ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Using less that adequate wireless IEM's  (Read 3011 times)

peter dakin

Using less that adequate wireless IEM's
« on: July 20, 2011, 05:38:18 AM »

It happens sometimes, that we're faced with less than desirable equipment for what ever reason (budget/availability/advancing/poor hire company).

I usually A/B between my cue (hardwire/headpones) and the actual wireless pack and then apply EQ to aux master to try to match the two together. I was wondering if anyone took this further, going down the route of possibly Pink/Smaart to exactly match outputs.

John Sulek

• Toronto Canada
Re: Using less that adequate wireless IEM's
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2011, 09:01:40 AM »

It happens sometimes, that we're faced with less than desirable equipment for what ever reason (budget/availability/advancing/poor hire company).

I usually A/B between my cue (hardwire/headpones) and the actual wireless pack and then apply EQ to aux master to try to match the two together. I was wondering if anyone took this further, going down the route of possibly Pink/Smaart to exactly match outputs.
I advance two extra iem units.
One is for cue so that I am not happily clipping the high end of the rf link while listening to the amazing top end of the hardwire link. If your guys listen via rf, so should you. Also lets you know when you have reached the limit of the pan controls.
If the units are less than ideal, at least you are listening to the same thing as those who sign the cheques.
The other gets strapped across the stereo buss so that it can become a spare for any mix with a couple of button presses.

Cheers,
John

Jordan Wolf

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2011, 06:36:53 PM »

Whatever the group is listening with should be what you use to mix them.  As far as using a measurement system to calibrate the IEMs to a personal standard, it may be doable, but I think that spec'ing better units from the get-go would be a better investment of time and money.
Jordan Wolf
<><

"We want our sound to go into the soul of the audience, and see if it can awaken some little thing in their minds... Cause there are so many sleeping people." - Jimi Hendrix

peter dakin

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2011, 06:49:15 AM »

....I think that spec'ing better units from the get-go would be a better investment of time and money.

Haha.. If only it was that simple! Sadly management count pennies, before my time! Its a case of get the job done with tools provided!
Normally I get the gear I specify, but sometimes there's some nasty spanners thrown in. Its usually just old battered gear, like the old Shure system you tune with a screwdriver.

I normally have at least one spare pack (not receiver), but again budget usually dictates I can't use it as a cue, so it gets tuned to "money channel" (and acts as spare) so I can at least listen to one IEM pack. If I get spoilt and have all the toys, then yes I have a Cue pack and one over a matrix for Spare.
My question was more aimed at when your specifications are not met. It'd be a lovely world/industry if specifications were always met, however it doesn't always happen.

In terms of cue soley through a iem, the group (9-piece) have a mixture of wedges, hardwire packs and wireless so I tend to stick to desk output/money IEM during show, to avoid constantly swapping my output.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2011, 06:49:15 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 25 queries.