Sound Reinforcement - Forums for Live Sound Professionals - Your Displayed Name Must Be Your Real Full Name To Post In The Live Sound Forums > The Basement

Testing Gun SPL's

(1/4) > >>

Eric Deweese:
Hello, Subject says it all.....I have a friend who is working on some tasty gun accessories to reduce recoil and Sound levels to the person firing the weapon. He asked me if I would help him do Preliminary testing to make sure he is indeed going in the right direction. So to my question, is there anybody who knows of a decently priced HIGH SPL meter that is portable? So far the only thing that I think is in range would be the Goldline SPL 162R.....and while he said we could work out a deal for that much $$ I was wondering if there were any other options out there that would help us get the prelim testing done before he drops serious cash on final testing analysis at a lab. Any input would be appreciated thanks!

Eric

John Livings:
Hi Eric,

You can start at .99 cents and go up from there.

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/spl-meter/id309206756?mt=8

Regards,  John

Charlie Zureki:

--- Quote from: Eric Deweese on July 09, 2011, 07:55:56 PM ---Hello, Subject says it all.....I have a friend who is working on some tasty gun accessories to reduce recoil and Sound levels to the person firing the weapon. He asked me if I would help him do Preliminary testing to make sure he is indeed going in the right direction. So to my question, is there anybody who knows of a decently priced HIGH SPL meter that is portable? So far the only thing that I think is in range would be the Goldline SPL 162R.....and while he said we could work out a deal for that much $$ I was wondering if there were any other options out there that would help us get the prelim testing done before he drops serious cash on final testing analysis at a lab. Any input would be appreciated thanks!

Eric

--- End quote ---

Hello,

To successfully capture accurate data for your project, you'll need a type 1, meter. It'll need the ability to be field calibratable. (you'll need a precision calibrator)
  It'll need the ability to measure PPL or Peak Pressure Levels as a standard SPL meter will not be able to capture the data fast enough, and/or some meters will average the impulse due to overloading the input.

You'll need a meter capable of "fast" impulse measurements of up to 180 dB.

Anything else would be useless information if this a serious project.

I'd recommend renting a Larson Davis 800 SPL or similar spec model.

Hammer

Paul Dershem:
I wonder if, as an alternative to dedicated hardware, there's software that can be installed on a laptop at a lower cost?

Charlie Zureki:

--- Quote from: Paul Dershem on July 09, 2011, 11:35:26 PM ---I wonder if, as an alternative to dedicated hardware, there's software that can be installed on a laptop at a lower cost?

--- End quote ---

Hello,

Probably, but, being a smaller market than a standard SPL meter or Dosimeter, (read: specialty equipment) there would most likely only a small amount of companies offering such gear.   (look to the Japanese Manufacturers ...or Larson & Davis (supplier to the Military, NASA, and Airport Noise Monitoring) 

Remember, that you'd still need a quality, calibrated microphone capable of high SPLs, and the signal conditioning box (preamp and power supply) and calibrator.

Hammer

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version