ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: Stage collapses on Cheap Trick:  (Read 19868 times)

TJ (Tom) Cornish

• St. Paul, MN
Re: Stage collapses on Cheap Trick:
« Reply #30 on: August 03, 2011, 01:41:27 PM »

There will also be a few bags of shackles and wire rope slings going in the destroy pile.
And most or all of the truss, structure, and stage.  The price of scrap aluminum dips briefly...

Randy Frierson

« Reply #31 on: August 03, 2011, 06:25:43 PM »

Well just to give a positive side for Mega Stage, i was a vendor of their's for a few years and they were always very safety first and everything i ever saw that came from them was first rate, their welding looked really good..They were about making money but never at the exspense of safety or cutting costs, so i would hope that folks wouldnt rush to judgement to fast as this is their livelyhood....Randy
PS Their guys were also first rate....

Absolutely. A few years back when a truck carrying a load of V-DOSC got in a wreck, we had to send every cabinet (that wasn't destroyed) to L'Acoustics USA to be re-inspected. It was a tedious process but the only way to ensure the rigging was in tact. We replaced all the bumpers, too.

And the latest: Cheap Trick cancel show in Vancouver over staging concerns, Black Keys raised concerns about the same stage a week prior to the fall.

http://www.spinner.ca/2011/08/01/cheap-trick-ottawa-bluesfest-black-keys/

Charlie Zureki

• South Eastern Michigan (near Windsor)
« Reply #32 on: August 03, 2011, 09:44:31 PM »

Is anyone else impressed that the PA stayed in one piece, bumper and all?
Tough stuff indeed, but this could mean that each and every piece of rigging, especially those built in to the cabs, may need to be inspected, possibly load tested and re-certificated or replaced which could become very expensive in both time and money.

Regards,
Trevor

There is no "could"or "possibly" in cases like this.
That system is going to be on the way back to Meyer as soon as the insurance company is done with it.
There will also be a few bags of shackles and wire rope slings going in the destroy pile.

Hello,

FWIW....

Here's the thing.... there's a large portion of Techs, PMs, TMs, Stage Managers, Sound Co. owners, Lighting Co. owners, Staging & Roof providers, etc...and OSHA inspectors, Insurance inspectors, and Local municipal inspectors  that know that any rigging, truss, lighting, hanging gear, chain motors, bumpers, line arrays, etc... needs to be inspected and certified by their respective manufacturers BEFORE it is used after an accident/incident.

But, there's a lot of people whom neither know this, nor, care to know that there's the added expenses of have this equipment/gear checked and certified.

While I'm sure that publicized incidents such as this WILL ensure that all of this gear will be re-certified...(or not passed, and scrapped).... "things" have slipped through similar incidents in  the past.

Hammer

Do it the right way....don't be a Dino!

Jonathan Johnson

• Southwest Washington (state, not DC)
« Reply #33 on: August 04, 2011, 01:32:49 AM »

Here is a bunch of photos that I was emailed a link to.

http://gallery.me.com/paul.costa#100019&bgcolor=black&view=grid

Were the trees a contributing factor to the failure, or a casualty of the failure?
Stop confusing the issue with facts and logic!

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #34 on: August 04, 2011, 09:15:58 AM »

Were the trees a contributing factor to the failure, or a casualty of the failure?

It's probably too early for anyone connected with the investigation to make such determinations, but from the cell phone videos posted around the web, the stage failed in the upstage direction.  The trees were behind the stage or to the sides.  Methinks the trees were victims of the wind and stage roof failure, not the cause... but I'm not there, I'm not a expert.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #34 on: August 04, 2011, 09:15:58 AM »

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.02 seconds with 24 queries.