ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: LabSub > EAW KF940?  (Read 13876 times)

Joe Breher

• Front Range, CO, USA
LabSub > EAW KF940?
« on: July 16, 2011, 03:33:09 AM »

I think the topic lays it all out. Would you prefer to own (eight) LabSubs or (eight) EAW KF940? Why?

(edit notes - the digit '8' in parentheses translates to some stupid smiley with sunglasses on)
« Last Edit: July 16, 2011, 03:36:52 AM by Joe Breher »

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
Re: LabSub > EAW KF940?
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2011, 09:41:06 AM »

I think the topic lays it all out. Would you prefer to own (eight) LabSubs or (eight) EAW KF940? Why?

(edit notes - the digit '8' in parentheses translates to some stupid smiley with sunglasses on)
It depends on what you are trying to do.

Is rider compliance an issue?  Is cost an issue?  Is size an issue? etc etc.

There are often advantages and disadvantages to different designs.  And what may be no big deal to one person is a really big deal to another.

Just saying there are a lot of different considerations that go into choosing one product over another.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Rob Triner

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2011, 01:37:18 AM »

I'd have to agree with Ivan Beaver. however, for a simple rough answer, The LAB sub will perform remarkably well for most situations. in many, it will exceed the KF-940 per distortion smoothness and (depending) extension.  There is also the ease of "tweakin it later" factor.  GOD BLESS Mr. Danley!
For the dollar, learning, and pride of creating- build a LAB and make sure to thank Mr. Danley for his contributions to our industry and the DIY community.  Also, post results!

Cheers,
   -Rob

Doug Fowler

• Member since May 1995, 2nd poster on original LAB, moderator on and off since 1997, now running TurboMOD v1.826
  • Administrator
  • Saint Louis, MO USA
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2011, 11:26:43 AM »

I'd have to agree with Ivan Beaver. however, for a simple rough answer, The LAB sub will perform remarkably well for most situations. in many, it will exceed the KF-940 per distortion smoothness and (depending) extension.  There is also the ease of "tweakin it later" factor.  GOD BLESS Mr. Danley!
For the dollar, learning, and pride of creating- build a LAB and make sure to thank Mr. Danley for his contributions to our industry and the DIY community.  Also, post results!

Cheers,
   -Rob

Rob -

Please go to your profile and ensure your real name gets displayed on your post.

Thanks

-doug, LAB moderator
Brawndo, the Thirst Mutilator. 
It's got electrolytes. 
It's got what plants crave.

Joe Breher

• Front Range, CO, USA
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2011, 01:04:53 AM »

It depends on what you are trying to do.

Thanks for weighing in. I am thinking about my next year's upgrade, which will be subs on the order of the above. I had been thinking LabSubs, but an ebay listing got me thinking about the KF940's. Not that I'll be buying this month, but it did get me thinking.

In my current situation, rider compatibility is not an issue. However, the direction growth is taking, it will become a bigger consideration. Point to the EAWs.

The LabSubs are a better fit for my transport. I can get 4 wide in the back of my truck, and have a nice 64 sq ft surface to stack lighter stuff on top of. The KF940's would only go 3-wide, mouth up. Score one for the LabSubs.

My inquiry is primarily output/LF extension related. Assume somebody else has to schlepp & stack - which would you rather be listening to?

John Chiara

« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2011, 08:37:46 PM »

Thanks for weighing in. I am thinking about my next year's upgrade, which will be subs on the order of the above. I had been thinking LabSubs, but an ebay listing got me thinking about the KF940's. Not that I'll be buying this month, but it did get me thinking.

In my current situation, rider compatibility is not an issue. However, the direction growth is taking, it will become a bigger consideration. Point to the EAWs.

The LabSubs are a better fit for my transport. I can get 4 wide in the back of my truck, and have a nice 64 sq ft surface to stack lighter stuff on top of. The KF940's would only go 3-wide, mouth up. Score one for the LabSubs.

My inquiry is primarily output/LF extension related. Assume somebody else has to schlepp & stack - which would you rather be listening to?

I use EAW tops with Lab subs..no rider issues yet. Plus, I can stack 4 Labs on 4 Labs in my truck...saves a lot of room and easy to move.

Joe Breher

• Front Range, CO, USA
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2011, 02:01:26 AM »

I use EAW tops with Lab subs..no rider issues yet. Plus, I can stack 4 Labs on 4 Labs in my truck...saves a lot of room and easy to move.

Hmmm... I've got the height to do that too. I kinda dismissed the idea as being a ball-buster. Then again, with some of the other stuff that needs to be moved about and stacked, I might not notice.

Chris Davis

• SR Forums
  • USA
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2011, 03:00:27 PM »

I'd get the LAB subs if I were in your situation.  I'd say their form factor is the most important thing I would consider on that level.  On the other hand I would get the EAW's if I already had some to begin with needed more to match. 

Easier to move is easier to move.

Brandon Romanowski

• IndigoConcertAudiDept.
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2011, 07:05:55 PM »

If you do decide to go with 940's I have a pair I can sell to you !!  :)

Brad Weber

• Marietta, GA
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2011, 12:48:32 PM »

Before awarding the point you might also want to consider cross rental and what other providers near you have.  If you need a few more boxes for a specific show could you get them from somebody else in the area?  Might you be able to rent some of your boxes to others if they're in that situation?

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2011, 12:48:32 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 25 queries.