ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Bag End Subwoofers  (Read 29197 times)

jabney (john abney)

Re: Bag End Subwoofers
« Reply #20 on: June 06, 2011, 09:08:31 PM »

The dual 12" BagEnd with the XLR-equipped ELF Integrator is designed for use down to the mid twenties. (The 8Hz device is RCAs and home theaters.) The nice thing about the dual 12" is that just about anybody you send out with it will be able to lift it.

Except the reality is that you can't hear it.  My old Servodrive Contrabasses eat those things for breakfast.  You want to go low, the Danley Sound Labs line is the way to go.

John

You're saying you can't hear sounds in the mid 20s? I'm sorry to hear that. I mentioned the 8 cps parenthetically (that means as an aside in relation to my main posting) since there seemed to be some confusion on this topic. The 8 cps stuff is designed for rich owners of home theater systems, not live (i.e. pro) sound operators. I would have thought the mention of the RCA connectors (in the parenthetical comment) as opposed to XLRs would have made that clear, but obviously not.

So to summarize: Bag End pro subs with the ELF controller do not claim to reach 8 Cycles Per Second. Never have and (hopefully) never will. I'd even go so far as to suggest that any pro gear that does operate at 8 CPS is probably being used for torture (oops, make that 'enhanced interrogation') or brainwave entrainment of some sort.

Finally, the Servodrive Contrabass at 120 pounds is more than most people old enough to still say 'CPS' can safely lift. The Bag End dual 12 I mentioned in the posting weighs 74 pounds.

best,

john

John Halliburton

• Still has hair and white pointy beard...
« Reply #21 on: June 07, 2011, 12:42:33 AM »

The dual 12" BagEnd with the XLR-equipped ELF Integrator is designed for use down to the mid twenties. (The 8Hz device is RCAs and home theaters.) The nice thing about the dual 12" is that just about anybody you send out with it will be able to lift it.

Except the reality is that you can't hear it.  My old Servodrive Contrabasses eat those things for breakfast.  You want to go low, the Danley Sound Labs line is the way to go.

John

You're saying you can't hear sounds in the mid 20s? I'm sorry to hear that. I mentioned the 8 cps parenthetically (that means as an aside in relation to my main posting) since there seemed to be some confusion on this topic. The 8 cps stuff is designed for rich owners of home theater systems, not live (i.e. pro) sound operators. I would have thought the mention of the RCA connectors (in the parenthetical comment) as opposed to XLRs would have made that clear, but obviously not.

So to summarize: Bag End pro subs with the ELF controller do not claim to reach 8 Cycles Per Second. Never have and (hopefully) never will. I'd even go so far as to suggest that any pro gear that does operate at 8 CPS is probably being used for torture (oops, make that 'enhanced interrogation') or brainwave entrainment of some sort.

Finally, the Servodrive Contrabass at 120 pounds is more than most people old enough to still say 'CPS' can safely lift. The Bag End dual 12 I mentioned in the posting weighs 74 pounds.

best,

john

Let me clarify-they will outperform any of the Bag End ELF products.  Period.  I can and have heard reproduced signals down to 3hz.  I've mixed on a Bag End system that used the dual 12 sub/elf processor until I did them a favor and replaced it with a dual 15" custom vented design using Eminence drivers that trumped that box using the same amp, and no processor.  I've been at a club that uses the D18 for synth player who used a Contrabass as part of his stage rig-guess where the earth shattering low end was coming from?(hint-not from under the stage where the D18's were).

The Contrabass was(and probably still is) one of the best reproducers of elf made-and especially for it's size(under 8 cubic feet).

The Bag End hype of 8hz reproduction was marketing-it wasn't audible.

Oh, and from the product data sheet for the D12E-R:

"The D12E-R provides perfectly flat response down to 8 Hertz when used in conjunction
with the 8 Hertz Integrator. Designed for portable use, the D12E-R
includes handles, durable grille and a pole mount adapter on a
Ro-Tex painted enclosure."

I dunno, kind of sounds like they're claiming it to me.  Then of course, they refer you to a tech paper on their sensitivity:

-2db at 8hz, 95db sens. at 80hz, at 20hz, it's 75db, at 8hz, about 56hz.  The integrator can only overcome a little of this design's issues-the lack of linear excursion of the drivers being prime.

BTW, I use a handtruck, and the difference between moving a D12 or Contrabass is almost non existant.

Best regards,

John

Mika Filpus

« Reply #22 on: August 02, 2011, 03:40:04 PM »

Btw, has anyone changed elements on these? Other than original Bag Ends. I have a pair of S18E's needing new drivers.
More SPL is also welcome, if possible!

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #22 on: August 02, 2011, 03:40:04 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 25 queries.