ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Shelf port placement?  (Read 4330 times)

Derek Konop

Shelf port placement?
« on: July 14, 2011, 04:15:47 PM »

I have 2 homebrew reflex cabs loaded with 18" low riders that I built a while back based on the winisd plans provided by another labster. They are built to the large box specs provided by Peavey and I'm very happy with the performance of the cabs.  For the money I have invested I cannot complain.

If I build 2 more how should I plan on stacking them? Sometimes I deploy them left and right, but try to stack them on one side most of the time to avoid power alley in the small places we play. Should I stack all 4 with the port shelf down or should I lay them on their side so the ports are next to each other in the center? Or simply put the bottom two upside down and the top two right side up? Is there significant gain due to coupling or not so much?

Thanks
Derek
Trying to think of something clever to put here.

duane massey

Re: Shelf port placement?
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2011, 05:38:42 PM »

I don't believe port location is critical.
Duane Massey
Technician, musician, stubborn old guy
Houston, Texas

Art Welter

• Santa Fe, New Mexico
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2011, 06:07:15 PM »

I have 2 homebrew reflex cabs loaded with 18" low riders that I built a while back based on the winisd plans provided by another labster. They are built to the large box specs provided by Peavey and I'm very happy with the performance of the cabs.  For the money I have invested I cannot complain.

If I build 2 more how should I plan on stacking them? Sometimes I deploy them left and right, but try to stack them on one side most of the time to avoid power alley in the small places we play. Should I stack all 4 with the port shelf down or should I lay them on their side so the ports are next to each other in the center? Or simply put the bottom two upside down and the top two right side up? Is there significant gain due to coupling or not so much?

Thanks
Derek

At Fb, the ports will all likely be within 1/4 wavelength regardless of the stack.
The cones most likely will not be within 1/4 wavelength at the upper end of their range, so getting the cones closer together makes more sense than getting the ports together.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2011, 06:59:00 PM »

At Fb, the ports will all likely be within 1/4 wavelength regardless of the stack.
The cones most likely will not be within 1/4 wavelength at the upper end of their range, so getting the cones closer together makes more sense than getting the ports together.

Thank you, Art.  I've been trying to get folks to believe that lil' bit of physics for years.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2011, 06:59:00 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.029 seconds with 25 queries.