ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: rotating mixer cases  (Read 14460 times)

Greg_Cameron

• Cameron Pro Audio
Re: rotating mixer cases
« Reply #20 on: July 08, 2011, 03:06:23 PM »

By the way, I'm pretty sure that if you were to get an M7CL or an SC48 and one of those fancy "tilters" like the EZ Tilt or similar, you could rock those up into the upright position real easily by yourself, possibly installing two extra handles on the roadcase to grab the center top lid.

That's the one thing that gets me: I can get my 300 lb. mixer & case onto the EZ Tilt by myself. But getting the lid off is another story ;) That's a two person job due to it's bulk and weight. In an emergency, I have figured out a way to do it alone with a 7' folding picnic table. The downside is that it tears up the foam inside the lid around the doghouse area. But it can be done!

Greg
"Procrastinators of the world - contemplate uniting!"

Cameron Pro Audio

Steve Payne

• Soundworks of Virginia, Inc.
« Reply #21 on: July 08, 2011, 04:35:22 PM »

I wrote a really snide, smart ass reply to your post and then thought better and erased it.

Well that's good you did, because it's obvious you nor some other posters actually read all the posts, because if you did, then you would understand that most likely I have moved a lot more gear than you have after 30 years of the production and sound business. Can you guys get over this? Please read the ORIGINAL question and stick to it? The ONLY question was if someone else offered a case like the one RockHard is offering. I appreciate all the mother hens herding the newbie off the path of buying sound gear but after 30 years of doing ALL ASPECTS OF PRODUCTION AND SOUND and working with a lot of top names in the industry and working with a lot of other sound companies (read as contacts folks), if I fail then it's my business and my business alone. Wow what a can of worms. The thread is about cases! Not starting sound companies! Forget I even made that comment because it's inaccurate! For cryin out loud....

I definitely did not take the time to read all the posts in this thread.  I should do that in the future if I plan to post.  Your original post (the one I READ) certainly gave no hint of your experience.  Just the opposite, I would say.  I thought I was sharing a little bit of my 35 years pro audio experience and hopefully saving a dumb assed kid from a life of misery.  Good luck on finding the case you want and executing your business plan. 
Steve Payne
like us on Facebook at:
https://www.facebook.com/SOUNDWORKSOFVIRGINIA

kristianjohnsen

• Lillehammer, Norway
    • Lillehammer Lyd og Lys
« Reply #22 on: July 08, 2011, 05:47:57 PM »

By the way, I'm pretty sure that if you were to get an M7CL or an SC48 and one of those fancy "tilters" like the EZ Tilt or similar, you could rock those up into the upright position real easily by yourself, possibly installing two extra handles on the roadcase to grab the center top lid.

That's the one thing that gets me: I can get my 300 lb. mixer & case onto the EZ Tilt by myself. But getting the lid off is another story ;) That's a two person job due to it's bulk and weight. In an emergency, I have figured out a way to do it alone with a 7' folding picnic table. The downside is that it tears up the foam inside the lid around the doghouse area. But it can be done!

Greg

Agreed - the lid is tricky.  I can just barely get the lid for my DM2000 on and off by myself, but I hate doing it as one slip would mean broken encoders.

There are ways around the problem if one is set on making the operation a 100% one-man show, like dividing the case into several lids.  Have you seen the Innovason factory original cases?

Or one could get an LS9 or an Ilive.

Mark Sexton

• Sacramento, CA
« Reply #23 on: July 08, 2011, 10:35:19 PM »

Greg

Agreed - the lid is tricky.  I can just barely get the lid for my DM2000 on and off by myself, but I hate doing it as one slip would mean broken encoders.

There are ways around the problem if one is set on making the operation a 100% one-man show, like dividing the case into several lids.  Have you seen the Innovason factory original cases?

Or one could get an LS9 or an Ilive.

I used to do the one man thing with a cheap Road Ready case on a TT24.  Sure enough a smaller guy on our crew tried to do it one time and ended up breaking off two or three encoders.  Thankfully the TT24 had been all but retired at that point. I didn't like that thing.

For those who want high functionality in a small frame, the most interesting piece of gear to me right now is the Digico SD11, 32ch of wonderful in a rackmountable frame.  The Allen and Heath R-72 has a very similar appeal, but that's not what this thread is about......
Mark Sexton

System Designer/Operations Manager
Alive Media

Keith Broughton

• Toronto
« Reply #24 on: July 12, 2011, 07:26:01 AM »

I don't know who would set up on a non flat surface,
Hands up everyone that has always had a flat surface to work on.
Outdoor festivals anyone?

