ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Powered Speakers; Yamaha DSR115 vs QSC KW152?  (Read 5843 times)

Glen Earl Brown Jr

• Alameda, Ca
Powered Speakers; Yamaha DSR115 vs QSC KW152?
« on: July 08, 2011, 11:50:13 am »

I have searched the threads and found some comparisons of JBL, Mackie, EV and some QSC K series with these newer Yamaha series. But I have yet to see a head to head with these specific 1-15 2 way models. Which I find funny since they are nearly identical in size, configuration, weight and power. The biggest difference appears to be $300 each. Can anyone share any thoughts?

Scott Bolt

Re: Powered Speakers; Yamaha DSR115 vs QSC KW152?
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2011, 09:03:00 pm »

Both of these speakers are very good.  You should be able to find a local GC somewhere near you and go audition the two against one another yourself.

To my ear, the DSR was the winner; however, they are both such good speakers that I think anyone trying to make the choice should listen to them.

Jay Barracato

• Solomons, MD
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2011, 09:20:09 am »

I have searched the threads and found some comparisons of JBL, Mackie, EV and some QSC K series with these newer Yamaha series. But I have yet to see a head to head with these specific 1-15 2 way models. Which I find funny since they are nearly identical in size, configuration, weight and power. The biggest difference appears to be $300 each. Can anyone share any thoughts?

Variations of this question come up enough that I am going to offer my standard reply once more:

One listening test under one set of conditions is really meaningless about what is going to happen when you take the boxes out to the field.

But that doesn't really matter because I believe the actual box is less than 20% the cause of the resulting sound. 40% is the skill of the operator, and the final 40% are the acoustic qualities of the room itself.

In other words, a reasonably skilled operator should be able to take the comparable QSC, Yamaha, JBL, Mackie, EV, RCF, Yorkeville, etc. etc. etc into a space and get similar results. Each box has trade offs in power, signal handling, pattern, and other attributes. Part of what the operator needs to do is to consider the specific attributes of the box they have,and apply that knowledge to the task at hand.

When I look at these upper level MI/lower level pro boxes, I would consider working with a dealer I trust so I would limit my choices to what they carry regularly, consider what is already in use in my basic area, and pick a brand that I trust the service and support. In other words, the factors that will make me feel good about the purchase even after I have left the showroom floor and put the boxes into service.
Jay Barracato

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2011, 09:20:09 am »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.051 seconds with 25 queries.