Francisco.  I fully expected to purchase the QSCs, but after listening to them with several types of music, I really thought the JBL sounded better.  It sounded to my untrained ear like there was an unnatural bump in the midrange on the QSC, and I just didn't find it pleasing.  It didn't hurt that the JBLs are 28 lbs lighter!

I also listened to the PRX635's, I was surprised to find that they didn't sound as good as either of the other 2.  I expected higher fidelity with the 3 way system, but perhaps a little less power and bass.  Not what I heard.

I had a chance to use them outdoors yesterday for a charity gig.  Rock and Acoustic rock bands, in a large park.  2 PRX625's only for mains.  I was blown away.  I didn't think they would provide enough sound for such a loud space.  I cannot tell you how many compliments I got on the sound.  I walked out a good 40-50 yards from the stage and the sound was still fantastic.  Quite articulate, vocals were very clear and the bass really came through (the kick drum still had substantial impact at that range). 

I will say that the amps do get quite hot when driven.  The lack of fans concerns me a little bit, but I've driven these speakers hard the couple of times I have used them and haven't had an issue yet. 

A definite 2 thumbs up from me.  If you are looking for lightweight, powerful full range speakers, definitely give the PRX 625's a listen.

Steve Edwards

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2011, 01:02:10 PM »

I would tell you that you should buy with your ears first and numbers second. Over the years I am amazed how many people will buy into the same problems because they don't listen first. JBL, QSC, RCF and a dozen others make good products. Listen, check serviceability, find your price point and buy the PRX if they fit your needs. Many people will tell you what ever they bought is the best and maybe for them it is. Buy for you and listen first.....

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2011, 01:09:48 PM »

He did say small gigs, not a fair :)

The point is that the claim of presence and clarity at a distance says more about the ambient sound conditions than it does about the speaker capability.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2011, 01:58:54 PM by dick rees »
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2011, 01:09:48 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.03 seconds with 25 queries.