ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Best place to purchase LS9-16/Case Options  (Read 8393 times)

Garrett Vander Veen

• Garrett Vander Veen
Best place to purchase LS9-16/Case Options
« on: July 15, 2011, 04:54:42 PM »

Hey guys,

I'm going to be picking up an LS9-16, hopefully within the next few months. Are there any places I should check for pricing before the purchase? I already have a pretty good price from Full Compass, but money saved is money earned.

I'm also looking at case options for the LS9. So far, I've been looking at the Road Ready and the R&R cases. I'm sure the R&R is built better, but it could also cost $1000. The Road Ready seems like the doghouse is a little small. If anyone has an LS9-16, would you mind posting a picture of your case? Is there anything I should stay away from?

Thanks!
Garrett

Tom Hester

• Orange County, CA
Re: Best place to purchase LS9-16/Case Options
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2011, 05:33:58 PM »

Hey guys,

I'm going to be picking up an LS9-16, hopefully within the next few months. Are there any places I should check for pricing before the purchase? I already have a pretty good price from Full Compass, but money saved is money earned.

I'm also looking at case options for the LS9. So far, I've been looking at the Road Ready and the R&R cases. I'm sure the R&R is built better, but it could also cost $1000. The Road Ready seems like the doghouse is a little small. If anyone has an LS9-16, would you mind posting a picture of your case? Is there anything I should stay away from?

Thanks!
Garrett

I've used both, The RR case is about 5x as heavy as needed, but you will never question if your investment is safe. Where the Road Ready is pretty cheaply made, but would work fine if it rides in a safe place all the time. Maybe find something in the middle?

Garrett Vander Veen

• Garrett Vander Veen
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2011, 10:07:43 PM »

I've used both, The RR case is about 5x as heavy as needed, but you will never question if your investment is safe. Where the Road Ready is pretty cheaply made, but would work fine if it rides in a safe place all the time. Maybe find something in the middle?

Are there any good "middle of the road" companies that come to mind?

(Brian) Frost

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2011, 03:32:28 AM »

Are there any good "middle of the road" companies that come to mind?

getting tired of writing this as the psw has erased it three times now with 'posting errors'...

I used an ewi case
http://audiopile.net/products/Cases/Mixer_Cases/MXC-12L/MXC-12L_cutsheet.shtml

modified it by taking the rails and their mounting wood out of the case.  cut two inches off the bottom of the wood so when the rails go back in they sit 2 inches closer to the floor of the case.  You have to mount the rack rails correctly on the board for this to work. I removed the feet from the bottom of the board.  I then placed a pencil under the board so it would not rest all the way on the floor but you need to remove the feet as they are too tall and the tolerances are pretty close on this one.  Added a router between the side of the board and the side of the case.  Added a power strip and its worked out great.  small, reasonably light, decent protection.

(Brian) Frost

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2011, 03:35:39 AM »

getting tired of writing this as the psw has erased it three times now with 'posting errors'...

I used an ewi case
http://audiopile.net/products/Cases/Mixer_Cases/MXC-12L/MXC-12L_cutsheet.shtml

modified it by taking the rails and their mounting wood out of the case.  cut two inches off the bottom of the wood so when the rails go back in they sit 2 inches closer to the floor of the case.  You have to mount the rack rails correctly on the board for this to work. I removed the feet from the bottom of the board.  I then placed a pencil under the board so it would not rest all the way on the floor but you need to remove the feet as they are too tall and the tolerances are pretty close on this one.  Added a router between the side of the board and the side of the case.  Added a power strip and its worked out great.  small, reasonably light, decent protection.

(Brian) Frost

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2011, 03:36:17 AM »

front

Dan Richardson

• southern Vermont
    • NotTooLoud
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2011, 02:08:43 PM »

You have to mount the rack rails correctly on the board for this to work.

I've always been leery of a case where the mixer is bolted to rails.
Anything impacting the case directly impacts all of the mixer components.
I want my mixer to float in cushiony goodness.
The best sound system is no sound system. Everything else is compromise.

Dan Richardson

• southern Vermont
    • NotTooLoud
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2011, 02:48:09 PM »

I'm also looking at case options for the LS9.

