ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: New church plant sound setup  (Read 22980 times)

TJ (Tom) Cornish

• St. Paul, MN
Re: New church plant sound setup
« Reply #20 on: August 04, 2011, 05:32:17 PM »

In terms of the wireless mics, I know you have said that you like the Line 6's, but I think we are going to go with the ATW-3000 series.  I have heard a lot of really good things about them and I am just more comfortable with an industry standard.
That's certainly your choice.  If you want the industry standard for lower end wireless, that would be the Sennheiser 100/300 series.  AT is a minor player compared to Sennheiser and Shure.

Ryan M. Fluharty

« Reply #21 on: August 04, 2011, 06:41:17 PM »

That's certainly your choice.  If you want the industry standard for lower end wireless, that would be the Sennheiser 100/300 series.  AT is a minor player compared to Sennheiser and Shure.

+1 for the Sennheiser G3 100.  When we upgraded our old Sennheiser G1 Lavs because of the 700mhz spectrum change, we originally went with the AT-3000s.  We kept them for a week or two and then switched to the Sennheiser G3s.  To me, the AT-3000's feel cheap (plastic transmitters) and I don't believe they are as durable as the Sennheiser body packs, which are mostly metal.  Also, the Sennheisers I found a little easier to navigate and set up.  Don't get me wrong, the AT-3000s worked fine, but IMO durability and ease of functionality the Sennheisers are far superior.

I believe you said you're gonna use MM microphones with the body packs.  If you do go the Sennheiser route, save yourself some money and get the "instrument" setup.  Its the same body pack without the lav mic.

Aaron Fisk

« Reply #22 on: August 05, 2011, 02:36:43 PM »

I am getting a lot of feedback on various forums to consider the Line 6 wireless mics.  I guess I will have to take a look, the masses are speaking!  :)  Has anyone used the transmitter pack version of the Line 6? 

TJ (Tom) Cornish

• St. Paul, MN
« Reply #23 on: August 05, 2011, 02:43:04 PM »

I am getting a lot of feedback on various forums to consider the Line 6 wireless mics.  I guess I will have to take a look, the masses are speaking!  :)  Has anyone used the transmitter pack version of the Line 6?
If you read the Road Test link I posted above, there are some comments about the beltpack.  There's also another thread on the old PSW forum in the RoadTest section that may have some more info.

Frank DeWitt

• LBP DI Box
« Reply #24 on: August 05, 2011, 03:50:53 PM »

I have a AT 3000 wireless handheld and belt pack that we use regularly.  They work well, no complaints at all.  Certainly not the only game in town, but I can recommend them.  Careful shopping on Ebay can usually find them for about $350

Frank
Not to Code

TJ (Tom) Cornish

• St. Paul, MN
« Reply #25 on: August 05, 2011, 04:43:09 PM »

I have a AT 3000 wireless handheld and belt pack that we use regularly.  They work well, no complaints at all.  Certainly not the only game in town, but I can recommend them.  Careful shopping on Ebay can usually find them for about $350

Frank
Carefully reading my posts above for the name of a certain Line6 dealer will get you brand-new-no-EBay-Required Line6 gear for not tremendously more than that.  8)

Frank DeWitt

• LBP DI Box
« Reply #26 on: August 05, 2011, 10:12:49 PM »

Frank
Carefully reading my posts above for the name of a certain Line6 dealer will get you brand-new-no-EBay-Required Line6 gear for not tremendously more than that.  8)

I have heard good things about the line 6 mic (and tested one.) I would consider it for a mic for a talker (pastors belt pack transmitter) but I would be a bit nervous using it for a singer.

Our mixer has a latency of about 5 ms, the line 6 is just a bit under 4 ms.  We use IEMs for our worship team and 9 ms is enough to be noticeable with IEMs.

This is only an issue with IEMs and digital mixers.  The mic with a analog mixer would be OK and it would be OK without IEMs.

There is no delay with non digital mixers such as those by Sennheiser, or AT
Not to Code

Aaron Fisk

« Reply #27 on: August 06, 2011, 07:13:04 AM »

I have heard good things about the line 6 mic (and tested one.) I would consider it for a mic for a talker (pastors belt pack transmitter) but I would be a bit nervous using it for a singer.

Our mixer has a latency of about 5 ms, the line 6 is just a bit under 4 ms.  We use IEMs for our worship team and 9 ms is enough to be noticeable with IEMs.

This is only an issue with IEMs and digital mixers.  The mic with a analog mixer would be OK and it would be OK without IEMs.

This is the first I have heard of a potential latency issue with the Line 6.  We have a Presonus StudioLive 16.4.2 mixer.  The drummer will be using headphones via a headphone amp, but it won't be wireless.  Will we have a latency issue?

Frank DeWitt

• LBP DI Box
« Reply #28 on: August 06, 2011, 08:21:06 AM »

This is the first I have heard of a potential latency issue with the Line 6.  We have a Presonus StudioLive 16.4.2 mixer.  The drummer will be using headphones via a headphone amp, but it won't be wireless.  Will we have a latency issue?

You will have latency, but it is not clear if you will have issues.

Any device that converts audio to digital and back to audio has latency so the Studiolive like all digital boards has it and the line 6 has it, and they add.
Presounus doesn't say how much latency they have.

To put it in perspective each foot  of air space between a source (speaker) and your head  adds about 1 ms of latency.  Therefor everyone in the congregation experiences at least 15 or 20 ms of latency.

The potential problem is when you can hear both a un delayed sound, and a delayed sound. (A example is speakers mounted half way back in the room.)  That is why rear speakers should always be delayed to match the sound coming from the front.

The worst case is when a singer can hear there own voice, and also hear there voice delayed in there earphones. 

Your drummer will hear someone else through his headphones and there will be a delay, but if he took the headphones off and heard that person through the mains or monitor speakers there would also be a delay.  Probably not a problem.

Here is a good article about latency
http://www.prosoundweb.com/article/the_l_word_latency_digital_audio_systems_opening_pandoras_box/

Not to Code

Brad Weber

• Marietta, GA
« Reply #29 on: August 07, 2011, 07:06:01 PM »

Ok, a little bit of an update, as a number of things have changed.  First off, we were able to get a different school with an auditorium (seats about 450), which solves a number of the sound issues vs. being in a gym.  I have purchased some equipment.

I would guess there is an audio system already existing in the room so have you verified that you are not able to use any of the auditorium house system or gear?  Have you assessed where you can locate your mix position and how you get between it and the stage without creating trip hazards?  Have you surveyed what power provisions are available at the FOH position and at the stage?

I participate on another forum that includes many school auditorium operators and managers, including some that share their facilities with church groups.  One of their most common complaints is cables, etc. getting damaged or disappearing.  Many times there may be cables and other equipment laying around and it is tempting to use it, which may be okay with them.  The problem is that it too often then ends up getting put in with the church gear when everything is loaded out, so you might want to coordinate labeling and storage of loose equipment in order to avoid such issues between you and the school.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #29 on: August 07, 2011, 07:06:01 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 21 queries.