ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: May I please request some SUB guidance? THANKS!!!  (Read 8857 times)

Dane Davis

May I please request some SUB guidance? THANKS!!!
« on: July 11, 2011, 11:06:45 PM »

Hello, I am just breaking into this sound world a little...  I have 2 older EV MTL1 subs that I am considering new speakers for...  In my limited search there seems to be a few options considered, and I am open to any suggestions / concerns...

Option #1 - Replace speaker with Eminence Omega Pro 18A (approx $199 each) which seems to be a compatible 400 Watt speaker to the original EV DL18MTs that are in the box now

Option #2 - FAITAL PRO 18HP1020, these seem to have a little more umph at 1000 Watt RMS, 99db...  (approx $389 each)

Option #3 - EVX-180B, These seem wonderful; however, they are pricey at approx $480 each... 

Basically, I want to keep the boxes and maximize the sound...

Any concerns or suggestions for the Mainfold Technology cabinets? THANKS!!!

Dane

duane massey

Duane Massey
Technician, musician, stubborn old guy
Houston, Texas

Chris Carpenter

• Baton Rouge
Re: May I please request some SUB guidance? THANKS!!!
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2011, 02:15:55 AM »

In general, I disagree with the idea of upgrading drivers. Unless their is a serious design flaw with a loudspeaker (see JRX115 HF driver), swapping out a driver with one that is not designed for the cabinet is throwing away money. If you have as much as you are thinking about spending on drivers, sell the two cabs and buy better ones.

That $10k turbo kit for your honda wont do you nearly as much good as an e36 M3.

Paul G. OBrien

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2011, 11:19:08 PM »

I have 2 older EV MTL1 subs that I am considering new speakers for...   

Well.. since you're just at the considering stage here's a little more ammo that will hopefully steer you away from that idea. These boxes aren't really even "subs" by todays standards, EV literature says they are a semi horn loaded design but that in the bottom octave they act as a reflex box. Well.. that's bad for a few reasons, the biggest being that the bottom octave is 50-100hz with these things, another being that the original drivers(DL18MT) and even the very best EV replacements(EVX-180B) are lousy reflex drivers with limited excursion capability, and the last thing is that there is nothing in the box design to control driver excursion at low frequencies and no driver will make the box go lower. Every single SR level reflex loaded dual 18 on the market now outperforms these things, meaning they have roughly the same input sensitivity below 100hz, go quite a bit lower, handle more power, and get louder. What more do you need to know? If the existing drivers are still kicking sell these boxes and step into 21st century speaker technology.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2011, 11:20:58 PM by Paul G. OBrien »

Dane Davis

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2011, 10:27:04 PM »

Well.. since you're just at the considering stage here's a little more ammo that will hopefully steer you away from that idea. These boxes aren't really even "subs" by todays standards, EV literature says they are a semi horn loaded design but that in the bottom octave they act as a reflex box. Well.. that's bad for a few reasons, the biggest being that the bottom octave is 50-100hz with these things, another being that the original drivers(DL18MT) and even the very best EV replacements(EVX-180B) are lousy reflex drivers with limited excursion capability, and the last thing is that there is nothing in the box design to control driver excursion at low frequencies and no driver will make the box go lower. Every single SR level reflex loaded dual 18 on the market now outperforms these things, meaning they have roughly the same input sensitivity below 100hz, go quite a bit lower, handle more power, and get louder. What more do you need to know? If the existing drivers are still kicking sell these boxes and step into 21st century speaker technology.

Thanks to each of you for the great information. I do plan to upgrade these cabinets at some point....  For now, I will try to milk them for a little while during my search for upgrade. THANKS!!!

Peter Morris

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2011, 09:23:24 AM »

Hello, I am just breaking into this sound world a little...  I have 2 older EV MTL1 subs that I am considering new speakers for...  In my limited search there seems to be a few options considered, and I am open to any suggestions / concerns...

Option #1 - Replace speaker with Eminence Omega Pro 18A (approx $199 each) which seems to be a compatible 400 Watt speaker to the original EV DL18MTs that are in the box now

Option #2 - FAITAL PRO 18HP1020, these seem to have a little more umph at 1000 Watt RMS, 99db...  (approx $389 each)

Option #3 - EVX-180B, These seem wonderful; however, they are pricey at approx $480 each... 

Dane

The 180B is the closest in terms of TS parameters

http://www.electrovoice.com/sitefiles/downloads/534861.pdf
http://pdf.textfiles.com/manuals/STARINMANUALS/Bosch%20-%20EV/MTL-1.pdf

I think its the same box - looks like it made about 3dB more.

Peter

Tracy Garner

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2011, 11:00:11 AM »

Dane

I had MTL1x cabinets. These came with EVX-180B. I sold them after replacing/reconing woofers (OK some of it may have been my fault but). After 4-5 gigs, I started noticing slight buzzing that got worse over time.

Also be advised when you replace the speakers to pay attention to + or - as they are wired phase negative.

I ended up selling mine to another guy who ended up replacing all drivers with Peavey Lo Riders. He hasn't had a problem since.

There is a guy in Washington DC with a dozen of those boxes and he is using Selenium 18SWS800 in them and warns specifically not to use the 1100 watt Selenium.

They are loud...

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2011, 11:00:11 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 25 queries.