ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: JH90 Cost  (Read 21255 times)

Randall Hyde

JH90 Cost
« on: July 04, 2011, 03:39:51 PM »

While I'm sure it's in the "if you have to ask, you can't afford it..." category, I was just wondering what a Danley JH90 box costs.  IIRC, the specs call for something like six 3,000-watt amp channels for the subs, and umpteen thousand additional watts for the low mids, mids, and highs (i.e., a rack full of ITech 12000HD or comparable lab.gruppen amps). 

Just in the process of completing my first truly pro "A" system and thinking about what I need to save up my pennies for next.  A DSL SH46 array looks like fun, but maybe it would be smarter to go with a point source?

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
Re: JH90 Cost
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2011, 04:05:22 PM »

While I'm sure it's in the "if you have to ask, you can't afford it..." category, I was just wondering what a Danley JH90 box costs.  IIRC, the specs call for something like six 3,000-watt amp channels for the subs, and umpteen thousand additional watts for the low mids, mids, and highs (i.e., a rack full of ITech 12000HD or comparable lab.gruppen amps).

The low frequency section of the full range speaker is six 4Ω loads, or three 2Ω loads. It will require a lot of amplifier. Being a full range speaker, there aren't any "subs" in there.

Just in the process of completing my first truly pro "A" system and thinking about what I need to save up my pennies for next.  A DSL SH46 array looks like fun, but maybe it would be smarter to go with a point source?

Unless you can manage a 5' tall, 4' wide 700 pound speaker, yeah something else would be a better choice.

Mac

Doug Fowler

• Member since May 1995, 2nd poster on original LAB, moderator on and off since 1997, now running TurboMOD v1.826
  • Administrator
  • Saint Louis, MO USA
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2011, 04:42:30 PM »

J2 has been reduced to under 500 pounds and is passive.   Only one channel of amplification required.

Going wih this as your first pro PA is a really bad idea.

Going with SH46 is a much better idea.

Brawndo, the Thirst Mutilator. 
It's got electrolytes. 
It's got what plants crave.

Scott Helmke

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2011, 06:15:28 PM »

We've got a pair, and while they do sound wonderful they are very limited in where you can use them.  Pretty much chain motor or forklift only, though you can barely (weight and size) put one on a Genie ST-20.   You'd never want to push one up a truck ramp.  So you're looking at wanting the application before you buy the boxes.  In our case we use them for university football games, and there's one place in the push from the truck where we have to use a block and tackle to pull them up a short ramp.

Amazing box... but if I was starting out I'd look for something more scalable.

kristianjohnsen

• Lillehammer, Norway
    • Lillehammer Lyd og Lys
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2011, 07:57:13 AM »

J2 has been reduced to under 500 pounds and is passive.   Only one channel of amplification required.

Going wih this as your first pro PA is a really bad idea.

Going with SH46 is a much better idea.

In terms of handling the boxes, it's not that much worse than wrangling a big FOH and a big monitors desk, so if the operation is set up to handle that on/off the truck, etc, I guess the speakers would be manageable, too.  Stacking/flying them is a whole 'nother matter, of course.

Chris Hindle

• SR Forums
  • Montreal, Quebec, Canada, Earth, Sol System,......
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2011, 08:21:16 AM »

Quote from: Doug Fowler [/quote

200 lbs lighter? Wow. I just hope they didn't leave out the "Magic Sauce"
Passive, thats gonna be a big mutha amp!
Ya, Whatever. Just throw a '57 on it, and get off my stage.

Randall Hyde

« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2011, 05:33:02 PM »

The low frequency section of the full range speaker is six 4Ω loads, or three 2Ω loads. It will require a lot of amplifier. Being a full range speaker, there aren't any "subs" in there.
Yes, the subs are in the JH90 cabinet, I'm well aware of that.

Unless you can manage a 5' tall, 4' wide 700 pound speaker, yeah something else would be a better choice.

Mac
Granted, you can move them out of the truck one at a time, but hanging 8 SH46 cabinets isn't going to be a *whole* lot easier.

I am quite aware of the weight and size of these monstrosities.  But as long as I'm dreaming about things I probably cannot afford, I may as well throw in a forklift as well :)

A bigger concern to me might be the the fact that they have a 90-degree coverage pattern and would probably be a no-go for crowds too close to the cabinet (with SH46 cabinets, at least you have the ability to aim the things).

While on the subject of the SH46 cabinets, another question I have is can you mix DSL cabinets, like the SH25, 46, and 50 in the same array (to hit different points in the crowd) or is this (my guess) a really bad idea because of phasing problems and the like?
Cheers,
Randy Hyde
P.S., I'd still like to know what one of these beasts (JH90) costs.

Randall Hyde

« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2011, 05:41:21 PM »

In terms of handling the boxes, it's not that much worse than wrangling a big FOH and a big monitors desk, so if the operation is set up to handle that on/off the truck, etc, I guess the speakers would be manageable, too.  Stacking/flying them is a whole 'nother matter, of course.

Well, my truck has a lift gate that would easily handle the weight. Though I'd probably be looking at a different truck if I ever got one of these things.

Again, this isn't something I'm planning on buying next week. I have a decent ground-stacked system that I'm finishing up right now that will let me handle about 3,000 people (outdoors). Just looking ahead to see where I want to go next.

Granted, flying the JH90 is going to be no easy task, but there is the benefit of only having to fly *one* of those puppies. With the appropriate truss system and rigging hardware, I'm assuming it will go up in equivalent or less time than flying a traditional set of line arrays.

My goal is to get to the point where I can handle 10,000 to 20,000 audience members.
However, as I've said already, this isn't something I'm going to need to do next week, or even next year. Just trying to decide how to save up my pennies and this is the first of many little bits of research I'll be doing to figure out which direction I'm heading.
Cheers,
Randy Hyde

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
Lows vs subs
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2011, 05:44:50 PM »

Yes, the subs are in the JH90 cabinet, I'm well aware of that.

You seem to have missed my point. The six 18" drivers are the low frequency part of the full range speaker, they are not subs. The four bands listed on the spec sheet are lows, mids, mid hi, and highs. Danley makes plenty of subs to add for extreme low end.

Mac
« Last Edit: July 05, 2011, 06:13:12 PM by Mac Kerr »

Doug Fowler

• Member since May 1995, 2nd poster on original LAB, moderator on and off since 1997, now running TurboMOD v1.826
  • Administrator
  • Saint Louis, MO USA
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2011, 05:55:08 PM »

200 lbs lighter? Wow. I just hope they didn't leave out the "Magic Sauce"
Passive, thats gonna be a big mutha amp!

It has a 17 pound crossover :-)

I believe 4-6 Kw powers it well. Obviously Ivan or Tom could elaborate. I saw/heard it @ Infocomm.
Brawndo, the Thirst Mutilator. 
It's got electrolytes. 
It's got what plants crave.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2011, 05:55:08 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 25 queries.