The LS9 is such a cute little guy, hate to turn it into a 100 lb cube.
Mine rides in a Storm 2875 roller. I take it out to use it.
The tricky bit is that it goes in the case face down,
so the space above the faders accommodates the case's wheel housings.
The huge upside is it flies as checked baggage, no surcharge.
62", 50lbs, pretty much on the nose.

Nimrod Webber

« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2011, 12:36:50 AM »

... If anyone has an LS9-16, would you mind posting a picture of your case? Is there anything I should stay away from?

Thanks!
Garrett

I built my own case. No doghouse as I needed the smallest footprint possible.

The console was secured to the case afloat four rubber shock absorbers. Two aluminum angles were attached to the console’s right and left bottom corners. These extend a little to the front and back of the console frame and connect to the shock absorbers. The other end of the shock absorbers is secured to the case (bottom) with bolts that also hold the case feet.

The bottom half of the case was made shallow as possible so even the TOSlink connectors on the expansion card are conveniently accessible:

The only ‘problem’ was the phones jack and that was solved with a short extension:

The foam seen in the pictures is there only as a filler to prevent Sharpie, DOK etc, from sliding between the console and case…

:)
...so God created SOUND, and then God said...
http://www.boniton.co.il
http://www.bt-12.com/ Balanced Tilting Sounds Better... Facebook Users Group

Lee Brenkman

« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2011, 11:26:24 PM »

The LS9 is such a cute little guy, hate to turn it into a 100 lb cube.
Mine rides in a Storm 2875 roller. I take it out to use it.
The tricky bit is that it goes in the case face down,
so the space above the faders accommodates the case's wheel housings.
The huge upside is it flies as checked baggage, no surcharge.
62", 50lbs, pretty much on the nose.

Dan,

Is that the original foam insert from the LS9-16 cardboard shipping box inside that Stormcase?

Dan Richardson

• southern Vermont
    • NotTooLoud
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2011, 08:02:53 AM »

Is that the original foam insert from the LS9-16 cardboard shipping box inside that Stormcase?

Yeah, I trimmed off the areas for the AC cord and the manual.
Intending to redo it with foam sometime, but Yamaha ships it in that.

Don DeLong

« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2011, 12:30:00 PM »

We have the R&R for our LS9-16 and couldn't be happier with it.  It is heavy for something as small as the LS9, but I can still pick it up with one hand like a briefcase, and can set up the console and remove the lid by myself no problem.  It fits great on one of the  quarter pack by third pack cases for our EAW JFX260/290 that are in the rig it typically goes out with, and the lid on wheels is a big enough 'side table' next to it to hold a small light controller/laptop/etc. at a good working height when seated (great for corporate gigs).  The doghouse is big enough to keep a talkback mic and a stereo DI for playback devices if needed, too. 

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2011, 06:41:51 PM »

You won't find better pricing or hand holding than from Pro Sound Service in Braintree, MA. Charlie Tappa is the owner and the person you should call directly. Tell him I asked you to call. They are authorized and a full service dealer.

http://www.prosoundservice.com/
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

Guy Morris

« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2011, 11:32:00 AM »

Hi Garrett

I know that out of a case the LS9 16 is a welcome under the arm job but get a case that protects the desk against idiots. I was on a job in a restaurant where the staff were in a hurry to go home so decided to start moving my gear while I was out of the room for a minute, I came up the stairs to see my LS9 case in upright position sliding across the polished floor and heading towards the staircase edge because a waiter had pushed it with such force, fortunately it smacked into just the wall (damaging the plaster) but the 5 star case and LS9 were undamaged. A good impact absorbing foam cradle for the desk to sit in is essential with a snug fit lid to stop any movement or damage to the desk. Rack mount or sit in without impact protection foam is inviting trouble.

PS the waiter was called to the manager's office for a chat about his attitude ..and the damage to their wall! Yes expect idiots and no sympathy.

Now how do you stop all the other idiots from using your £1800 sub bass as a drinks table with most of the glasses tipped all over it...the Q sub stacking grooves make great little champagne lakes!

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2011, 11:32:00 AM »

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.086 seconds with 24 queries.