ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Stage collapses on Cheap Trick:  (Read 20018 times)

Dave Barnett

Re: Stage collapses on Cheap Trick:
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2011, 10:08:25 PM »

paul bell

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2011, 10:51:02 PM »

The video in the link has been removed. BUT I found this video. While stage collapses are never good, few people got hurt in this one. Another factor is that the stage fell backwards, not forwards onto the crowd.

REDUCE YOUR VOLUME FIRST:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dfqpXNfywT4

David Buehler

• db Production Services LLC
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2011, 11:09:50 PM »

This is a Mega Stage MKIII roof, with the full wind wall wrap. From what i can tell, other than scheer size and weight there, theres nothing that would prevent the solid wind walls from acting as a wind catch (aside from the large vents at the top)

http://www.mega-stage.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=60&Itemid=83&lang=en

The PR says this was a Wall of Sound package... I know there were several MSR units also onsite, but non of those were damaged.

http://www.ctv.ca/CTVNews/TopStories/20110717/ottawa-bluesfest-stage-collapse-110717/
« Last Edit: July 19, 2011, 01:48:22 AM by David Buehler »
David Buehler
Owner
db Production Services LLC

Audio - Video - Staging & Roofs - Crewing - Production Management & Design

Charlie Zureki

• South Eastern Michigan (near Windsor)
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2011, 06:28:20 AM »

This is a Mega Stage MKIII roof, with the full wind wall wrap. From what i can tell, other than scheer size and weight there, theres nothing that would prevent the solid wind walls from acting as a wind catch (aside from the large vents at the top)

http://www.mega-stage.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=60&Itemid=83&lang=en

Some of the online videos seem to indicate that this most likely a Solotech production package (lots of milo/HP700s), anyone know who else was a provider? I know there were several MSR units also onsite, but non of those were damaged.

http://www.ctv.ca/CTVNews/TopStories/20110717/ottawa-bluesfest-stage-collapse-110717/

Hello,

There were atleast two seriously injured at the collapse. One with spinal injuries, and, one tech that was crushed, suffering a broken pelvis and some type of impale-type wound to the mid-section.  There were also a half-dozen of other, less serious injuries, such as broken bones, abrasions and cuts.

I believe the Sound Company was Wall Sound of Ottawa, Canada

Notice that the Video Walls were not blown over?   ???

Hammer
« Last Edit: July 18, 2011, 06:54:44 AM by Charlie Zureki »
Do it the right way....don't be a Dino!

Bob Cap

• Classic LAB
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2011, 09:02:04 AM »

And then we get shit from people about shutting down stages in storms.

Bob Cap
AAI
Gilbert, MN

Steven Barnes

• SBTS Inc.
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2011, 11:45:11 AM »

We headlined that show on July 12th on that stage that collapsed. Really scary to think something like this could happen, it was a pretty good size stage (140'x52') if I remember correctly. Needless to say we just finished up a run last night in Quebec City, on the same type of stage Mega Stage MKIII Touring with the same storm cell coming through. Fortunately they called a weather delay to clear the stage for a little bit, and we were able to finish the show a bit later. I will say the whole crew was a little on edge though.

Here is a picture of the stage from FOH on July 12th. You can see the video wall are not attached to the stage, they are popup's from a self contained 48' tractor trailer.
Audio Engineering, Design, Consulting
SBTS Inc.
www.sbts-inc.com

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2011, 12:00:26 PM »

And then we get shit from people about shutting down stages in storms.

Bob Cap
AAI
Gilbert, MN

Amen, brother Bob.  I've lost a couple of festival clients that were far less concerned about the safety of the artists, public and crew than they were about pleasing sponsors.  One of them is out of biz, and I wish the other was.  This job ain't worth dying for.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Chuck Simon

• Pittsburgh, Pa.
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2011, 01:54:15 PM »

Not on the same level, but I lost a big(for me) outdoor gig this year because last year my partner warned the crowd of huge thunder storm heading our way.  There were seniors and dis-abled people in the crowd and it seemed like a good idea, but it pissed of the promoter.  He said "don't tell them that, they'll leave!"  Finally, the chief of police had to shut down the show over the protest of the promoter.

Well, he found another, more cooperative sound guy this year but I'm not sure how he plans on handling the local authorities!
« Last Edit: July 18, 2011, 01:57:52 PM by Chuck Simon »

Preston Soper

« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2011, 01:57:55 PM »

These winds were described as tornado force winds in the article.
Here is the history graph for that day in the city of Ottawa.
My family and I would like extend our prayers to those injured and affected by this tragedy.

Average Wind Speed 8 mph        
Max Wind Speed   32 mph       
Max Gust Speed   60 mph
Folks, We have reached our cruising altitude now, so I'm going to switch the seatbelt sign off. Feel free to move about as you wish, but please stay inside the plane till we land… It's a bit cold outside, and if you walk on the wing it affects the flight pattern.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2011, 01:57:55 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 24 queries.