ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Fave small speakers for speech/light music application?  (Read 7332 times)

Nils Erickson

• San Francisco
Fave small speakers for speech/light music application?
« on: July 09, 2011, 04:40:38 AM »

Does anybody want to share their favorite small speakers for this application:
I want to cover several small zones at a wedding for a ceremony, and for toasts at dinner.  I plan on running them from a BSS FDS366T for delays, probably doing 4-6 zones at low volume.  The program is mainly speaking, maybe some light music for dinner.  I'm open to powered or passive ideas.  What I already have is a bunch of EAW LA212s, which are larger than I was planning on using but ultimately would work just fine.  Problem is, I am going to need even more of them; so, renting or buying something else may be an option.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Nils

Jordan Wolf

Re: Fave small speakers for speech/light music application?
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2011, 05:43:19 AM »

Nils,

QSC's K-series speakers get a lot of good reviews from end users.  I'd look into the K8 or K10 models.

They're powered, lightweight, can be set pointing straight-on or at a 7-degree angle, and can be used as a standalone unit without a mixer if needed.  Plus, I think they sound pretty good.  I haven't heard the K8s myself, but I should hope you would try and demo them before buying.

Good luck and let us know what you decide to do.
Jordan Wolf
<><

"We want our sound to go into the soul of the audience, and see if it can awaken some little thing in their minds... Cause there are so many sleeping people." - Jimi Hendrix

Jay Barracato

• Solomons, MD
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2011, 09:05:40 AM »

Nils,

QSC's K-series speakers get a lot of good reviews from end users.  I'd look into the K8 or K10 models.

They're powered, lightweight, can be set pointing straight-on or at a 7-degree angle, and can be used as a standalone unit without a mixer if needed.  Plus, I think they sound pretty good.  I haven't heard the K8s myself, but I should hope you would try and demo them before buying.

Good luck and let us know what you decide to do.

I use K10's for that application. I recently did a speaking/music event in a high school gym where I basically needed a short wide throw to cover the bleachers without bouncing too much off of all the hard surfaces in the room. 6 K10's worked fine for covering over 1000 students in the seats.
Jay Barracato

Dave Dermont

• Forum Moderator
  • Global Moderator
  • From The Great Pocono Northeast
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2011, 12:50:55 PM »

Although powered speakers are quite fashionable these days, you still have to run both power and signal cables to them.

For these kinds of gigs, that means twice as many cables that need to be dressed.

If you want to use a LOT of speakers, you should consider a constant voltage distribution system.

The Electro-Voice SX80T is small, inexpensive, sounds good, includes a 70v/100v transformer with multiple taps, and offers a wide variety of mounting options.

If you don't want to go the constant voltage route, they also make the plain old everyday SX80 without the transformer.
Dave Dermont

Warning: Dates on calendar may be closer than they appear

Mike Pyle

• Santa Rosa, CA
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2011, 05:23:53 PM »

EV ZX1 or ZXA1.

RCF ART310A or 310i.

Are you buying or renting?
Mike Pyle  Audiopyle Sound  707-315-6204
Dealer For: JBL, Soundcraft, Crown, dbx, AKG, Yorkville, EV, QSC, RCF, FBT, Danley Sound Labs, Meyer Sound, Fulcrum Acoustic, Tannoy, Lab Gruppen, Powersoft, Linea Research, EAW, Allen & Heath, Ashly, APB, Audix, One Systems, Presonus, K&M, Ultimate, Global Truss, Intellistage, SKB, Gator, Radial Engineering, Turbosound, Midas, dB Technologies, American DJ, Odyssey, ProCo, Rapco, CBI, Elation, Mipro, Chauvet, Blizzard, Shure, Whirlwind, Bassboss, Yamaha, Line 6, Behringer, On-Stage, more...

Nils Erickson

• San Francisco
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2011, 06:28:51 AM »

Good suggestions... I was looking at the K8 today; it is a cool little speaker, but Dave's point is good.  It's easier to set up and dress the passive speakers.  Also it is more easily reconfigurable if I quickly need to move them.  I won't be using so many as to warrant a 70 volt set up.  I am leaning towards picking up a couple more used LA 212s and doing it all with those.  Size-wise I was initially thinking of something more along the line of JF60s, though...

Thanks guys for the suggestions. 

Cheers,
Nils

Phil LaDue

• Central and Metro NY
    • Philip LaDue
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2011, 05:19:31 PM »

Good suggestions... I was looking at the K8 today; it is a cool little speaker, but Dave's point is good.  It's easier to set up and dress the passive speakers.
You're forgetting about combo cables.
Philip LaDue
Freelance Stagehand, A2, commercial driver, rigger, staging mechanic
M: 1-646-397-5028

Geoff Doane

• Halifax, NS
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2011, 08:18:52 PM »

If you want to use a LOT of speakers, you should consider a constant voltage distribution system.

True, but if you're doing 4-6 zones (as the OP is), 70V doesn't help you much unless you're able to find a 70V multi-tap delay line.  IMHO this is a perfect application for powered speakers.  Even if you can't find local power for them, they each consume so little power, that daisy chaining a power feed to them with discrete audio feeds shouldn't be too onerous.  The bonus is that each one has its own volume control.

I've used the ZX1s for this, both powered and passive, and they do a great job.  They also look really nice doing it (someone described them as wearing a "tuxedo"), and that may be an important consideration for wedding gigs.  They are a little odd in that they don't have a looping output (the ZXA1s), just a line out, so a gain adjustment at the first one in a string, affects any downstream from there.  A Y-cord would fix that problem.

GTD

Nils Erickson

• San Francisco
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2011, 10:53:25 PM »

I'm curious to hear the ZX1s, I've heard nice things about them... As far as each one having its own volume, I'll have control of that from the mixer and processor, and in one location.  I think the powered idea is nice if you can do one power drop for everything; if not, then there are possible ground loop considerations to deal with as well.  My event will be outdoors, and getting power to several locations is just another thing to do.

The combo cable idea is cool, but is not in my inventory; ultimately I feel it isn't as flexible for me even if it saves a step.  Plus I haven't seen any of these with heavy SO jackets (though I haven't looked hard, admittedly).

I guess the more I think about it, the more I am leaning toward passive.  I appreciate this board for making me think some of this through a bit more thoroughly, thanks all...

Nils

Phil LaDue

• Central and Metro NY
    • Philip LaDue
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2011, 11:20:06 PM »

The combo cable idea is cool, but is not in my inventory; ultimately I feel it isn't as flexible for me even if it saves a step.  Plus I haven't seen any of these with heavy SO jackets (though I haven't looked hard, admittedly).
The ones I like and regularly use are made by Link USA.
Philip LaDue
Freelance Stagehand, A2, commercial driver, rigger, staging mechanic
M: 1-646-397-5028

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2011, 11:20:06 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 24 queries.