A&H ZED 12FX (USB)
- 8 (40%)
Mackie Onyx 1640 (used)
- 8 (40%)
Soundcraft MFX12
- 3 (15%)

Total Members Voted: 20

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Help Me Pick A Mixer  (Read 7305 times)

Dave Bigelow

• Louisville, KY when I am actually home...
Re: Help Me Pick A Mixer
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2011, 09:12:35 PM »

I just always look at future expansion, would rather buy once. To each their own though.

Kemper Watson

• Woodstock GA
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2011, 09:13:40 PM »

MixWiz + outboard or StudioLive 16.  If it weren't for the drums, you could use an original O1V.
[/quote

+1 on the MixWiz

Dave Barnett

« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2011, 09:34:58 PM »

I'd look on eBay for a used A&H MixWiz.

I'll jump on the MixWiz bandwagon too.

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2011, 07:33:05 AM »

Lots of people jump on the Mix Wiz bandwagon only to find later in life that regardless of cult status it's almost an equal to the Mackie Onyx 1640 with fewer features. Sound quality is critical to me, and in my situation, where the board was used as a stage mixer for a dual system, the additional four BUS format allowed routing options the A&H couldn't match.

The 1640 is semi retired now and being used for recording only, and as a backup to my APB Pro House (LOL as if that might fail), which is mounted in the same rack, doing the same job. The APB is 100 times the board of any board mentioned above and offers more features again (20 channels, PAD, variable high pass, etc.) in the same format as the 1640. It's a board that also has much better sound than an O1V, and better sound than an LS9 or Midas Venice series. And before it's said I don't need 1000 gizmos and layers of channels to make the APB sound better than the digital boards mentioned. So, OP, if you want a good board that's flexible and reliable find a used or buy a new 1640. If you want an incredible board that you'll be using in 6-7 years, poney up and buy the APB Pro House.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2011, 11:16:48 AM »

Lots of people jump on the Mix Wiz bandwagon only to find later in life that regardless of cult status it's almost an equal to the Mackie Onyx 1640 with fewer features. Sound quality is critical to me, and in my situation, where the board was used as a stage mixer for a dual system, the additional four BUS format allowed routing options the A&H couldn't match.

The 1640 is semi retired now and being used for recording only, and as a backup to my APB Pro House (LOL as if that might fail), which is mounted in the same rack, doing the same job. The APB is 100 times the board of any board mentioned above and offers more features again (20 channels, PAD, variable high pass, etc.) in the same format as the 1640. It's a board that also has much better sound than an O1V, and better sound than an LS9 or Midas Venice series. And before it's said I don't need 1000 gizmos and layers of channels to make the APB sound better than the digital boards mentioned. So, OP, if you want a good board that's flexible and reliable find a used or buy a new 1640. If you want an incredible board that you'll be using in 6-7 years, poney up and buy the APB Pro House.

APB rules, no doubt.  But the reason the venerable and ubiquitous MixWiz is so often mentioned is bang for the buck.  If you have the money, go higher end.  If you're looking for an established "road warrior", go with the MixWiz. 

Some salient points:

1.   Comes in several configs including the 14:4:2 if you want sub-groups.  When racked with outboard the two stereo channels can be used with a couple of outboard tube pre's for "money channels".  With the dual input features they can also be used for playback during breaks at the push of a button.

2.  Rugged.

3.  Repairable.  While the Onyx series is fine when working, the MixWiz can be fixed almost anywhere.  Not so much with Mackie gear.

So when all things are considered, I'd go with the A&H brand first.  But I'd still dream about APB.........
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2011, 04:25:31 PM »

Dear Dick,
In most ways I tend to always agree with you in the end. So in this case I'll agree with;

1. If the OP can find a Mixtaka Wiz with the 4 bus feature for the same or less than the 1640 he should buy it.

2. The Onyx series is not the in the same league as the older non Onyx boards. Same quality as A&H.

3. After almost seven (7) years I haven't had any problem, or do I know of anyone who has stepped up and said they have had problems. It's a wash, so repairable, I don't know, however, the Mixlizard has the edge.

11. I own one and still dream about it.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

Mark Gensman

« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2011, 05:41:04 PM »

If you buy an MG Yamaha promptly smash it and take it to the nearest dumpster and save yourself the trouble.

(sorry, not a fan)

Interesting comment. I have a MixWizard and an MG 206 and they both sound fine. Different features on each mixer, although I like the single knob compression on the Yamaha and the better EQ on the A & H.

But junk? I disagree. The Yamaha was $400 less than the MixWiz and has held up well and sounds just fine.

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2011, 06:19:47 PM »

If you buy an MG Yamaha promptly smash it and take it to the nearest dumpster and save yourself the trouble.

(sorry, not a fan)

Interesting comment. I have a MixWizard and an MG 206 and they both sound fine. Different features on each mixer, although I like the single knob compression on the Yamaha and the better EQ on the A & H.

But junk? I disagree. The Yamaha was $400 less than the MixWiz and has held up well and sounds just fine.

+1........on trashing the MG series.  Compression doesn't matter one whit when the EQ is almost non-fuctional.  Total mush in that respect.  When actually "mixing" rather than "mushing" you'll need a good channel EQ looooong before you need any compression.

And the A&H is "prettier".

PS

The MG that I DO have was found in a dumpster.  I keep it around for a doorstop.
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2011, 12:07:32 AM »

I'm voting with you Dick on the MG series, and on the Mixwiz. This is the ballpark the OP has the money to play in so I agree with you in that the MW is the way to go.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2011, 12:07:32 AM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.021 seconds with 25 queries.