ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Poor effort at friend's wedding  (Read 4721 times)

Glenn James

• Darwin, Australia
Poor effort at friend's wedding
« on: July 03, 2011, 04:56:33 AM »

Went to a wedding yesterday and just couldnt believe how poor the entertainment was.
I will qualify this post stating I am not a DJ but do run a hire business supplying DJ and other sound equipment, so I am not claiming to be a DJ god, just an ordinary punter attending a function.
As we arrived for the ceremony outdoors I spotted the cheapie electronics store boxes high on poles, then noticed the same branded cheapie sub (I think amps for the system were in there as well) under the plastic table with the laptop sitting on top.
It was being used for light background music and wasnt offered as amplification for the ceremony so thought it might just be the light duty system for the ceremony and the good gear was reserved for the reception........wrong!
As the ceremony finished the system was moved to the reception area and thus began my night of auditory hell. Realised soon after he started playing there was no top end to the system at all, just however high the midrange rolled off to the blown tweeters.
Young mr DJ proceeded to play older radio tunes for the next couple of hours through dinner from a play list created way too long ago. Probably by his Grandpa....
A wireless microphone was presented for speeches and spent the whole night buzzing and farting and couldnt be more than 10 metres away from the receiver or it didnt work at all. Mr DJ didnt have an easily accessible fader control either so speeches were loud or quiet.....nothing else.
The bridal waltz was played and the peeps were ready (pretty drunk by then) to dance so he pulled out a couple of cheap electronics store lighting effects and promptly plonked them on the floor next to a convenient power outlet. Really, on the bloody ground!!!
Unfortunately Young Mr DJ wasnt experienced enough to play and adjust his set to suit the style of music that the dancers liked. Was really funny to see a full dance floor for YMCA, watch it die to nothing for an Oasis song and reenergise for Rock Lobster, just to kill it again with some country song I think one person knew.
I am not saying DJing is easy and a good DJ can keep the dancing going non-stop in all situations, but this was a really easy crowd to please and the effort, at least from my point of view was a big FAIL.
I havent asked my friends how much, if anything, this guy cost because I dont want to point out that anything was wrong and they should reflect on their wedding day as being of poor quality if they hadnt noticed themselves. Hopefully he was 'chucked in' as part of the wedding package per person cost.
I would have brough some equipment out for free if I had known the system would be such a shambles and I would have to listen to a middy, boomy, nasty, poorly chosen music all night.
As it happens we left earlier than we would have otherwise before my ears fell off or I felt it necessary to ask the young man for a card so I could avoid any of his future gigs!!!

Paul G. OBrien

Re: Poor effort at friend's wedding
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2011, 09:57:09 AM »

I know this story well and unfortunately blame for it falls at the feet of the B&G. Many brides simply can't see the value of spending quality money.. maybe $1000 or so depending upon the market, on a "DJ" and instead pickup the cheapest lowballer they can find, and they get exactly what they paid for. If they had budgeted for a proper entertainer you may have been able to enjoy a DJ with some personality, skill and experience, some modern SR level audio, and maybe even a half decent DMX light show. Did you really expect all that for somewhere between $0 and $150?(call that an educated guess based on what you describe, obviously I don't know what they actually paid).
« Last Edit: July 04, 2011, 09:59:40 AM by Paul G. OBrien »

Kurt Kesler

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2011, 11:41:40 AM »

The bridal waltz was played and the peeps were ready (pretty drunk by then) to dance so he pulled out a couple of cheap electronics store lighting effects and promptly plonked them on the floor next to a convenient power outlet. Really, on the bloody ground!!!

I'm a little confused, do you mean he sat the fixtures themselves on the ground? 

Anyway, getting people to pay a decent rate these days is tough.  Guys like this make it easier.   ;)

Glenn James

• Darwin, Australia
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2011, 06:15:05 PM »

Fixtures on the ground.n No truss, trees or even a rope over a pole.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2011, 06:15:05 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 20 queries.