Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: DIs  (Read 6177 times)

Tim Padrick

• Indianapolis
    • T.P. Audio
Re: DIs
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2011, 04:38:52 am »

Can you hear the difference in sound between the Radial Pro (Radial transformer) and the Radial JDI  (Jensen Transformer)

Frank

With a keyboard that has a active output: In a direct A-B, yes.  In actual application, I'd say it depends on the rig.  (But since my A-B was through an old Mackie and a pair of little Eons, the difference may be greater than I think.)

Geoff Doane

• Halifax, NS
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2011, 08:56:46 am »

Can you hear the difference in sound between the Radial Pro (Radial transformer) and the Radial JDI  (Jensen Transformer)

Frank

With a keyboard that has a active output: In a direct A-B, yes.  In actual application, I'd say it depends on the rig.  (But since my A-B was through an old Mackie and a pair of little Eons, the difference may be greater than I think.)

Can you characterize the difference Tim?  I would guess that the ProDI saturates more easily in the low end, but I haven't done the test.

GTD

Patrick Tracy

• SR Forums
  • Boulder, CO, USA
    • Boulder Sound Guy
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2011, 01:53:02 pm »

There is little reason to have a switchable pad on the DI output, so if a pad is present it will likely be on the input. This will conflict with the goal of presenting the highest impedance termination to typical musical instrument sources (and a resistive pad will introduce it's own self noise), while there are dedicated DI for accepting speaker level signals where the self noise of a pad is manageable due to lower impedance resistances available when terminating speaker type signals (note: dedicated speaker DI sometimes include EQ to model cabinet resonances). 

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems to me that you generally don't need the pad and higher impedance at the same time.

Ned Ward

• SR Forums
  • Redondo Beach, CA
    • Our band's page on Facebook
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2011, 02:39:22 pm »

Luis -

When I started out, I tried to skimp by just buying the Whirlwind IMP 2 DI's. They worked, but I did notice an upgrade to the sound when I bought the Radial JDI's and their Pro DI.

Frank

To my amateur ears, no - I'm running either through a 01v-HPR122, or through a VRX setup when we play corporate events. I'm sure Tim and others know better.

On the Pro, I bought the ProD2 as Tim and others on the boards had spoken well of it, and couldn't see plunking down the $300+ for the stereo JDI for my own needs.

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2011, 06:02:02 pm »

There is little reason to have a switchable pad on the DI output, so if a pad is present it will likely be on the input. This will conflict with the goal of presenting the highest impedance termination to typical musical instrument sources (and a resistive pad will introduce it's own self noise), while there are dedicated DI for accepting speaker level signals where the self noise of a pad is manageable due to lower impedance resistances available when terminating speaker type signals (note: dedicated speaker DI sometimes include EQ to model cabinet resonances). 

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems to me that you generally don't need the pad and higher impedance at the same time.

That's pretty much what I said (or meant)... Certainly termination impedance doesn't matter when connected to a power amp.   It's also possible to use a multi-pole pad switch so you can change both resistor legs of the pad to make a divider with reasonable values and termination.

IMO this is still a little conflicted as passive sources should not need pads, and active sources should not really need DIs or to plug into mic inputs... 

Pretty much a hodge podge product segment, where you need to figure what works for your specific needs.

JR
Don't tune your drums half-ass. Listen to what a properly "cleared" drum sounds like.   http://circularscience.com/

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2011, 06:02:02 pm »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.053 seconds with 22 queries.