ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down

Author Topic: New church plant sound setup  (Read 23051 times)

Aaron Fisk

Re: New church plant sound setup
« Reply #30 on: August 07, 2011, 10:06:38 PM »

I would guess there is an audio system already existing in the room so have you verified that you are not able to use any of the auditorium house system or gear?  Have you assessed where you can locate your mix position and how you get between it and the stage without creating trip hazards?  Have you surveyed what power provisions are available at the FOH position and at the stage?

Good questions.  I do not believe that the auditorium has a sound system, at least one that we would want to use.  There is a spot for the mix position.  We will have to run a snake past one of the entrances, we have not yet determined the best way to have it be avoided as a tripping hazard.  I have not yet had a chance to look at power provisions are available yet.  I hope to do that next week (our launch is in February). 

I participate on another forum that includes many school auditorium operators and managers, including some that share their facilities with church groups.  One of their most common complaints is cables, etc. getting damaged or disappearing.  Many times there may be cables and other equipment laying around and it is tempting to use it, which may be okay with them.  The problem is that it too often then ends up getting put in with the church gear when everything is loaded out, so you might want to coordinate labeling and storage of loose equipment in order to avoid such issues between you and the school.

Since we are not using their sound equipment (we will be using their projector I believe), so hopefully the cable issue is one we can avoid.  Really good advice thought, thanks.

Frank DeWitt

• LBP DI Box
« Reply #31 on: August 07, 2011, 11:27:05 PM »

Good questions.  I do not believe that the auditorium has a sound system, at least one that we would want to use.  There is a spot for the mix position.  We will have to run a snake past one of the entrances, we have not yet determined the best way to have it be avoided as a tripping hazard.  I have not yet had a chance to look at power provisions are available yet.  I hope to do that next week (our launch is in February). 

Since we are not using their sound equipment (we will be using their projector I believe), so hopefully the cable issue is one we can avoid.  Really good advice thought, thanks.

Your StudioLive could be run from a wireless remote.  That would eliminate the snake.  What it doesn't do is give you a way to play CDs or the audio track from videos or talk back or solo from the FOH position.  A work around that many people using the SAC mixer use is to use the remote, but also run a CAT5 OVER the entrance (easy to do with one CAT5) and run a few line level audio feeds over that for CDs, talk back, ETC.

I don't know if StudioLive supports solo control from the remote.

Not to Code

Aaron Fisk

« Reply #32 on: August 08, 2011, 03:59:54 PM »

I would guess there is an audio system already existing in the room so have you verified that you are not able to use any of the auditorium house system or gear?  Have you assessed where you can locate your mix position and how you get between it and the stage without creating trip hazards?  Have you surveyed what power provisions are available at the FOH position and at the stage?

I have included a photo of the electrical outlets on the side of the stage (it is the same for both sides).  I believe it is one normal outlet and four 220's, but I could be wrong.

Aaron Fisk

« Reply #33 on: August 08, 2011, 04:00:55 PM »

Here is a photo of the auditorium from the back.

Aaron Fisk

« Reply #34 on: August 08, 2011, 04:02:31 PM »

Here is a photo of the auditorium from the stage.

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #35 on: August 08, 2011, 04:15:15 PM »

I have included a photo of the electrical outlets on the side of the stage (it is the same for both sides).  I believe it is one normal outlet and four 220's, but I could be wrong.

It's always risky to speculate on things of this nature just from grainy photographs, but I doubt that those outlets are 220.  More likely 30 amp twist lock.  But sometimes people use such sem-proprietary outlets for connecting other things than AC.  Back in the day before Neutrik multi-pin speaker connectors, people would use twist-lock AC connectors for audio or other types of signal.

This place looks way to new for that, though, so I'm guessing 30A/110V outlets.  Ask the building engineer.
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

TJ (Tom) Cornish

• St. Paul, MN
« Reply #36 on: August 08, 2011, 04:37:58 PM »

Those look like lighting dimmer connections - not suitable for audio gear or anything other than a light fixture.

Aaron Fisk

« Reply #37 on: August 08, 2011, 04:40:34 PM »

Those look like lighting dimmer connections - not suitable for audio gear or anything other than a light fixture.

Not sure if this photo is any better, but it does show more of the plugins

TJ (Tom) Cornish

• St. Paul, MN
« Reply #38 on: August 08, 2011, 04:42:44 PM »

I will bet you a steak dinner those are dimmer channels controlled by the house lighting board.  I'll bet you two steak dinners if they say L5-20 on them.

Aaron Fisk

« Reply #39 on: August 08, 2011, 04:50:52 PM »

I will bet you a steak dinner those are dimmer channels controlled by the house lighting board.  I'll bet you two steak dinners if they say L5-20 on them.

Based on your reaction, I think it is a safe bet I should say no deal.   ;)  So it sound like they are not 220's. 

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #39 on: August 08, 2011, 04:50:52 PM »

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.021 seconds with 22 queries.