ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: heavy duty gig backpack?  (Read 14059 times)

brian frost

• I.A.T.S.E. 16
    • FSOUND PRO AUDIO
heavy duty gig backpack?
« on: July 02, 2011, 08:24:27 PM »

im contemplating eliminating public transportation altogether and biking my 3mi roundtrip commute to the various regular job venues.  There's no way I can wrangle my current 35-40lbish over-the-shoulder gig bag on a bike though.  Has anyone come across a killer back pack style work bag?  ( laptop / soundcard / tools / adaptors / headphones / etc / etc / etc ). Points for heavy duty make & plenty of pockets/pouches.

thanks!
b
FSOUND - SF BAY AREA PRO AUDIO RENTALS & STAFFING

Jordan Wolf

Re: heavy duty gig backpack?
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2011, 09:17:46 PM »

im contemplating eliminating public transportation altogether and biking my 3mi roundtrip commute to the various regular job venues.  There's no way I can wrangle my current 35-40lbish over-the-shoulder gig bag on a bike though.  Has anyone come across a killer back pack style work bag?  ( laptop / soundcard / tools / adaptors / headphones / etc / etc / etc ). Points for heavy duty make & plenty of pockets/pouches.

Hey Brian,

I have been contemplating a similar thing myself.  I am looking to replace my ATA briefcase because of weight and portability reasons.

ToolPak is one I seen but have not tried out myself.  I am actually looking into photography backpacks with the dividers in the bottom and a separate compartment for personal gear (change of clothes, etc.).

Here's a list of manufacturers from an outdoor photographer website.

Mountainsmith has always been a favorite of mine and the "normal" camera case makers should be fine, too.

God luck in your search and let me know if you find anything that works.
Jordan Wolf
<><

"We want our sound to go into the soul of the audience, and see if it can awaken some little thing in their minds... Cause there are so many sleeping people." - Jimi Hendrix

John Neil

• SR Forums
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2011, 01:53:26 AM »

I have a Surly Big Dummy.  Pelican 1510 goes in one side...tools, adapters, recorder, laptop, iPad, mics, cans, etc.  Soldering kit and book bag (clothes and food) go in the other.

I formerly used a BOB traier behind a conventional bike.  I had a large Rubbermaid that fit perfectly and kept groceries, book bags, and laptop bags dry.

I'm against carrying heavy loads on my back, but Timbuk2 has bags with straps configured to keep the load back on your hips while riding.

Jason Raboin

• Klondike Sound
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2011, 08:20:31 AM »

I recently bought a Tom Bihn bag and couldn't be happier.  I bought the Tri Star, but the Western Flyer might be a more manageable size for biking.  They're expensive, but worth it.
Jason Raboin
Partner
Klondike Sound

Randy Pence

• Berlin, Germany
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2011, 08:56:26 AM »

thanks!
b

Jason Browning

« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2011, 02:10:29 PM »

thanks!
b

+1 for panniers and a parcel rack on your bike...get that weight off your back! 
I ride a recumbent bike a similar distance to yours to my house gig, and I recently invested in a pair of these...one will carry my laptop, lunch, bike locks, show blacks and a rain suit with ease:

http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_detail.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524442632444&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302693397

They are like the reusable grocery bags available everywhere, but with pannier rack clips.  Durable too...I wedged a 24 pack of my favorite frosty beverages into one the other night!

JB
Jason 'JB' Browning
Toronto ON Canada
IATSE Local 58

Dave Wallingford

« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2011, 11:40:40 PM »

I've had a few Spire backpacks over the years, and I've been very happy with them.

http://www.spireusa.com/

Scott Allen

« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2011, 12:21:07 AM »

thanks!
b

Check out Ergodyne,

http://www.ergodyne.com/products/pages/default.aspx?PCA=88&ShowPro=1

I picked up one of their tool bags and this thing is double stitched, compartments, extras, etc.... just Awesome! Haven't tried the backpack yet but I'm betting it's pretty dang nice too! They are more of an industrial supply company. But what we're doing is pretty industrial if you ask me!

RaySoly

• Retired IATSE 56 MONTREAL
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2011, 08:24:33 AM »

thanks!
b

maybe some of these...from Axio......

http://axioluggage.com/tekpack_a.html

Ray

Josh Duke

• Boston, MA
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2011, 08:41:11 AM »

Try these guys out.  When they were still a newer company back in the late 90's, I spent a ton of money replacing my issued gear with theirs.  Still have most of it, and that is after many deployments to more places than I care to remember.

Not sure if you'll find exactly what you're looking for, but there gear is tough and has a lifetime warranty.

www.blackhawk.com
« Last Edit: July 08, 2011, 09:08:16 AM by Josh Duke »

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2011, 08:41:11 AM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 25 queries.