Sound Reinforcement - Forums for Live Sound Professionals - Your Displayed Name Must Be Your Real Full Name To Post In The Live Sound Forums > LAB: The Classic Live Audio Board

What's your mix mindset?

(1/3) > >>

Chris Hunt:
I have had a unique opportunity the last several weeks of having several guys out to "audition" for a FOH position with our company and to mix my rig.  Some I have let tackle the entire mix once I got the show started, some I just asked questions to and picked their brain on what they would change, etc. to get a feel for how they think.  I even tried to get a few of the better engineers into some challenging situations to see how they got out of them.  Here is an interesting question I pose to you guys from my observations.  Here is the situation: you're mixing on a PA you've never mixed, a room you've never mixed, a band you've never mixed, auditioning for a FOH position to come in and sub for the main guys.  How far do you take it?  Do you simply ride faders and make the best out of what you started with, or do you tell the engineer about how you would change everything and throw out a massive list of what you would do to change the show?  Also, would you mix more from your ear or go at the console setting up all your go-to comp and eq settings without hearing the PA or the band?

Just want to get some feedback from you guys before we make our decision.  If some of you on here came out to audition, please don't respond.  Thanks!!

Chris Hindle:
Personally, if someone "hands me the keys" mid-show, I'll ask what instructions they have received, and go from there.
Will I change things? Probably.
Will it take more than 1 song to get it where I am "happy"? Not likely.
Will I comment on what I don't like? Nope.
Twist the knobs, get into a groove, and do the gig.
* I would really prefer to be there at sound check. Get a feel for the talent, and all that.

Chris Hunt:
Good stuff Chris, I agree with several of your opinions.  I will tell you that this band in particular sets up about an hour before the show, making sound check impossible.  We do use Virtual Soundcheck, or at least the best we can on the SC48.  But that's part of the gig, is working your mix up from the last show's settings and mixing on the fly.  Of course the engineer can come in and set the main processing and room EQ, other than that, a line check is all we get.  Good stuff though, thanks and keep 'em coming!!

ThomasA(lbenberger):
One hour of set-up and soundcheck is pretty much what I get most of the time. If I don't know the band in advance and have a relationship where they trust me and my decisions, I would first make sure that all the system is in working condition. This means safety goes first: is the power safe, is the stage safe,... Also, I will check if every speaker is playing roughly what I expect: frequency-wise, hum- and buzz-free at a decent volume and from the appropriate send of the console. Most of this can happen while the band is still setting up.

I would then kindly ask them to leave stage and go for a quick coffee while I patch up the stage, run through the main channels and set vocal monitor levels so that the band can talk to me and themselves when they come back from their little break.

This leaves us - when everything goes without hiccups - with 15-20 minutes to get their stage mixes right, while I create a rough audience mix.

If there were no broken channels/instruments/system components that's plenty of time for a good monitoring sound (with a standard rock/pop-band...) and just enough to get through the first song of the set with a rough audience mix.

And then I mix the show... Like I would with a band, I had more time to prepare for. Personally, I work a lot on Faders, FX, a little on EQs, Pans. But that is an entirely different discussion in my opinion - how one mixes a show in general.

When I only have little time, I don't do measurements and I rarely touch the system processor, it's just too time-consuming. But re-positioning side-stacked subwoofers to a center-cluster happens occasionally, as does turning off certain speakers if they can not contribute positively to the sound (i.e. overlapping horn patterns,...).

In conclusion: I mess with the system variables only if things are seriously wrong from my first listening perspective. Then, I'd rather go for physical changes than for the crossover.

Getting the band to a point where they are happy with their stage-sound is most important to me. They need to perform to their best abilities to give me the input to mixing a great show.

I then care for audience sound, and usually - if the band is happy and everything works - this is the easy part.

Hope this answers the question.

Cheers, Thomas

Justice C. Bigler:
I would ask for a copy of the script and the notes from the designer to the FOH operator. From there it's just know which VCAs are where and following the script.

Oh wait, I guess you were talking about bands and such....

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version