ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: beta 91 vs Beta 91a  (Read 15256 times)

Sndguy (Joel Ashcraft)

• Classic LAB
    • Midnight Blue online
beta 91 vs Beta 91a
« on: July 08, 2011, 11:06:56 AM »

Hey all.

I just got a new Beta 91a with a regular XLR socket in the unit (no preamp and mini xlr cable), and the roll off switch. 
I have an event tonight where I can use this, but wanted some opinions, from people who have already experienced this new unit.  This is also a new "grey" color.

I totally missed in the description this new layout.    Let me know your thoughts, and or experiences.

Joe Fanelli

Re: beta 91 vs Beta 91a
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2011, 02:40:23 PM »

We liked it on a well tuned kick drum. I most often leave the switch in the "scooped" position for a rock or hip-hop drummer.
Having a "regular" mic cable did create a problem with one drum where the drum head hole was near the top of the drum and did not have a plastic ring on it. The mic cable was not properly secured and sawed into the head. I don't recall this ever happening with the reduced diameter wire of the Beta 91, but I certainly don't blame the mic.

Sndguy (Joel Ashcraft)

• Classic LAB
    • Midnight Blue online
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2011, 12:52:14 AM »

We liked it on a well tuned kick drum. I most often leave the switch in the "scooped" position for a rock or hip-hop drummer.
Having a "regular" mic cable did create a problem with one drum where the drum head hole was near the top of the drum and did not have a plastic ring on it. The mic cable was not properly secured and sawed into the head. I don't recall this ever happening with the reduced diameter wire of the Beta 91, but I certainly don't blame the mic.

Cool.  I thought the same thing about a mic cable and a hole near the upper portion of  the head.
So tonight the drummer had no hole, so a 52 had to do. I put the 91a back in it's bag and will try again another day with that.  I also put the scoop / no scoop switch in "scooped" in anticipation.  I had wondered how a beta 91 might compare with this new 91a with the roll-off in / out.

I will be doing some comparison at some point but was looking for a head start.

:) thanks for the info, Joe

David Morison

• SR Forums
  • Aberdeen, Scotland
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2011, 05:13:32 AM »

If you have to do the same again, looping the cable up over one of the tuners (if they're the T style) or some other bit of drum hardware might help with that - not the prettiest perhaps but could keep you more popular with the bands.
Cheers,
David.

Richard Nicholson

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2011, 07:58:15 AM »

I've been using the new 91a in place of a beta 91 for the past couple of months now and think it's great. I find it to have a much better low end response, and for me at least, a not quite as aggressive attack.

As far as the cable cutting into the skin, we found that the cable was rattling against our skin (to be fair the original beta 91 cable did the same). All we do is tape the xlr cable going to the 91a to the cable going into the D6 that is positioned inside the hole, thus lifting the cable away from any problems.

Richy

Dave Bigelow

• Louisville, KY when I am actually home...
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2011, 11:36:43 PM »

Got to try one of the newer ones out recently and I do prefer it to the beta. Still would rather find an sm but good luck finding somebody that will come off of one for cheap.

Pretty sure the house guy had the scoop on, to be honest I never looked.

Didn't have an issue with the cable but I always put some slack inside the drum so nothing is pulled tight, always figured that stress on the little cable of the beta and sm contributed to failures on the connectors, plus the drummer I normally work with has the hole nice and low.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2011, 11:36:43 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 25 queries.