ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: Bass Maximizers  (Read 20962 times)

John Chiara

Re: Bass Maximizers
« Reply #30 on: May 17, 2012, 07:36:30 PM »

Interesting, could be because the subs are being not driven hard into that harmonic distortion mode, and nice sounding even order harmonics are being introduced by the MB.

Guess I need a waves plug in now... GAS!  ;D

Bingo!!

Tracy Garner

« Reply #31 on: May 17, 2012, 07:53:09 PM »

Bingo!!

I hear Dave Rat uses an old DBX120 for certain "effects"...

John Chiara

« Reply #32 on: May 17, 2012, 11:43:21 PM »

The Maxxbass doesn't get used by me for effects. It radically changes the " heft" and feel of systems using reflex subs in a way nothing else has. Plus has the added benefit of not upping the power requirements. Big, thick, hefty low end available in all power situations is part of my signature sound. I can make wedding gigs sound like a rock concert so when the band goes into "Livin' on a Prayer" it sounds real instead of stupid and whimpy. Maxxbass makes that possible... No brainer for me, just wish I bought 20 of them when they blew them out.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #33 on: May 18, 2012, 10:28:10 AM »

I still own a dbx 500 "Professional Disco Boombox" sub-harmonic synthesizer.

It's important to understand that these products were developed back when vinyl was king and CDs were a "real soon now" technology... and analog cutting and playback technology meant that making records with <40Hz waves at any level was difficult or impossible for most consumer uses.  Sure, you could cut the grooves and get maybe 16 minutes per side, but at the level the consumer expected the stylus would jump out of the groove on playback.

It was this problem that dbx addressed with sub-harmonics.

Now that digital recordings are the norm and specialized vinyl releases don't have the same user constraints as mass consumer releases did 30 years ago, the sub harmonic synthesis method has become moot as a *system* enhancement.  I've used the old 500 as an insert or effect a couple of times in this decade, but that's about it.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Mike Pyle

• Santa Rosa, CA
« Reply #34 on: May 18, 2012, 06:58:01 PM »

just wish I bought 20 of them when they blew them out.

Do you find that they have a pretty high noise floor? The two I have do, except when bypassed.
Mike Pyle  Audiopyle Sound  707-315-6204
Dealer For: JBL, Soundcraft, Crown, dbx, AKG, Yorkville, EV, QSC, RCF, FBT, Danley Sound Labs, Meyer Sound, Fulcrum Acoustic, Tannoy, Lab Gruppen, Powersoft, Linea Research, EAW, Allen & Heath, Ashly, APB, Audix, One Systems, Presonus, K&M, Ultimate, Global Truss, Intellistage, SKB, Gator, Radial Engineering, Turbosound, Midas, dB Technologies, American DJ, Odyssey, ProCo, Rapco, CBI, Elation, Mipro, Chauvet, Blizzard, Shure, Whirlwind, Bassboss, Yamaha, Line 6, Behringer, On-Stage, more...

John Chiara

« Reply #35 on: May 21, 2012, 04:38:55 PM »

Do you find that they have a pretty high noise floor? The two I have do, except when bypassed.

That is true. I have 4 devices in my drive chain and it works better depending on where it is inserted. I usually bypass it during breaks and while using playback music.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #35 on: May 21, 2012, 04:38:55 PM »

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 25 queries.