ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: heavy duty gig backpack?  (Read 14060 times)

Mike McNany

Re: heavy duty gig backpack?
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2011, 11:42:05 AM »

Bike panniers (sp?) are the way to go. Check out www.nashbar.com for a good selection.

For military & military-like backpacks at a decent price, do a search on www.sportsmansguide.com and www.cheaperthandirt.com. I just ordered in a medium and small slingbag from the former and a couple tool pockets from the latter.  The military now uses some padded courier bags for laptops, too, and you can find similar at those sites.

Mike McNany

Adam Sykes

« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2011, 09:17:52 PM »

Tumi is pretty damn good.

I have on of these:    http://www.tumi.com/product/index.jsp?productId=4063098&prodFindSrc=paramNav

Before that I had a smaller euro style shoulder bag from them that I dragger around for 10 years before needing to have the laptop protection.  This bag got so much use that the metal triangles on the bag that you hook the shoulder strap onto, dug their way through the steel clips on the shoulder strap after 9 years!  They come in brown too.

Another good brand is Anidamo (if they're still being made).

Steven Barnes

• SBTS Inc.
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2011, 12:04:57 AM »

For a really rugged bag that you can fall off your bike and not hurt the laptop inside check out backpacks. It was my bag of choice for a long time, and the only reason I switch was a lack of carrying capacity and not enough pockets for all my tour stuff. I still use it occasionally if I am only carrying a laptop and have my workbox out with me for tools.

The current backpack is made by swiss. I often use it when riding my bike around, it holds all my stuff, and has nice think padded shoulder straps as well as a waist strap to keep the bag from flopping around while you are riding.
I currently carry a 17" macbook pro, 3- KSM32 shure bags with all my adapters and such, pair of full size headphones, pair of IEM's in small pelican case, and still have plenty of room for all my other misc. stuff. I would highly recommend their bags.

Audio Engineering, Design, Consulting
SBTS Inc.
www.sbts-inc.com

Ned Ward

• SR Forums
  • Redondo Beach, CA
    • Our band's page on Facebook
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2011, 05:38:58 PM »

Since 1994 I have had a Kelty daypack that made it through a summer of trekking through the jungles of Thailand, the glaciers to the base of K2 in Pakistan, and multiple cross-country trips with the family. Cavernous with side pockets, easily fits laptop, Nikon D40 camera bag,  AKG K271 headphones, change of clothes, mics, DIs and cables. I brought this and my guitar case for a weekend gig in Chicago. The pack is still in excellent shape.

If there's an REI near you  worth checking out as they'll have paniers, daypacks as well as plenty of compartment bags, which is how I dealt with having a huge open area - Eagle Creek makes clear ones in various sizes.

Nils Erickson

• San Francisco
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2011, 10:59:54 PM »

Mono Cases makes a pretty large variety of backpacks aimed at music people...  I have one of their guitar gig bags, and it is very well thought out.  I love it!
http://www.monocase.com/mono-products2011.asp

Andy_Leviss

« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2011, 01:17:36 PM »

I've been using 5.11 Tactical's RUSH 24/RESPONDER 24, which I love. The Rush is the military/police oriented version, available in camo, black, and tan, the Responder is identical, but in red for first responders.

The 24 refers to how many hours away from your base you could survive with the amount of gear it holds. They also make a 72 and, I now see, a 12.

What I love most is that it has mesh zip pockets lining both inside walls, so it's real easy to carry a lot of small tools and gadgets without them all getting buried in the black hole of the bag, and keep them organized. That also helps prevent the bottom from sagging when fully loaded.

It's got a full height compartment in back intended for a Camelback pouch, with a rigid back wall to protect it. It will fit up to a 15" MacBook Pro in a neoprene sleeve, so works well for computers.

