ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: rotating mixer cases  (Read 14331 times)

Evan Roussos

rotating mixer cases
« on: July 05, 2011, 11:31:19 AM »

Hello, I was wondering if anyone knows if there is any other case manufacturers out there that builds a similar rotating case to the one Rock Hard cases is building? I am seriously thinking about starting a sound company within the next year and don't look forward to lifting heavy objects. I've haven't made up my mind yet but am leaning on a Avid SC48 for the mixer. I was looking around the internet and ebay for used cases and came across Rock Hard's ebay auction for the SC48 case and it seems pretty cool, although a bit expensive. I called the company and the guy said as far as they knew they were the first to offer a case like this, and build just a few styles like for the Sc48 and M7 and I think iLive T-112 because it's a brand new product and not even on their website yet and just starting to advertise on ebay (of all places). I find it hard to believe that someone else hasn't built a case like this as the idea is so simple. Anyone have any idea if anyone else is doing this?

Greg_Cameron

• Cameron Pro Audio
Re: rotating mixer cases
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2011, 01:09:57 PM »

Hello, I was wondering if anyone knows if there is any other case manufacturers out there that builds a similar rotating case to the one Rock Hard cases is building?

It's a bit more pricey than a standard case because it's got a lot of extra mechanism in there. If that is too rich for you, you can get a standard case and an EZ Tilt stand for around $700. But the savings may not be that much. FWIW. $2100 for a fancy case like that isn't that much money, especially when you compare it to the cost of the mixer itself and all the other stuff like speakers and amps.

Greg
"Procrastinators of the world - contemplate uniting!"

Cameron Pro Audio

Chris Carpenter

• Baton Rouge
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2011, 01:04:26 AM »

I am seriously thinking about starting a sound company within the next year and don't look forward to lifting heavy objects.

Hahahaha

kristianjohnsen

• Lillehammer, Norway
    • Lillehammer Lyd og Lys
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2011, 04:11:38 AM »

Hello, I was wondering if anyone knows if there is any other case manufacturers out there that builds a similar rotating case to the one Rock Hard cases is building? I am seriously thinking about starting a sound company within the next year and don't look forward to lifting heavy objects. I've haven't made up my mind yet but am leaning on a Avid SC48 for the mixer. I was looking around the internet and ebay for used cases and came across Rock Hard's ebay auction for the SC48 case and it seems pretty cool, although a bit expensive. I called the company and the guy said as far as they knew they were the first to offer a case like this, and build just a few styles like for the Sc48 and M7 and I think iLive T-112 because it's a brand new product and not even on their website yet and just starting to advertise on ebay (of all places). I find it hard to believe that someone else hasn't built a case like this as the idea is so simple. Anyone have any idea if anyone else is doing this?

Evan.

Could you put up a link to the case for others to see?  I found it via Google, but it's always nice to post a link.

Although that rotating case looks kinda cool, it looks like a finger-decapitation just waiting to happen.  Doesn't seem real sturdy if a drunk patron slams into it, either.  Also, part of the whole point of a case is to have somewhere to store and hide cables (doghouse) so that some things can be ready as soon as you take off the lid(s).

The yamaha PM1D I just bought arrived in it's new case yesterday and it wheighs 450 LBS cased - and that's just the control surface.  My Yamaha DM 2000 wheighs something like 250 LBS cased. 
And they both cost a fair bit more than 2100 USD, too.

For me, part of the "fun" of ordering a new case is to have the manufacturer design little storage features, etc to suit my preferences.

Best regards,

Kristian

Evan Roussos

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2011, 01:23:07 PM »

Yeah I feel like an idiot for not putting up a link. Here's the 2 that they are currently showing:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120745720699

http://cgi.ebay.com/RockHard-Cases-rotating-Yamaha-M7-M7CL48-Evolution-case-/120738039616?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c1c8c4740

The finger decapitation or "cigar cutter" mode is something I don't really see. It has 2 handle holes to hold onto and a foot release, so I don't know how you would cut off any fingers unless you really tried. It wouldn't be any more dangerous than sticking your finger or other body part into bicycle spokes, which you wouldn't do because one has common sense. However there are alot of morons out there. But how many morons can operate a digital mixer and afford the money to buy it? So that's got to weed out some lost DNA sequence individuals low on lithium. I know one thing, you can hurt yourself on anything if you're stupid enough.

