ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Wireless line-leve audio at last?  (Read 4621 times)

duane massey

Wireless line-leve audio at last?
« on: July 06, 2011, 01:38:25 AM »

Been looking for something like this for a while:
http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/CHANNEL-VISION-WA321-/50-12980

Is this new, or have I just missed it? I can think of several applications, especially at this price point. Any similar products out there?
Duane Massey
Technician, musician, stubborn old guy
Houston, Texas

Brad Weber

• Marietta, GA
Re: Wireless line-leve audio at last?
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2011, 08:21:43 AM »

Is this new, or have I just missed it? I can think of several applications, especially at this price point. Any similar products out there?
Here's a link to the actual manufacturer, http://www.channelvision.com/index.php/NEW-Products/Wireless-Audio-Transmitter-1-Unlimited-Destinations-WA-321/flypage.tpl.html, it includes additional information.

My biggest reservation is the "up to 300'" transmission distance as I wonder what is a practical distance to expect in most applications.

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2011, 10:32:45 AM »

If that stuff is reliable it will be a powerful tool for installers. Pulling wire is an expensive PIA, and a reliability/maintenance issue.

I worked on developing a similar install product, based on putting an audio carrier onto the mains power wiring to distribute sound within a venue. I ultimately killed the project because in my judgement it wasn't reliable enough. Things as simple as office copy machines could interfere with the relatively simple audio carrier. If a small contractor bids a job based on going wireless, and then finds out when he goes to finish the install that it doesn't work because of some local interference, he is screwed and has to fall back to pulling wire and losing money.

Perhaps these will be more robust and not susceptible to such issues, but caveat emptor, be careful about bidding with such an obvious cost saver if you haven't confirmed that the system will work on that particular site.

JR 
Cancel the "cancel culture". Do not participate in mob hatred.

Henry Cohen

• Westchester Co., NY, USA
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2011, 12:02:07 PM »

Here's a link to the actual manufacturer, http://www.channelvision.com/index.php/NEW-Products/Wireless-Audio-Transmitter-1-Unlimited-Destinations-WA-321/flypage.tpl.html, it includes additional information.

My biggest reservation is the "up to 300'" transmission distance as I wonder what is a practical distance to expect in most applications.

Given this device operates in the 2.4GHz band, I'd be most hesitant to rely on it for permanent installed infrastructure. It may work fine when the installation is complete, but with the plethora of 2.4GHz devices, especially in a corporate or production environment, it's far too likely to experience detrimental interference given time to be reliable. Besides, at 9MHz per audio channel, it's not exactly spectrally efficient.
Henry Cohen

CP Communications    www.cpcomms.com
Radio Active Designs   www.radioactiverf.com

duane massey

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2011, 02:12:52 AM »

Actually, just looking for one of those "last resort" kinda things. For example, I did a renovation for a church that remodeled their sanctuary, but I wasn't brought in until the construction was complete. The mic line going to the lectern (original wiring) was severed "somewhere" and the only way to replace would have involved tearing up quite a bit of ceramic and stone work, along with sheetrock and trim boards. They didn't like any of the available options, and the "temporary wire is still duct-taped to the wall and under a rug to the lectern. I was going to get a wireless mic transmitter and reciever, and tie the gooseneck mic into that, but the $$ were too much for them, so I left them with the understanding that they would contact me when they decided to actually do it right. A simple wireless rig like this channelvision might actually be suitable for this situation. Also, for temporary use as well?
Duane Massey
Technician, musician, stubborn old guy
Houston, Texas

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2011, 02:12:52 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 25 queries.