With the "tilting case" design, you are fixed as to how high the console is and the footprint it takes up. Doesn't look all that stable to me...

Spending the money on a regular console case and a EZ Tilt is the way to go.

I don't care enough to be apathetic

Evan Roussos

« Reply #25 on: July 16, 2011, 01:52:32 PM »

I don't know, I've done a million outdoor shows, and I would certainly look for the flatest spot. However, I always take a 4x8 sheet of plywood with me for any outdoor show so in case I needed to level out a whole section of ground for my table and tall effects rack, I can do that with a few pieces of wood. Would anyone set up on a hillside? If that was the case, I certainly would require the same people who are putting on the show to furnish a small 8x8 riser that's flat from the staging company. Honestly though, any show that's going to get a expensive $20k mixer to show up isn't going to be a show that's going to be where we need 4x4's to get to and totally unusable FOH positions. Would a EZ Tilt be that much better in this respect?

I just kind of like the idea of having everything I need especially in the case of the SC48 to be there in the same case (monitor, drawer, goodies, Power conditioner, mouse, keyboard, etc) WITH the lifting device (not me!).

So it seems like everyone thinks that the case looks unstable so I emailed them about stability issues. I asked just how stable is the case. Here's their reply:

"Currently, all the users of the cases and the prototypes that are in use have reported no stability problems. Part of the reason for that is one side has fixed wheels for better ramp control and being able to steer the case. It also adds greatly to stability because one side always has a known fixed wheelbase depth. If the user wants swivel wheels on all locations of the case, we would recommend lengthening the wheel boards out so that a wheel cannot rotate to the point where we would think it might interfere with overall balance. We can also lengthen the wheel boards if the customer desires, however the boards will extend out from the case by a few inches. Obviously, we would always recommend that the case be used on a fairly flat surface, however it's very wide wheelbase left-right make sit extremely stable in that axis. Common sense obviously should be employed when setting up an expensive mixer, whether it's a case or table. Thank you for asking!"

I forgot to ask how high it is (mixer surface), but it looks like it comes up to where it should be, but they do say it has 4 positions for user heights or sitting. I guess it would depend on the actual height of the mixer surface itself

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #27 on: July 18, 2011, 12:40:09 AM »

http://www.caravancases.com/products/index.cfm?action=showitem&industry=Audio%20Cases&category=Audio%20Consoles&subcategory=Medium%20to%20large%20console%20stand&id=130

Tim, thanks for posting that.  I mis-attributed this version in an earlier post.  I think it's design is more stable in the environments our firm works in, and from the pic Mr Roussos posted I have significant doubts about the case he's considering.

That said, it's his party.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

kristianjohnsen

• Lillehammer, Norway
    • Lillehammer Lyd og Lys
« Reply #28 on: July 31, 2011, 09:15:51 AM »

Evan.

I have been thinking on and off about this type of case for a few weeks now and the other day I walked by a bar and realized what market niche this case could be great for:  It was one of those  little bars that have live music every now and then (but not on that day), and their gear was packed up into like 4 flightcases and just showed into a corner as tends to be the norm with these venues.  As I glanced over to see if I could see what gear they owned, I noticed they had actually bolted a small folding table to the mixer flight case, and it dawned on me:  Bars, hotel ballrooms, conference venues, multi-use venues - places with in-house staff that need to move around their gear to make room or to share gear with other rooms - might put these cases to good use in the sense that they always have a nice flat corner available to set up in, and very often there is just one person on duty to set things up or pack them away, usually during a slow morning shift.

For sound-contractor use I still don't see this case as very tempting.

I don't know, I've done a million outdoor shows, and I would certainly look for the flatest spot. However, I always take a 4x8 sheet of plywood with me for any outdoor show so in case I needed to level out a whole section of ground for my table and tall effects rack, I can do that with a few pieces of wood.

I have thought about this remark, also, and think that maybe you haven't thought this through properly:  By the time you have wresteled a soggy, dirty and wet 4x8 foot sheet of plywood all by yourself back to the truck - you might as well go through the trouble of using an EZ-tilt, as well.  If it was me, I'd try to get someone, anyone, present at the venue, ask them politely for a favour and have them help me get the mixer cased and down on the ground before helping me carry the sheet of ply.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #28 on: July 31, 2011, 09:15:51 AM »

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 22 queries.