ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: HD RF modulator. Does it exist?  (Read 5471 times)

Alex Thompson

• Central Ohio Sound
HD RF modulator. Does it exist?
« on: July 12, 2011, 05:01:40 pm »

I have a customer who, on his own, got a quote from Z-band for a bunch of video distribution equipment over cat 5/6 that distributes a HD RF signal.  What I would like know is what can be done on the input side of this?  I'm having trouble finding something that will take HDMI or VGA signal and convert it to a RF signal. 
I couldn't find much specific info through a google search but what I did find was some people saying it would take multiple thousands of dollars to make it happen.
Alex Thompson
Joy Audio Visual, LLC
d.b.a. Central Ohio Sound
www.centralohiosound.com

Brad Weber

• Marietta, GA
Re: HD RF modulator. Does it exist?
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2011, 07:22:10 am »

I have a customer who, on his own, got a quote from Z-band for a bunch of video distribution equipment over cat 5/6 that distributes a HD RF signal.  What I would like know is what can be done on the input side of this?  I'm having trouble finding something that will take HDMI or VGA signal and convert it to a RF signal. 
I couldn't find much specific info through a google search but what I did find was some people saying it would take multiple thousands of dollars to make it happen.
Contemporary Research's QMOD-HD and ZeeVee's ZVBox 170/180/280 are examples of devices with a VGA input that provide a HD RF output.  These run from around $1,200 to $2,500-$3,000.  I believe Z-Band recommends the ZeeVee boxes, have you asked them for suggestions?

Another option would be to convert the signal to HD-SDI and then use one of the number of HD-SDI modulators available.  Note that by the time you account for the modulator, UTP distribution devices and your displays you may be somewhat limited in the resolutions and scan rates supported through the entire chain.

HDMI gets into EDID and HDCP considerations and without spending quite a bit you get into a situation where a source with HDCP, either always active or triggered by the content, would probably shut down the source device output or drop it to SD resolution.

drew gandy

• Chicago and burbs
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2011, 11:24:18 am »

Yes, HDCP is the solution we always wanted.  So smooth and flawless you'd think you were dreaming.
Remember, you can talk yourself into (or out of) anything.  That's how the human brain works...

Alex Thompson

• Central Ohio Sound
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2011, 07:34:10 pm »

Thanks for the help. I think the ZeeVee is going to be the way to go.
Alex Thompson
Joy Audio Visual, LLC
d.b.a. Central Ohio Sound
www.centralohiosound.com

Matt Geiser

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2011, 06:39:01 pm »

Hey Alex

You said Cat5/6 but also modulated RF..  If you're doing distribution over Cat5/6 check out http://www.justaddpower.com

Saw it in person @ Infocomm and it was VERY impressive.  System will distribute uncompressed 1080 through a gigabit IP network.  Very affordable as well.  It was one of the cooler things I saw @ Infocomm.

They also make a lower cost version that will work over 100B-t network with jpeg2000 compression.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.08 seconds with 21 queries.