ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Need opinions on lightening my rig.  (Read 8565 times)

Mike Collatos

Need opinions on lightening my rig.
« on: July 11, 2011, 06:22:23 PM »

I am looking to lighten up my rig and would like some opinions from the community members on what options would be best to look into.

My focus for lightening the rig is to replace the mains, subs and amps. What i have works well and I am happy with the system overall but I want to get the system to where I can do the load in and load out on my own. It takes two to lift my mains onto my poles (100+ lbs) and my amp rack with the 4 amps is 150+ pounds.The subs are not too bad but I want to drop from 4 subs to two subs with a smaller footprint and the same output/thump.

Here is my current setup as far as what I want to replace:
Mains - pair Peavey HDH 44t
Subs - four Peavey HC118
Amps - 4 Behringer Ep2500

I have been looking at the Carvin and JBL series so far since I have a friend who can get me a discount if I go through him. I have also heard these rigs locally in action. Below are the two systems I have mocked up. I'd like to get some comments on the items I am looking at and possibly other options that would be better and maybe cheaper.

Carvin
Mains - two TRx115n
Subs - two TRx118N
Amps - DCM2004L x1 for monitors, DCM2000 x2 running mains and subs in bridge mode

JBL:
Mains - two MRX515
Subs - two MRX518S
Amps - Carvin DCM2004L x1 for monitors, DCM2000 x2 running mains and subs in bridge mode

I'd like some comments on each system I listed if possible, what you like, dislike, durability, support, issues and so forth. Obviously the JBLs' are a few hundred more then the Carvins and probably more liked. I have heard both systems and liked what I heard from each, I have never heard them side by side to do a actual compare. I can afford the Carvin's now. The JBL's would take a little longer to get but if the pros outway the price difference I will wait to get the JBL's. This is for my band and we typically do small to mid sized venues anywhere from 50 to 150+ people in-doors.

If anyone has any other options they can recommend I would appreciate it. I am looking to stay under 50lbs on each main and less than 100lbs on each sub, for amps I am looking at no more then 50lbs for all. Note: I will be running 4 monitor feeds so I need a 4ch amp or two light amps to support that. I like that the Carvin offers the 4 channel amp in one chassis but not sure who else offers this. i usually center cluster the subs but for some shows I split them up so pole mounts would be nice but not a deal breaker for me. I have also heard the Peavey QW series, I actually had two QW218 subs a while back before my devorce but I'm not really impressed by the QW mains. I know Yorkville has a good rep so I am open to suggestions on those, trouble is I have never seen any local Virginia rigs using Yorkville to see if I like the way they sound. I'd also like to stay with matching mains and subs. I run a 16ch MixWiz 3 and a Behringer DCX2496 for my speaker processing.

Thanks in advance!

David Parker

Re: Need opinions on lightening my rig.
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2011, 08:33:34 PM »

I've done the same thing over the last 4 years. I got my rig down to where I can load in, setup, mic the band, sound check, all in one hour, by myself. I built my own speakers, I always have, but I've heard great things about the JBL MRX series. I use QSC PLX amps. One thing to keep in mind, if you will be running subs, your tops don't need to be as beefy. That's where I cut a lot of my weight. I built my tops tall so that I can put them up on the subs and get the height I need. That way I'm never using speaker poles.

Scott Wagner

• Richmond, VA
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2011, 09:00:50 PM »

If you're looking at the JBL MRX products, you may want to check out their PRX600 series.  They're VERY light weight and powered (ie: no amps to haul around).  Not to mention XLR cables are much lighter than appropriate speaker cables.  Other options would be the Yamaha DSR series, QSC K or KW series, or EV ZX series.  All of these sound good (although people always have a favorite - give them all a listen), but the JBL PRX600 series are the lightest.

Scott Wagner
Big Nickel Audio
Scott Wagner
Big Nickel Audio

Paul G. OBrien

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2011, 10:26:50 PM »

If you're in the market for a complete system upgrade you would be a fool(IMO) to not investigate going completely active(powered), the latest offerings from Yamaha, QSC, JBL and others will easily outclass the gear you have listed.

Steve Hurt

• Lab Lounge
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2011, 10:42:20 PM »

I am looking to lighten up my rig and would like some opinions from the community members on what options would be best to look into.

My focus for lightening the rig is to replace the mains, subs and amps. What i have works well and I am happy with the system overall but I want to get the system to where I can do the load in and load out on my own. It takes two to lift my mains onto my poles (100+ lbs) and my amp rack with the 4 amps is 150+ pounds.The subs are not too bad but I want to drop from 4 subs to two subs with a smaller footprint and the same output/thump.

