ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Not enough rig for the gig??  (Read 9530 times)

Teddy Murphy

Re: Not enough rig for the gig??
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2011, 04:11:07 PM »

Thanks again guys.  The only issue we are running into now is the Riders say that analog consoles with proper outboard is acceptable, now one of  the TM's are trying to refuse anything less than an M7CL. Production budget prevents that from happening.  I am plenty comfortable on a digital console (M7 is one of my favorite consoles to mix on)  but I am more comfortable mixing on my console.  Sorry, just venting somewhat.

Chris Carpenter

• Baton Rouge
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2011, 04:40:48 PM »

the Riders say ... one of  the TM's are trying to refuse

This is where the rider works in your favor.

Mike Christy

• Southern Maine
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2011, 12:39:53 PM »

The rider for the band that I haven't worked with "requires" 110 dba at FOH which will be about 75 feet from stage.
 The band, however, doesn't have a FOH guy and I am pretty confident that their TM isn't going to be walking around with a meter checking. 

I've had that exact same thing happen before.  With acoustic acts.  It turned out that the band members didn't seem to know what the numbers really meant, and their tech rider was simply "borrowed" from other bands they met at larger events or festivals along the way.  They sent it out [as they put it] as an example rider.  Yeah...eight biamped monitor mixes, 29 channels, 4 KF850/EV X-Array traps per side or similar minimum & 4 dual 18 subs per side minimum, into a room that could hold 1000 at best.  All for two people with AC guitars and no accompaniment tracks.  As usual, I advanced it first...  Actual FOH concert levels were about 90 or 93 dB @100 feet.  ;D

Yup, I have a rider stating 120db SPL at 100', 180 degree coverage, do the power amp requirement calcs on that. Rediculous....

Randall Hyde

« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2011, 01:37:36 PM »

The rider for the band that I haven't worked with "requires" 110 dba at FOH which will be about 75 feet from stage.
Holy Crap!
That's gotta be real painful for the people in the front row.
I'm real happy getting 100 dba; that's generally loud enough for a rock show.

In any case, I usually run 4 JBL SRX 725 and SRX 728s cabinets. Last year I was doing crowds (outdoors) of about 2,500 to 3,000 and my rig ran out of gas at the back of the crowd. I'm adding delay stacks for the series this year (let's me turn down the stacks at the stage and that sounds a whole lot better).  Definitely the rig you've got should do <1,000 indoors real easy. But as others have said, I'd worry about the reverberation.
Chers,
Randy Hyde

Stuart Pendleton

• Colonial Yorktown, VA
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2011, 02:40:47 PM »

I had one of those riders show up a few years ago. Club for 300 or less. They did not get what they asked for, but it was truly painful even with what I gave them. It cured me of wanting to work with the big boys even in club land.

*Backline volume around 119db
*125db at Mix Position (75 ft or so back)
*4 x 15"+2" Bi-amp wedges in a semi-circle for lead singer

Tracy Garner

« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2011, 02:42:11 PM »

Holy Crap!
That's gotta be real painful for the people in the front row.
I'm real happy getting 100 dba; that's generally loud enough for a rock show.

In any case, I usually run 4 JBL SRX 725 and SRX 728s cabinets. Last year I was doing crowds (outdoors) of about 2,500 to 3,000 and my rig ran out of gas at the back of the crowd. I'm adding delay stacks for the series this year (let's me turn down the stacks at the stage and that sounds a whole lot better).  Definitely the rig you've got should do <1,000 indoors real easy. But as others have said, I'd worry about the reverberation.
Chers,
Randy Hyde

I ran that same setup on July 4 with pretty much the same crowd. You may not want to worry much about the back of the crowd because some people like to be back there so they can talk without yelling. I am find myself putting a set of 115 or 112 facing a bit toward center stage at stage height because the highs on the 725/728 stack is often over the heads of the first few rows outdoors.

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2011, 11:01:16 AM »

I would be sure to set up the rig to minimize getting sound on walls or ceiling. Perhaps getting the mains up high enough so you can tilt em down a bit to avoid the rear wall too.

Depending on the shape of the area (is the stage on long wall or short wall) and where the audience is, you may consider running dual pa vs simple 2 per side.
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Charlie Zureki

• South Eastern Michigan (near Windsor)
« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2011, 11:39:55 AM »

Thanks again guys.  The only issue we are running into now is the Riders say that analog consoles with proper outboard is acceptable, now one of  the TM's are trying to refuse anything less than an M7CL. Production budget prevents that from happening.  I am plenty comfortable on a digital console (M7 is one of my favorite consoles to mix on)  but I am more comfortable mixing on my console.  Sorry, just venting somewhat.

Hello,

If the TM is not going to actually mix for the group....what does he care what console YOU use, as long as you have enough channel inputs, and have a decent amount of outboard gates, limiters, comps and verb/delay units?
  Cheers,
  Hammer
Do it the right way....don't be a Dino!

Sam Zuckerman

• Baltimore, MD
« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2011, 02:15:10 PM »

It should do just fine. As mentioned, if you can hang drape, do it. I've had luck with some bus compression in order to help cut down on room reverberations. Though this was for speech only but if it's a problem it could be worth a shot.

We use a VERY similar rig for our 700cap. ballroom. It's plenty for that. We move the rig over to the 3500cap gymnasium for smaller shows. We did Lewis Black in there with that rig. The gym was sold out and we hung a bunch of drape so that helps. We also taped into the gym PA system and used it to fill just the upper levels.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2011, 09:05:50 PM »

Hello,

If the TM is not going to actually mix for the group....what does he care what console YOU use, as long as you have enough channel inputs, and have a decent amount of outboard gates, limiters, comps and verb/delay units?
  Cheers,
  Hammer

+1
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2011, 09:05:50 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 24 queries.