The shoulder straps and outside pockets are covered with MOLLE straps, so they're easy to expand with accessory pouches.

http://www.511tactical.com/All-Products/Bags-Backpacks/Backpacks/RUSH-24-Backpack.html

I got the red one, since it stands out from all the other black bags on gigs, making it easier to find. And easier to catch if somebody tries grabbing my flaming red bag and walking with it :-)

The only downside to the red is an optical illusion...the black one looks a lot smaller, even though they're the same size.

I first heard about it from Flying With Fish, a photography/travel blog (which is where the attached photo is from):

http://boardingarea.com/blogs/flyingwithfish/2009/10/14/511-tactical-rush-24-backpack-a-great-multipurpose-travel-companion/

--Andy
Andy Leviss
Broadway/Concert/Corporate/Broadcast Sound Engineer
ETCP Certified Entertainment Electrian, AVIXA CTS
IATSE Local 1, USA829

Mike McNany

« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2011, 08:29:44 PM »

I checked out the links to the MONO and 5.11 packs.

HOLY CRAP!!!

Those things are FAR too expensive for what they are and what they do. I did like the MONO pack that you could zip away the bulk of the pack and be left with a basic laptop only pack but NOT for $170 worth. I bought a one strap bag from Sportsman's Guide for $25, similar to the MOAB 8 that 5.11 sells for about $70, only I got MORE pockets (just got it in today). Fox and Voodoo Tactical make items similar to 5.11 only at half the price or less.

Mike McNany

Josh Duke

• Boston, MA
« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2011, 09:08:08 AM »

HOLY CRAP!!!

Those things are FAR too expensive for what they are and what they do. I did like the MONO pack that you could zip away the bulk of the pack and be left with a basic laptop only pack but NOT for $170 worth. I bought a one strap bag from Sportsman's Guide for $25, similar to the MOAB 8 that 5.11 sells for about $70, only I got MORE pockets (just got it in today). Fox and Voodoo Tactical make items similar to 5.11 only at half the price or less.

Mike McNany

You get what you pay for.

If I have thousands invested in a laptop, mics, di boxes, and al the other stuff that adds up, I'm not going to balk at a couple hundred bucks for a pack that will allow me to transport it safely.  Riding a bike, taking the subway, just plain walking - all it takes is one failure and you'd be wishing you spent the money.

Also, the OP did say heavy duty.  If he had said light duty, then I doubt people would be pointing him towards industrial strength products.  Considering my life has literally depended on Blackhawk and 5.11 products, they're my first choice for anytime I need to carry something somewhere.

Buy once, cry once.

Pete Bansen

« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2011, 11:39:20 PM »

HOLY CRAP!!!

Those things are FAR too expensive for what they are and what they do.

Check out the bail out bags from LA Police Gear.  They're very sturdy and have bunches of pockets for DI's, adapters, tools, handheld radio, etc.  I have several and although they're cheap, they have held up very well.

http://www.lapolicegear.com/jumbo-bailout-bag.html

Get the jumbo - the regular size one is small.  For $30, you can't go too far wrong.  The 5.11 bags are better made and have more features and I'm sure this is also true of the Blackhawk bags, but the inexpensive LA Police Gear ones have worked well for me so far.

Pete Bansen

Drew Stricker

« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2011, 02:55:45 AM »

I've used my swiss backpack for about five or six years now gigging around the midwest and its still in good shape (I hear the newer swiss stuff isnt as good though so your mileage may vary)

its got big zippers that are damn near jam proof and a good amount of pockets. A back padded pocked for laptop with a divider so I can put my laptop cooler in there too, then a big front pocket that I usually have tons of cables, my cans, adapters, etc etc in and then an organized front pocket with various little pouches that usually have a headlamp and smaller jumpers and jack adapters in. its also got side pockets for water bottles (or beer) that are elastic mesh and then also zipper long side pockets that fit a maglight nice.

It was quite cheap when I got it too, I want to say in the under $30 dollar range. Its basically a really nice school backpack.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2011, 02:55:45 AM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 23 queries.