ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hanging pendant speakers in gym  (Read 7077 times)

Jerry Turnbow

• Sound On Site Audio Services, LLC
Hanging pendant speakers in gym
« on: August 02, 2011, 09:31:05 PM »

I'm involved with an installation where a particular domestic manufacturer's speakers are to be hung in a gymnasium.  The manufacturer furnishes a 2mm wire rope, a carabiner, and self-locking holder, etc. as well as a safety cable for redundancy, to support this 21 lb speaker.

My concern/question, is that the manufacturer's installation document shows, as the recommended installation method, looping the 2mm wire rope directly around a metal beam.

Most of my flying experience has been with portable, live audio, where we never ever wrap a wire rope around a metal beam, without some padding - burlap, etc. to prevent metal-to-metal contact, sharp pressure points on the wire rope, etc., or else suspend with approved hardware (shackles, forged eyebolts, etc.)

I know that we're talking about a 21 lb speaker here, and my research shows a typical 1/16" 7x7 rated wire rope, which is smaller than the 2mm in diameter, is rated for 480 lb, but hanging a thin metal rope on a rough-edged beam 30' in the air over grade schooler's heads just doesn't seem right.

Am I being overly paranoid or concerned about this?
Jerry Turnbow
Sound On Site Audio Services, LLC

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
Re: Hanging pendant speakers in gym
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2011, 09:34:24 PM »

I'm involved with an installation where a particular domestic manufacturer's speakers are to be hung in a gymnasium.  The manufacturer furnishes a 2mm wire rope, a carabiner, and self-locking holder, etc. as well as a safety cable for redundancy, to support this 21 lb speaker.

My concern/question, is that the manufacturer's installation document shows, as the recommended installation method, looping the 2mm wire rope directly around a metal beam.

Most of my flying experience has been with portable, live audio, where we never ever wrap a wire rope around a metal beam, without some padding - burlap, etc. to prevent metal-to-metal contact, sharp pressure points on the wire rope, etc., or else suspend with approved hardware (shackles, forged eyebolts, etc.)

I know that we're talking about a 21 lb speaker here, and my research shows a typical 1/16" 7x7 rated wire rope, which is smaller than the 2mm in diameter, is rated for 480 lb, but hanging a thin metal rope on a rough-edged beam 30' in the air over grade schooler's heads just doesn't seem right.

Am I being overly paranoid or concerned about this?

Definitely not!!!
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

duane massey

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2011, 05:29:24 PM »

We used to use beam clamps with eyebolts for these speakers. Extra $5-7 per hang, but I certainly felt better about it. Safety would sometimes be looped over the beam, but a lot of installers (not our company) didn't use the safety.
Duane Massey
Technician, musician, stubborn old guy
Houston, Texas

Joseph D. Macry

• Austin TX
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2011, 10:26:23 AM »

It sounds like you're talking SoundTube or similar design.
I have hung several of these in gyms directly around steel beam members. The ones I hung came with a second steel cable to be installed more loosely as a backup.

If this gym is for organized (sanctioned) competition, they may have rules about keeping so many feet of clear space above the game court. School districts in my area require 25 feet clear for competition.
Joseph Macry,
Austin, TX

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2011, 10:26:23 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 25 queries.