ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: PA system makes loud noise like a gunshot  (Read 25322 times)

Dave Manini

Re: Posting Rules
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2011, 08:26:27 PM »

DONE

Karl Winkler

• Lectrosonics
Re: PA system makes loud noise like a gunshot
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2011, 04:50:27 PM »

How about any wireless systems?

Agreed.  If you have anything that's wireless hooked into the system if anyone turns on something electrical like a ceiling fixture or item in a nearby room on the same circuit it could be intercepted. Mute out all wireless devices and see if the problem dissappears, OR run the system with no activity in the building. some wireless systems are better isolated than others.

Unless you are talking about very low-cost wireless microphones, this is unlikely to be the cause.

However, you got me to think about back EMF on the power lines. If an air-conditioning motor or other large inductive device were to be turning on and off, you may get a spike in the AC power that could cause a pop in the audio system. However, once again this is only if there is no spike protection either externally or internally to the audio system.

Now that the OP has brought up the idea of an acoustic guitar being added to the system... I think we have a likely culprit. Again possibly static discharge, an intermittent connection in the guitar or the cabling to the console, or some kind of DC potential (does the DI require phantom?) that is then being discharged into the audio stream.
In theory, theory and practice should be the same. In practice, they are not.

Jim Le Gros

« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2011, 07:29:19 PM »

Hi,
A tricky one. I have had faults to fix like this and these have been  due to various reasons; i.e. A phantom powered mic that had been exposed to too much moisture (A numpty had wraped his mouth around it), I have also had a lower grade Mackie (Tapco) amplifier make random noise i.e. clicks/bangs - self generated as some internal component failed; Another more surprising faulty was when a Classic model valve peavey guitar amp started to pick-up/amplify mains-bourne (supply) interference from a lift (Elevator), it was a oil driven lift system with a pump, when ever someone operated the lift loud clicks were amplified through the system. There have also been instances where items like microwaves or fridge thermostats in a nearby kitchen have caused loud clicks if they are on the same power-supply circuit.
Sorry to broaden the horizon of the problem, but in these cases you could spend quite a bit of time trying to isolate the problem by a process of elimination.
Jim.
I have been around in Electronics, Communications and Audio long enough to appreciate the tranquillity of my own home! :)
Or put it another way: I am old enough to identify Bakelite, an RS232 protocol or an EL84, but I am smart enough to teach you youngsters a thing or two about Windoze or Android! :)

Stu McDoniel

• Central Wisconsin...USA
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2011, 11:06:33 PM »

All of a sudden we have started getting a loud "bang" through our system at church.  It does not happen often or with any kind of irregularity.  There has not been any new equipment added to the system over the last year.  This problem has just surfaced out of nowhere.  It is loud and sounds almost like a gunshot.  We have a Soundtech 1250T powered mixer running through 2 Peavey PR12n's and a set of 12" Yamaha monitors.  Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.  I am beggining to wonder if it could be a problem in the mixer such as a short of some sort.  I have tried using a temporary 3 to 2 adapter plug to take the ground out thinking that may be an issue - but the problem is still there.  Thanks for any help !
I have experienced that...MIXER issue.  I will put money on that one.  Hit the mixer with your fist
when it is on (have the volume low) watch what happens.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2011, 11:06:33 PM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 25 queries.