Here is my current setup as far as what I want to replace:
Mains - pair Peavey HDH 44t
Subs - four Peavey HC118
Amps - 4 Behringer Ep2500

I have been looking at the Carvin and JBL series so far since I have a friend who can get me a discount if I go through him. I have also heard these rigs locally in action. Below are the two systems I have mocked up. I'd like to get some comments on the items I am looking at and possibly other options that would be better and maybe cheaper.

Carvin
Mains - two TRx115n
Subs - two TRx118N
Amps - DCM2004L x1 for monitors, DCM2000 x2 running mains and subs in bridge mode

JBL:
Mains - two MRX515
Subs - two MRX518S
Amps - Carvin DCM2004L x1 for monitors, DCM2000 x2 running mains and subs in bridge mode

I'd like some comments on each system I listed if possible, what you like, dislike, durability, support, issues and so forth. Obviously the JBLs' are a few hundred more then the Carvins and probably more liked. I have heard both systems and liked what I heard from each, I have never heard them side by side to do a actual compare. I can afford the Carvin's now. The JBL's would take a little longer to get but if the pros outway the price difference I will wait to get the JBL's. This is for my band and we typically do small to mid sized venues anywhere from 50 to 150+ people in-doors.

If anyone has any other options they can recommend I would appreciate it. I am looking to stay under 50lbs on each main and less than 100lbs on each sub, for amps I am looking at no more then 50lbs for all. Note: I will be running 4 monitor feeds so I need a 4ch amp or two light amps to support that. I like that the Carvin offers the 4 channel amp in one chassis but not sure who else offers this. i usually center cluster the subs but for some shows I split them up so pole mounts would be nice but not a deal breaker for me. I have also heard the Peavey QW series, I actually had two QW218 subs a while back before my devorce but I'm not really impressed by the QW mains. I know Yorkville has a good rep so I am open to suggestions on those, trouble is I have never seen any local Virginia rigs using Yorkville to see if I like the way they sound. I'd also like to stay with matching mains and subs. I run a 16ch MixWiz 3 and a Behringer DCX2496 for my speaker processing.

Thanks in advance!

Not a fan of Carvin service.  Stuff breaks and they aren't helpful with parts or schematics.

The PRX518s subs are not good subs.  Don't waste your money on them
If you like JBL the SRX718's are good.
JTR Growlers and Triple 8's have served me very well for a small rig.
Yorkville makes some good stuff, but it's probably heavier than what you are after.

Scott Shaw

« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2011, 10:59:36 PM »

I have also heard the Peavey QW series, I actually had two QW218 subs a while back before my devorce but I'm not really impressed by the QW mains.
Really??

Ryan Peacher

• Charlottesville, VA
    • Ryan Peacher
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2011, 12:12:52 AM »

I know Yorkville has a good rep so I am open to suggestions on those, trouble is I have never seen any local Virginia rigs using Yorkville to see if I like the way they sound.

Where in VA are you? What line of the Yorkville products were you looking at? I have, and know people who own the TX line, but this line is probably bigger than what you are looking for...
---------------
Ryan Peacher | Freelance Engineer/Technician
T- 434.989.9843 | E- [email protected] | W- www.ryanpeacher.me

Russel Murton

• RPM Audio
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2011, 03:44:37 AM »

Mirror the suggestion for JBL PRX600 seeries or Yamaha DSR, QSC KW.

PRX600 series is cheaper and newer than MRX and sounds a heck of a lot better. They are also insanely light so if weight were the defining factor I'd go for a JBL PRX600 system, get the XLF subs over the normal 618's.

Otherwise I like QSC KW's over the PRX's sound wise for a more flat responce. The Yamaha I haven't heard much of yet but I like their MSR400's which I use for monitors so the DSR's can't be too bad. The DSR's are also priced very well.

So, weight wise, PRX, sound wise KW, somewhere inbetween Yamaha. The KW's aren't too heavy, subs at 40kg each and the three way top at 40kg each.

Kevin Tracy

« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2011, 08:56:10 AM »

I agree go active. All good suggestions. I will add I am getting
great results from my newish EV has ELX112p with and without
my homebrew JBL subs. Only negative is fragile paint so covers
required.

KT

Mike Collatos

« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2011, 10:45:47 AM »

Where in VA are you? What line of the Yorkville products were you looking at? I have, and know people who own the TX line, but this line is probably bigger than what you are looking for...

I live in King George just east of Fredericksburg but work and play all over NOVA. The TX line from what i just read is on the heavy side of what I am looking for.

It seems alot of people are suggesting the JBL PRX line over the MRX. I have never been a big fan of powered before but I really want to lighten up my rig so it is starting to really make sense to look in that direction.

I'm reluctant to buy anything I haven't heard in a live setting, listening to speakers in the store is no where near what they sound like in a live environment. I have heard the MRX live and can do a side by side of the MRK and PRX in the store to get some idea that would make me a little more comfortible buying them without hearing them in a live setting. I could also do a comparison of the QSC line as well. Not sure my buddie can get any deals on QSC though.

