ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Measurement workshop in Atlanta next month  (Read 14218 times)

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
Measurement workshop in Atlanta next month
« on: January 20, 2011, 07:54:16 PM »

I hope this is an OK place to put this-feel free to move if needed.

This is just a heads up about a measurement workshop that in coming up on Sat. Feb 19th in Atlanta GA.

It is sponsered by the Atlanta chapter of AES.

There will be information up on their website shortly.  It is from 9am to 5pm

There are 3 presenters/talkers.

Charlie Hughes will be talking about the history of measurement systems-differences between different platforms and other cool stuff that is typically Charlie.

Wayne Lee will be talking about intelligability and how it is measured/different ways/different tools, prediction, importance and so forth.

I will be talking about actual measurements of both touring and installed systems.  I will have my multimic setup there.

There will be talks and demonstrations and lots of Q&A.

We will be both playing with the installed system and some portable stuff that I will bring.

We are still "putting it together" and are open to ideas from people of what they would like to see and be discussed.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Tom Young

• Global Moderator
Re: Measurement workshop in Atlanta next month
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2011, 07:01:34 AM »

I hope this is an OK place to put this-feel free to move if needed.

This is just a heads up about a measurement workshop that in coming up on Sat. Feb 19th in Atlanta GA.

It is sponsered by the Atlanta chapter of AES.

There will be information up on their website shortly.  It is from 9am to 5pm

There are 3 presenters/talkers.

Charlie Hughes will be talking about the history of measurement systems-differences between different platforms and other cool stuff that is typically Charlie.

Wayne Lee will be talking about intelligability and how it is measured/different ways/different tools, prediction, importance and so forth.

I will be talking about actual measurements of both touring and installed systems.  I will have my multimic setup there.

There will be talks and demonstrations and lots of Q&A.

We will be both playing with the installed system and some portable stuff that I will bring.

We are still "putting it together" and are open to ideas from people of what they would like to see and be discussed.

Wow !

Great line up of presenters and it seems that you have quite a few of the bases covered, Ivan.

Any chance you guys could discuss capturing IR's using dodecs and/or balloons ?

For those of us who cannot get there, will this be recorded and available for free or a reasonable price ?

Good luck with this.
Tom Young
Electroacoustic Design Services
Oxford CT
203-888-6217

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2011, 07:56:37 AM »

Wow !

Great line up of presenters and it seems that you have quite a few of the bases covered, Ivan.

Any chance you guys could discuss capturing IR's using dodecs and/or balloons ?

For those of us who cannot get there, will this be recorded and available for free or a reasonable price ?

Good luck with this.
As you know, you really cannot even begin to cover a topic like this in a day.  So we are going to try and hit the highlights and introduce measurement to some people.

Wayne is going to talk about capturing IR's and post processing-and he was thinkng about using talking about the use of the house system and a dodec.  I don't know exactly where it will go.  Time is limited.  I assume Wayne will touch on acoustical measurements.

I am going to try and stay strickly on system alignment and some of the differences between the two worlds-touring and install.  The approaches are often very different-mainly due to time.

I am still trying to get my ideas all sorted out.

I don't know about video availability.  The facility has all the cameras and such-but that has not come up for discussion.  I will bring it up however.

There will be a minimal charge (should be less than $50-they are thinking around $35 for non members-for now anyway)-mainly to cover lunch and the cost of the venue tech guy.  None of us are being paid or being compensated.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Brad Weber

• Marietta, GA
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2011, 10:49:16 AM »

None of us are being paid or being compensated.
Y'all should be used to that!  ;)

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2011, 06:02:44 PM »

Y'all should be used to that!  ;)
It is the audio business after all.  We are in it for the love-not the money.

I just put that part in for people to realize this is a not for profit type of thing and is something we are doing to "give back" to some of the community and share ideas and hopefully "raise the bar" a small notch.

Now if I can just figure out what exactly what I am going to talk about :-\

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Doug Fowler

• Member since May 1995, 2nd poster on original LAB, moderator on and off since 1997, now running TurboMOD v1.826
  • Administrator
  • Saint Louis, MO USA
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2011, 01:22:31 PM »

It is the audio business after all.  We are in it for the love-not the money.

I just put that part in for people to realize this is a not for profit type of thing and is something we are doing to "give back" to some of the community and share ideas and hopefully "raise the bar" a small notch.

Now if I can just figure out what exactly what I am going to talk about :-\

Ivan -

How about demonstrating the effects of changing window sizes in windowed measurements?

Brawndo, the Thirst Mutilator. 
It's got electrolytes. 
It's got what plants crave.

David B Little

• DBLITTLE.COM
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2011, 05:53:41 PM »

Ivan - Glad to see the ATL chapter is active again. Years ago I dropped my AES membership because there seemed to be no activities in ATL and the Nashville chapter did not support ANY live audio whatsoever.
David

Rasmus Rosenberg

« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2011, 02:44:20 PM »

Hey Ivan,
Would it be possible to Stream it? Even a simple Skype connection would proberly do it. Would love to go if it was not on the other side of the planet... or at least the pond.
mvh
Rasmus

chuck clark

« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2011, 07:42:43 PM »

First let me say thanks for giving back and not charging big bucks for this, although you may change your tune in the future! Haha!
What I would like is for someone to concentrate on sorting out the digital skullduggery. I've been doing audio for 29 yrs. and I understand gain and ins and outs and how delay and arrival time differences can affect phase and how reflections can cause cancellation and I just need someone to help me get through the frustration fest of trying to get the digital stuff sorted out. Sheesh! Whats a dodec? I haven't needed any "baloons" lately. Now I do? What the...??? If someone could give a course on SMART and not have it digress in to a remedial school on acoustics, that would be nice. The laws of physics have not changed for a very long time and their are many wonderful books on acoustics and wave propagation but the digital user unfriendliness sometimes seems as endless as trying to find the edge of the universe! (end old soundman dinosaur rant)
HELP!
THANK YOU, Chuck.

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2011, 07:55:25 PM »

Hey Ivan,
Would it be possible to Stream it? Even a simple Skype connection would proberly do it. Would love to go if it was not on the other side of the planet... or at least the pond.
mvh
Rasmus
That would be up to the AES guys.  I have nothing to do with that part of it.

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2011, 07:55:25 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 22 queries.