A&H ZED 12FX (USB)
- 8 (40%)
Mackie Onyx 1640 (used)
- 8 (40%)
Soundcraft MFX12
- 3 (15%)

Total Members Voted: 20

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Help Me Pick A Mixer  (Read 5585 times)

Dave Wightman

Help Me Pick A Mixer
« on: July 16, 2011, 08:08:54 pm »

So I am starting to assemble my own PA system and so far, I have 2 RCF Art312A speakers (these are my own) with a powered mixer and 4 passive Phonic speakers (which I am borrowing from a friend of mine in the acoustic band). I am hoping to soon buy 2 more powered speakers along with an unpowered passive mixer. This will mostly be used for a 2 man acoustic band myself and a friend of mine have just put together. We will also have a bass player occasionally playing with us, so at most, I will need about 5 inputs for this band (3 mics for vocals and 2 inputs for guitars). This will also be used for a 4 piece classic rock band that has 2 guitar players, a bass player, and drummer that I will be doing sound for. They have 3 vocal mics and as of now, I will not be mic'ing any instruments or have any amps going into the PA. Also if possible, I would like to try to do some recording with this mixer. I am not sure which mixer will be best for me, but have limited it to a few options that I think will work best. My budget is about $500 (give or take $50 or so). Thanks! And if anyone knows of any mixers that would work for me that are not on here, please feel free to include them.

Dave Bigelow

• Louisville, KY when I am actually home...
Re: Help Me Pick A Mixer
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2011, 04:29:05 am »

If you buy an MG Yamaha promptly smash it and take it to the nearest dumpster and save yourself the trouble.

(sorry, not a fan)

I'd look on eBay for a used A&H MixWiz.

luis Markson

• Just keep going....
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2011, 04:58:45 am »

If you buy an MG Yamaha promptly smash it and take it to the nearest dumpster and save yourself the trouble.

(sorry, not a fan)

I'd look on eBay for a used A&H MixWiz.

I'd second that, but also add that I just saw a GL2200 go on ebay for about $500. It looked it great nick too.

Jeff Bankston

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2011, 04:59:56 am »

i wouldnt pick any of those.

Tim Padrick

• Indianapolis
    • T.P. Audio
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2011, 11:48:37 pm »

MixWiz + outboard or StudioLive 16.  If it weren't for the drums, you could use an original O1V.

John Moore

• "learning the hard way sucks donkey kong"
    • Trinity Productions
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2011, 03:39:49 pm »

MixWiz + outboard or StudioLive 16.  If it weren't for the drums, you could use an original O1V.
+1
http://www.trinityprosound.com 209-832-8023
DEALER:Dealer for Yorkville, EV, QSC, RCF, Danley Sound Labs, VTC, Allen & Heath, Ashly, Denon,  Audix, One Systems, Beyerdynamic, Presonus, K&M, Ultimate,  Trusst, Road Ready, Gator, Radial Engineering, Turbosound, dB Technologies, RCF, American Audio,  Rapco, CBI Cables, ADJ, Chauvet, Blizzard, Furman, Shure, Tascam, Elite Screens,  BenQ, Midas, Digico,  and many many more...

Geoff Doane

• Halifax, NS
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2011, 05:51:17 pm »

If it weren't for the drums, you could use an original O1V.

OK, I'll bite.

What makes the original 01V incompatible with drums?  I seem to get away with it.  ;)

GTD

James A. Griffin

« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2011, 07:19:01 pm »

If it weren't for the drums, you could use an original O1V.

OK, I'll bite.

What makes the original 01V incompatible with drums?  I seem to get away with it.  ;)

GTD

You'll only have 12 mic inputs.   You can get more by adding an 8 channel mic pre such as Presonus.    I'm not sure if you can add a full 8 to the original 01V96.  Anyone?
I need to determine where in this swamp of unbalanced formulas squatteth the Toad of Truth

Dave Bigelow

• Louisville, KY when I am actually home...
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2011, 08:08:04 pm »

Well you could get away with it if you like the kick and overhead thing but I think most of us prefer more control over the drum mix. I'd rather have the snare, hat, and toms even if it's a tiny room where I may not turn on half those mics. Better to have it there than to wish that you did.

Ned Ward

• SR Forums
  • Redondo Beach, CA
    • Our band's page on Facebook
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2011, 08:45:22 pm »

Considering the OP said he wasn't going to run any instruments through the PA, I think the 01v will be fine. I upgraded from a Mackie 1642 and a rack of gear to an older original 01v and it's what I use for 3-4 vocals, keys, and occasionally bass, 2 guitars, and kick. That's 9 mic inputs with 3 left over.

I think that given the uses he outlined above, an 01v would be a great choice and be much better than many of those listed. With an ADAT card, even better.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2011, 08:45:22 pm »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.066 seconds with 25 queries.