ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: What the heck happened whist I was gone?  (Read 9333 times)

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
Re: What the heck happened reading?
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2011, 08:12:45 PM »

P.S.  Since this is a login-based system, what in the world do they have a Captcha verification for??

The Capcha screen goes away after 2 posts. Until a few days ago we also had admin approval of registration, which was needed to stop the flood of spambots that made it past the original 5 capcha posts. As the forums were open for a while the flood slowed down and we got rid of approval and 3 capcha screens.

P.P.S.  After I post, why did it return me to the previous screen with the listing of all the forum posts?

Because you didn't go to your profile and set things up the way you want them.

You may also find Membergroups useful.

Mac
« Last Edit: January 22, 2011, 08:14:26 PM by Mac Kerr »

Chris Davis

• SR Forums
  • USA
Re: What the heck happened reading?
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2011, 09:30:22 PM »

Thanks Mac.  That helps things out.

Chris

Emil Gawaziuk

Re: What the heck happened whist I was gone?
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2011, 11:25:34 PM »

Well, I say change is good. Having been a long time member round here, I have now seen 4 (I think, I don't really pay attention to this crap in all reality. It is just software and presentation methodology to me and I really don't get overly up in arms about it at all.  It is the people and information that they provide on here that is the important bit) software changes since the days of this little communitys beginnings.  Hell, I can't even remember how long I have been an active member........ something along the lines of at least 8 or 9 years.

Too much panic for no reason I say........  besides, no sense getting too comfortable with software things nowdays, it all changes quickly.   Only thing I would like to see is support for Tapatalk.  Makes accessing from a mobile device a lot smoother.

Thanks.

Keep up the good work Mac.

Dave Stevens

« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2011, 12:46:20 AM »

I would love to know where this misinformation came from, and why, after repeated corrections, it continues to be posted.

It came from because that's what was going to happen when the announcement was made.  Then after much consternation they backed down.  But the damage control wasn't good enough and they didn't do a good enough job at walking that position back.

Brad Weber

• Marietta, GA
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2011, 10:56:49 AM »

It came from because that's what was going to happen when the announcement was made.  Then after much consternation they backed down.  But the damage control wasn't good enough and they didn't do a good enough job at walking that position back.
I have to say that it was initially pretty clear that only specific threads or posts requested would be brought over and I did feel the members were put in the position of not only having to justify anything different but also berated for not supporting the planned process.  I'm glad to see a commitment to port everything over in some form of searchable archive and to address many of the other issues but the handling of the existing information base along with some other aspects of the transition seemed rather poorly planned and communicated.  I think much of that may be attributed to the new forums being made public, and in fact linked from the PSW Forums home site, while apparently still being viewed by the creators and admin as being in "Beta" status.

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
Re: What the heck happened
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2011, 11:22:09 AM »

Dave,

Doug, Tom Young, and I, and Brad Blackwood from the REP side were on conference calls starting in Oct. When the first call began there was no plan to save the old data. When the 4 of us protested that this was not acceptable we were assured that if the old data could not be integrated into the new site it would be saved as a searchable archive. This was 2 months before any announcement. I don't know where your information is coming from, but you were not on any of the calls I was on.

There is no question that the announcement was mishandled. It has cost this site in reputation and credibility. It has cost this site some valuable members, you among them, but that train has left the station. The only thing we can do now is try to make this site the best that it can be. There will be an archive. We are working on ways to make the flat view only software more usable. We are trying to move forward rather than looking backward.

There is a forum in the Bugs and Comments section at the top of the page where we are asking for suggestions and comments from the members so we know what the members want. Some things will not be feasible, there will not be threaded view for instance, but what is feasible will be addressed. When we moved to FUD forum software, I don't remember taking part in the decision to choose that software, maybe the folks complaining that they were left out of the process this time were consulted back then, I wasn't.

Till the next time the whole world changes we're going to keep trying to improve what has been the best pro audio website on the Internet. If some of the luster has been lost in the translation, we will try to bring it back.

Catch ya on the flip side.

Mac

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2011, 11:49:08 AM »

Dave,

Doug, Tom Young, and I, and Brad Blackwood from the REP side were on conference calls starting in Oct. When the first call began there was no plan to save the old data. When the 4 of us protested that this was not acceptable we were assured that if the old data could not be integrated into the new site it would be saved as a searchable archive. This was 2 months before any announcement. I don't know where your information is coming from, but you were not on any of the calls I was on.
How about here..  in January from a presumed authority on the transition,
http://forums.prosoundweb.com/index.php/topic,67.msg338.html#msg338
There is no question that the announcement was mishandled. It has cost this site in reputation and credibility. It has cost this site some valuable members, you among them, but that train has left the station. The only thing we can do now is try to make this site the best that it can be. There will be an archive. We are working on ways to make the flat view only software more usable. We are trying to move forward rather than looking backward.
amen... that's all everybody wants.
There is a forum in the Bugs and Comments section at the top of the page where we are asking for suggestions and comments from the members so we know what the members want. Some things will not be feasible, there will not be threaded view for instance, but what is feasible will be addressed. When we moved to FUD forum software, I don't remember taking part in the decision to choose that software, maybe the folks complaining that they were left out of the process this time were consulted back then, I wasn't.
I started out pretty active there.. even trying to suggest ways to better manage the problem of archiving posts, until I lost interest, for several reasons.
Till the next time the whole world changes we're going to keep trying to improve what has been the best pro audio website on the Internet. If some of the luster has been lost in the translation, we will try to bring it back.

Catch ya on the flip side.

Mac
I am tempted to say good luck, but luck has nothing to do with this.

I feel for you guys who serve as lightning rods for the obvious displeasure from the community.

This is a business with obvious value, somebody needs to shepherd that value.

JR
Cancel the "cancel culture". Do not participate in mob hatred.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2011, 11:49:08 AM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 20 queries.