Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: MLA  (Read 6532 times)

Jean-Pierre Coetzee

• Classic LAB
  • Gauteng, South Africa
MLA
« on: July 13, 2011, 04:06:33 AM »

Have any of you worked with the MLA system from Martin Audio. They are making some interesting claims in their ads and I would like to know how this system performs in the real world.

Thanking you
Audio Technician
Word & Life Church

"If you want "loud", then run a piece of sheet metal through a table saw------

If you want "watts"-then plug in a toaster"
- Ivan Beaver

Chris Carpenter

• Baton Rouge
Re: MLA
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2011, 05:57:08 AM »

Have any of you worked with the MLA system from Martin Audio. They are making some interesting claims in their ads and I would like to know how this system performs in the real world.

Thanking you
I, too, am interested in how this actually performs. I understand the basis is individual processing for every loudspeaker? Is each setting generated from models, or calculated from measurements? But mostly, real live performance?

Rasmus Rosenberg

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2011, 07:32:38 AM »

Thanking you

Its just another kick ass speaker system. I heard it as a delay system to a Vertec rig and the outer delay was an older martin system. What's there to say, ALOT has happend in "+10 years" of speaker design.. Sounds good, rigs nice, measures good and offers a lot of new possibilities. Im sure Ferrit or Preston can write a nice review.

Pat Latimer

• Charleston, S.C.
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2011, 07:57:53 AM »

Jean-Pierre Coetzee

• Classic LAB
  • Gauteng, South Africa
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2011, 08:50:47 AM »

Audio Technician
Word & Life Church

"If you want "loud", then run a piece of sheet metal through a table saw------

If you want "watts"-then plug in a toaster"
- Ivan Beaver

Karl Winkler

• Lectrosonics
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2011, 10:51:27 AM »

Thanking you

I was given a tour of this system when the Zach Brown Band came through Albuquerque. I would have to say: it does exactly what they are claiming. It is very impressive and I thought it sounded excellent. It is not, by any means, "just another loudspeaker system".
In theory, theory and practice should be the same. In practice, they are not.

Brandon Romanowski

• IndigoConcertAudiDept.
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2011, 04:09:45 PM »

I heard through the grapevine that it takes almost a half hour for the computer to calculate the settings. Is that true ?

Karl Winkler

• Lectrosonics
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2011, 04:12:53 PM »

I heard through the grapevine that it takes almost a half hour for the computer to calculate the settings. Is that true ?

I don't remember exactly how long it takes, but yes, it takes a while and may be a half hour. Each individual driver in the array is being fed by it's own amplifier with it's own DSP-prepared signal. After determining the coverage pattern desired, the system tech inputs these parameters and then the computer models, through a process of iteration (successive tests) candidates for the setup. The best candidate that gives the closest approximation of the desired result is then used. It's a lot of computing power and time required. Probably could not have been done in any practical way just a few years ago.
In theory, theory and practice should be the same. In practice, they are not.

Lee Buckalew

• Classic LAB
  • St. Louis, MO area
    • Pro Sound Advice, Inc.
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2011, 05:05:36 PM »

Also keep in mind that that is only the calculations.  You can calculate multiple presets and each preset can be implemented within a matter of a few seconds so ... calculate with and without balcony coverage or a morning vs. afternoon vs. evening coverage and then change them between acts or even while someone is speaking (does not sound O.K. to change it during music).
Also remember that coverage calculations include those areas that you don't want covered.

I made this comment in Preston's thread but, A few months ago I had the chance to talk briefly to Robert Scovill about MLA and I asked what he thought of the system.  He had had a chance to hear them but not do a tour with them, His comment was "It's a game-changer".

Lee Buckalew
Pro Sound Advice, Inc.
Lee Buckalew
Pro Sound Advice, Inc.

Martyn ferrit Rowe

• are we there yet?
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2011, 06:50:26 PM »

Also keep in mind that that is only the calculations.  You can calculate multiple presets and each preset can be implemented within a matter of a few seconds so ... calculate with and without balcony coverage or a morning vs. afternoon vs. evening coverage and then change them between acts or even while someone is speaking (does not sound O.K. to change it during music).
Also remember that coverage calculations include those areas that you don't want covered.

I made this comment in Preston's thread but, A few months ago I had the chance to talk briefly to Robert Scovill about MLA and I asked what he thought of the system.  He had had a chance to hear them but not do a tour with them, His comment was "It's a game-changer".

Lee Buckalew
Pro Sound Advice, Inc.

hey Guys,
We just worked on the optimisation engines, typically the "first-pass" for array angles and "spangles" is under 3 mins depending on array size and the space your in.
The Elemental EQ optimisation" second-pass" is now about 5 mins depending on processor speed, array size, space size, etc.
And yes we are manipulating the sound field not just in coverage, but outside as well.

cheers,
ferrit

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2011, 06:50:26 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 24 queries.