Thanks for the replys and suggestions.

Chuck Simon

• Pittsburgh, Pa.
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2011, 11:38:50 AM »

The PRX518s subs are not good subs.  Don't waste your money on them
The PRX518s have been replaced by the PRX 600 series.  If you are looking for performance per pound of weight, the new PRX stuff is hard to beat!  For example, the PRX 618S-XLF sub uses the same driver as in the SRX and VRX cabs, weighs about 85 pounds with built-in amp and processing.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2011, 11:41:50 AM by Chuck Simon »

Chuck Simon

• Pittsburgh, Pa.
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2011, 11:40:48 AM »

Dual post

Jack Herlong

« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2011, 01:09:12 PM »

+1  I have a new SRX712 over 718's rig, powered by a B-stock iTech 8000.  One channel for tops, one for subs.  It's an awesome, lightweight rig.  You didn't mention a specific budget, but this would be a great rig.

I have two of the PRX612's on monitor duty and like them pretty well so far.  I don't believe they are an equal match to the 712's, they do sound very nice.  I haven't heard the PRX subs, but by all indications, they are very nice boxes (the XLF model)  The PRX612/618XLF would be a very user friendly, plug & play option for you.

Chuck Simon

• Pittsburgh, Pa.
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2011, 01:36:31 PM »

I have two of the PRX612's on monitor duty and like them pretty well so far.  I don't believe they are an equal match to the 712's, they do sound very nice.

Interesting!  The comparison bewtween the 712 and PRX612 is something I have been considering.  I have the 712's and I am a big fan of them, but I see JBL rates the 612 at 134db and the 712 at 131db.  Considering that the PRX612 is powered and the 712's need a ton of power, the 612 comes out at less than half the cost and weight of the 712's I'm using with theorically better performance!  Now I have not heard the PRX612 yet, so I'm wondering - what's the catch?

Mike McNany

« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2011, 08:02:25 PM »

IF you go unpowered speakers, The QSC PLX line is great AND you can find great deals on them used. IF the power matches, the PLX1804 puts out 900 watts a side at 4 ohms, 600 watts at 8 ohms, and weighs in at 13#. The 1104 weighs the same but all the rest are 21# each. THEN use no more than 6RU spaced racks for the amps. Lighten AND split the load/carry. A amp rack behind each stack is great for high power rigs, significantly cutting lengths down on heavy gage speaker cable. I went all PLX a few years back and last year went all 6RU racks. My amp racks are under 60# each and I use 2 racks for FOH at 38# & 40#.

Mike McNany

Jack Herlong

« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2011, 01:53:39 PM »

I have two of the PRX612's on monitor duty and like them pretty well so far.  I don't believe they are an equal match to the 712's, they do sound very nice.

Considering that the PRX612 is powered and the 712's need a ton of power, the 612 comes out at less than half the cost and weight of the 712's

My 712/718/IT8K rig is 20 lbs heavier than the PRX612/618XLF combination, so the weight is not significantly different.  Between the two systems.  I have my entire FOH setup in a 4U mixer case.

[/quote]   Now I have not heard the PRX612 yet, so I'm wondering - what's the catch?
[/quote]

Probably my ears.  I just prefer the sound of the 712's vs the 612's so far. The 712's seem to have more cut & presence to me. I did a quick A-B test last week that wasn't exactly apples to apples.  When I have the time, I'll set them up side by side and give them a better comparison.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2011, 02:53:15 PM »

Now I have not heard the PRX612 yet, so I'm wondering - what's the catch?

The catch of the day is flounder... :D

There's no "catch," per se, they are different products.  They sound different, and when I've used the 612 on a corpy (lectern confidence/playback monitor for presenter) there is a definite sweet spot that I don't recall having in the 712.  I don't user either model often enough to give you a better description, and I haven't used the 612 in a way that requires it to get really loud.

Hopefully Jack H can put them side by side and let us know what he finds.

Have fun, good luck.

Tim Mc
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Brendan Callahan

• JBL Bags
« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2011, 03:11:25 PM »

Hey Mike. I'm somewhat biased, but definitely give the JBL PRX600 series some serious consideration. The MRX is great for small room applications, which may work for you most of the time, but it's always good to have headroom. Plus, the subs are only 70lbs. As far as the other brands you mentioned, I haven't heard of any of them  ;)
Brendan Callahan - JBL Bags, Gator Cases

Chuck Simon

• Pittsburgh, Pa.
« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2011, 12:53:57 AM »

The catch of the day is flounder...

What....fan mail from some flounder?

I hope I'm not the only one here that remembers Rocky and Bullwingle! :-[
http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_is_fan_mail_from_some_flounder
« Last Edit: July 14, 2011, 01:07:53 AM by Chuck Simon »

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2011, 12:53:57 AM »

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 24 queries.