ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Not enough rig for the gig??  (Read 9526 times)

Teddy Murphy

Not enough rig for the gig??
« on: July 13, 2011, 11:14:50 PM »

Ok, here is the situation.  I have been approached by a group that is putting on a show with 2 "national" christian acts.  Neither of these are A list acts, and their riders aren't that picky.  In fact, the most difficult rider of the 2, I have met on more than one occasion at outdoor festivals.  The situation is that the room is a 2500 cap. gymnasium.  They are only opening the bottom half for seating and only selling 750 total tickets for the event.  If this were 750 people in a reasonable room, I would not doubt my rig, but with it being in a gymnasium of this size, I am kind of worried.  I have not agreed to do it, but they are on a REALLY tight production budget, so if I can't cover it, they may have some major problems.  Anyway, here is my rig:

4- JBL SRX722
4- JBL SRX728
1-Crown XTI1000 Highs
2-Crown MA3600 Mids
2-Crown MA12000i Subs
3-JBL MPRO 12" for front fill fed from 3 Crown XTI1000
DBX Driverack 260

Do you think that I can cover this adequately, if not, what would you recommend adding to cover this. 

Chuck Simon

• Pittsburgh, Pa.
Re: Not enough rig for the gig??
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2011, 12:45:22 AM »

There are going to be people that will be happy to tell you what the perfect rig for the gig should be, but I would feel  confident handling that situation with the gear  you have.  I'm assuming that you can meet their requirements for monitors, right? 

You know these guys and what they expect, don't worry about it.

Chris Carpenter

• Baton Rouge
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2011, 12:59:10 AM »

You know these guys and what they expect, don't worry about it.

It sounds like the hiring band is familiar with your rig and seems to believe it will be plenty. I wouldn't be too concerned. Denying them your services because you don't believe they will suffice will do a lot more to hurt your business relationship than being slightly under powered.

Robert Weston

• Power is cheap, reputation is not.
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2011, 06:53:15 AM »

Your rig appears to be more than enough, especially for indoors.

Is there an anticipated SPL requirement stated in the contract?

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2011, 07:20:42 AM »

It's enough rig.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

David Morison

• SR Forums
  • Aberdeen, Scotland
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2011, 07:38:10 AM »

Do you think that I can cover this adequately, if not, what would you recommend adding to cover this.

Regardless of the rig size, try and make sure there is as much curtain/drape on the walls as possible. If you're filling less than 1/3 of the room with waterbags, excessive reverb could be a bigger problem than not having enough speakers and amps.

And FWIW, while I haven't used those speakers before, I'd guess from their rep around here they'll do just fine.

HTH,
David.

Charlie Zureki

• South Eastern Michigan (near Windsor)
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2011, 07:40:26 AM »

It's enough rig.

+1
  And...even if it's not...I'm sure they'll be christian about it.. ;)

Have fun, don't worry.
  Hammer
Do it the right way....don't be a Dino!

Teddy Murphy

« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2011, 09:18:20 AM »

Thanks guys.  One of the 2 National bands travels with their own IEM rig, and while the other band that I have worked with's Rider asks for 6 Bi-amped wedges down the front, they have performed without complaint on my 6 MRX 512 wedges fed from XTI-2000's.  Drum wedge is a JBL MPRO 15 and a JRX 18' sub.  The rider for the band that I haven't worked with "requires" 110 dba at FOH which will be about 75 feet from stage.  The band, however, doesn't have a FOH guy and I am pretty confident that their TM isn't going to be walking around with a meter checking.  I personally haven't ever checked my rig for DB ratings.

RYAN LOUDMUSIC JENKINS

• Az Concert Sound Solutions
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2011, 09:36:47 AM »

Ok, here is the situation.  I have been approached by a group that is putting on a show with 2 "national" christian acts.  Neither of these are A list acts, and their riders aren't that picky.  In fact, the most difficult rider of the 2, I have met on more than one occasion at outdoor festivals.  The situation is that the room is a 2500 cap. gymnasium.  They are only opening the bottom half for seating and only selling 750 total tickets for the event.  If this were 750 people in a reasonable room, I would not doubt my rig, but with it being in a gymnasium of this size, I am kind of worried.  I have not agreed to do it, but they are on a REALLY tight production budget, so if I can't cover it, they may have some major problems.  Anyway, here is my rig:

4- JBL SRX722
4- JBL SRX728
1-Crown XTI1000 Highs
2-Crown MA3600 Mids
2-Crown MA12000i Subs
3-JBL MPRO 12" for front fill fed from 3 Crown XTI1000
DBX Driverack 260

If your headlineer is Tree 63 with the Marshalls turned up to 11 then you don't have enough rig at all!  If it is just about any of the other christian bands I have worked with then I think you'll be fine.

Chris Davis

• SR Forums
  • USA
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2011, 10:49:02 AM »

The rider for the band that I haven't worked with "requires" 110 dba at FOH which will be about 75 feet from stage.
 The band, however, doesn't have a FOH guy and I am pretty confident that their TM isn't going to be walking around with a meter checking. 

I've had that exact same thing happen before.  With acoustic acts.  It turned out that the band members didn't seem to know what the numbers really meant, and their tech rider was simply "borrowed" from other bands they met at larger events or festivals along the way.  They sent it out [as they put it] as an example rider.  Yeah...eight biamped monitor mixes, 29 channels, 4 KF850/EV X-Array traps per side or similar minimum & 4 dual 18 subs per side minimum, into a room that could hold 1000 at best.  All for two people with AC guitars and no accompaniment tracks.  As usual, I advanced it first...  Actual FOH concert levels were about 90 or 93 dB @100 feet.  ;D

« Last Edit: July 14, 2011, 11:00:44 AM by Chris Davis »

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2011, 10:49:02 AM »

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 23 queries.