ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Networking  (Read 8889 times)

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
Re: Networking
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2011, 02:51:34 PM »

I have seen very, very few switch failures within the class of hardware I mention above. Many switch failures with home class junk. 

Good luck with your search.
Hi Bob,

In trying to get a rack-mountable wireless router with an external antenna I came across the CISCO1811-K9. The used unit I was looking at has since been sold, but I'd like to know if you had any experience with that model.

Thanks,
Bob Charest

The 1800 series are a well built product and generally found being used as access points in departmental configurations (smaller).

Be careful when buying these. I say that because they have fixed configurations which Cisco introduced to enhance "ease of installation". There's a link below for you reference.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/routers/ps5853/prod_qas0900aecd8028a95b.html

If your system will be closed (no outside traffic) then you might consider a pair of switches and a pair of true access points. You'll only be paying for what you need, and your system will be secure. Additionally, should an access point fail you will then be able to run hard wire between the stage and FOH (or other points) as needed.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps5678/Products_Sub_Category_Home.html

Keep in mind that routers are generally used to connect to networks outside of your common network. for instance, a network in another building, the web, or another subnet in a very large network. Again, why pay for something you don't need.

The 1040 series are good WAPs.

BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

Bob Charest

• Lab Lounge
  • Westbrook ME, USA
    • Bob Charest Band
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2011, 06:37:12 PM »

Hi Bob,

In trying to get a rack-mountable wireless router with an external antenna I came across the CISCO1811-K9. The used unit I was looking at has since been sold, but I'd like to know if you had any experience with that model.

Thanks,
Bob Charest

The 1800 series are a well built product and generally found being used as access points in departmental configurations (smaller).

Be careful when buying these. I say that because they have fixed configurations which Cisco introduced to enhance "ease of installation". There's a link below for you reference.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/routers/ps5853/prod_qas0900aecd8028a95b.html

If your system will be closed (no outside traffic) then you might consider a pair of switches and a pair of true access points. You'll only be paying for what you need, and your system will be secure. Additionally, should an access point fail you will then be able to run hard wire between the stage and FOH (or other points) as needed.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps5678/Products_Sub_Category_Home.html

Keep in mind that routers are generally used to connect to networks outside of your common network. for instance, a network in another building, the web, or another subnet in a very large network. Again, why pay for something you don't need.

The 1040 series are good WAPs.
Hi Bob,

Thanks much for the info/links! Understood about fixed config (20 years in IT) and after I'd gone through the doc, it seemed like the 1811 would have worked for me. My "Holy Grail" was a rackmounted solution with internal power supply and external antenna. In the small system my band uses, all addressable gear has hard-coded IP addresses. I could certainly use switches/WAPs but wanted to have it all in one rack space with an external antenna. I appreciate the reply and will check out the 1040 series.

Best regards,
Bob Charest

zohar pajela

« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2011, 09:05:17 PM »

thanks for all the replies guys! i got my hands full this couple of days so didnt have much time to reply.

like bob leonard was saying, we're trying to make our network as reliable as possible so we can get that headache out of the way. the biggest setups that we usually make consists of a 12 per side FOH(DPDA Vertec), 8 per side SOH(DPDA Vertec), plus we also include our itech amps in the network, which is usually about 7 per side. giving us all 54 network addresses, and we have to be able see how they are all performing at the same time,. now im thinking this might be heavy on the home class router(linksys) that we are using. That's why we end up losing one or two cabinets on the network from time to time but then eventually get it back and maybe that's why the network is sometimes reacting slow. plus we have to connect our tablet wirelessly on the network too, but eventually we lose connection to the router even if we are only 6 feet away. 

i'll try to look up on the dell routers/switches and maybe some cisco as well. thanks again for all the suggestions!

zohar

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2011, 09:05:17 PM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.028 seconds with 24 queries.