ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Shure AMS 22  (Read 6253 times)

Tom Petrusky

Shure AMS 22
« on: July 13, 2011, 10:18:29 AM »

Any opinions on the Shure AMS 22 for use on stage. I have been sitting on a dozen for years and was wondering if they would be of any use on deck, ie drums, leslie, toms. I also have a few 28's as well. I would love to hear some fact based opinions, IE I have used them and had great/horrible results. I am not looking for a lengthy theological discussion on why one thinks they will or wont work. 

James A. Griffin

Re: Shure AMS 22
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2011, 02:31:20 PM »

Any opinions on the Shure AMS 22 for use on stage. I have been sitting on a dozen for years and was wondering if they would be of any use on deck, ie drums, leslie, toms. I also have a few 28's as well. I would love to hear some fact based opinions, IE I have used them and had great/horrible results. I am not looking for a lengthy theological discussion on why one thinks they will or wont work.

What mixer are you using with these?   Shure AMS22 mics visually resemble SM91, Beta91 etc, so it's tempting to think of using them in that way.   AMS mics are made to be used ONLY with Shure AMS mixers.  They are intended to work as a system and the circuits are designed and wired differently than anything else in your rig.    At best, they won't work.  At worst, you could damage your mixer.

FYI:  AMS is "Automatic Mixer System",  forerunner of the SCM800 series.
I need to determine where in this swamp of unbalanced formulas squatteth the Toad of Truth

Stuart Pendleton

• Colonial Yorktown, VA
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2011, 02:53:25 PM »

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2011, 02:55:51 PM »

What mixer are you using with these?   Shure AMS22 mics visually resemble SM91, Beta91 etc, so it's tempting to think of using them in that way.   AMS mics are made to be used ONLY with Shure AMS mixers.  They are intended to work as a system and the circuits are designed and wired differently than anything else in your rig.    At best, they won't work.  At worst, you could damage your mixer.

FYI:  AMS is "Automatic Mixer System",  forerunner of the SCM800 series.

It is unlikely they could cause damage, but they will not work as you might expect. What is on that male XLR is not a balanced signal from the mic. It is 2 unbalanced signals from 2 mics that are arranged so that the mixer can sense when the source is more than 60º off axis and mute the channel. It is an interesting system, but they are not general purpose mics.

If you have the mixers that go with them they might be usable as area mics, but they were intended as conference mics.

Mac

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2011, 02:55:51 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.023 seconds with 19 queries.