As far as the doghouse, that was a question I had for them. He said that about half of the cases they do want a doghouse and half don't, but case is designed to do away with the doghouse since doghouses add so much extra weight and depth. I guess that there's a spot underneath the surface that they're going to have a bag (called the doggie bag haha) that will be specifically for rolling up mutipair cables into so you can leave your fantail attached. When the console is in it's upright position, you just roll up the cable into the bag instead of crowbarring it into a little thin doghouse. There is the rear drawer option, so that's the space for your other goodies and there's room for 2 racks below and still the rack gear mounted below the surface. He said that the bag shouldn't weigh anything versus a doghouse that has to add a lot of wood and room. But according to him, they're still about a month away from the bag option, I guess the design is there and the space, they're just still waiting to get the bag made.

I don't know about how sturdy it is, it seems like it has a really long wheelbase and with the weight of the mixer, case, and internal goodies, I wouldn't think that it would be that unsturdy. I believe that if one wanted, you could just order it with extra long wheel boards if it made anyone feel any better about it. Drunks slamming into it? I don't know, if I'm using a expensive digital console, I'm going to put up whatever it takes to keep the lowbrows away. Hopefully the cheapest option - event security.

Does a PM1d in case really weigh almost 500 lbs? Yeesh. I want something a little less forboding. The Sc48 is heavy enough. I don't mind moving heavy gear, and I don't mind lifting heavy gear, I just hate lifting really awkward heavy things like the Sc48, and it is awkward to lift even with 2 people because there's no handle grips. That's what piqued my interest in the Evolution case because it seems like you don't have to lift it. You just roll it in take off the lids and go.

Randall Hyde

« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2011, 06:43:15 PM »

I am seriously thinking about starting a sound company within the next year and don't look forward to lifting heavy objects.

Hahahaha
+1

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2011, 08:59:06 PM »

Does a PM1d in case really weigh almost 500 lbs? Yeesh. I want something a little less forboding. The Sc48 is heavy enough. I don't mind moving heavy gear, and I don't mind lifting heavy gear, I just hate lifting really awkward heavy things like the Sc48, and it is awkward to lift even with 2 people because there's no handle grips. That's what piqued my interest in the Evolution case because it seems like you don't have to lift it. You just roll it in take off the lids and go.

The SC48 is heavy?  Seriously?

Also consider this:  any portable gig for which you will use a console like an SC48 or M7, you will have help either from your own shop or specified in your contract for the promoter to provide.   You probably aren't driving a speaker on stick rig with either console, so you'll need help unloading the truck, stacking or flying PA, running power feeder, setting up and operating the monitor rig...

And overall, this case probably weighs around 250# if not more.  The M7 or SC48 both weight around 150#.  You've taken up more truck space and added at least 100# to the pack over a conventional medium duty case.

While I think the case is trick (Caravan* does a rotating case, too, but it's more conventional), it represents a solution to what is, for most owners, a non-problem.  When you figure the rotational feature is 40% of the case cost, it also fails most owners ROI test.

In the end, though, do what you like and makes sense for the venues & clients that represent the majority of your work.

Have fun, good luck.

Tim Mc

*fixed name w/edit
« Last Edit: July 18, 2011, 12:38:38 AM by Tim McCulloch »
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Mike Caldwell

• Covington, Ohio
    • Mike Caldwell Audio Productions
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2011, 11:54:04 PM »

Really!!!!!!!

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2011, 07:09:40 AM »

I would have to say $2300 is a pretty low price for what's being show in the ad. What a great design for moving and using large format boards. Hell, I've got a picnic table that's more trouble to move, setup and use than the case being shown.

And Evan, if moving heavy objects doesn't appeal to you then you may need to think about another career path in sound. Maybe promoting the events would be a better choice. Just a thought.

Bob L. - "60 and still moving heavy shit 45 years later."
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

Scott Allen

« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2011, 01:36:19 PM »

...came across Rock Hard's ebay auction for the SC48 case and it seems pretty cool, although a bit expensive.

$2350 for this case would be a breeze, Although you could have a regular roadcase for $1200, $550 for a Rack to hold the Keyboard, screen, PD, etc... and $650 for an Ez-Tilt so you don't have to huff the gear around.

I can't ever remember seriously considering starting a sound company, it just naturally progressed from playing in a band to, hey you guys own a pa!?, can you run sound for me?

The heavy objects, you can't really have your cake and eat it too.... Although I will say that if you decide to go for a small system you can fit in the back of a 12-16 ft trailer and say I'll never own anything that can't fit in here, and think smart about the size of your cabs/subs/mons etc... then you can have a small, yet effective rig.

Will you need an SC48 as your console... maybe? It's an awesome console but judging by you balking at the price of a roadcase (that is easily only fraction of the price of the board), I'm thinking you haven't really looked at what everything else costs as well...

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2011, 01:36:19 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 24 queries.