ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Quick M7 question  (Read 2243 times)

James Seagus

Quick M7 question
« on: July 01, 2011, 10:29:26 am »

Hi, hope this is in the correct forum.
A musician recently asked me if I could send him the main L-R mix to his in-ears.
Obviously there's no separate board and you can only send the full master mix to a matrix not a mix send (pre-fade, pre-eq aux.)
Can it be done?

James Seagus

Re: Quick M7 question
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2011, 10:46:16 am »

Maybe I should have made that a bit clearer in that he still wants his own usual mix with the full FOH mix layered underneath.

Dave Alderdice

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2011, 11:04:49 am »

Hi, hope this is in the correct forum.
A musician recently asked me if I could send him the main L-R mix to his in-ears.
Obviously there's no separate board and you can only send the full master mix to a matrix not a mix send (pre-fade, pre-eq aux.)
Can it be done?

On the M7 you can route inputs right to the matrix and then add the main mix bus to the same matrix and then use the matrix outputs as the feed to the musician. 

Alternately create a mix on auxiliary sends and then route the aux master and the main mix to the same matrix outputs.  That is the more analog console way of combining the two but is a little redundant on the M7.

James Seagus

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2011, 11:19:01 am »

On the M7 you can route inputs right to the matrix and then add the main mix bus to the same matrix and then use the matrix outputs as the feed to the musician. 

Alternately create a mix on auxiliary sends and then route the aux master and the main mix to the same matrix outputs.  That is the more analog console way of combining the two but is a little redundant on the M7.

Thanks, Dave, I'd kinda resigned myself to the fact that it couldn't be done from a simple aux send and that eventually I'd have to use a matrix output.
It'd be nice if Yamaha would allow 8 sends from L-R master to auxes as well as to matrices.
It is nice that you can send from input channels to matrices though, not a function available on the LS9
Oh well, just a matter of rerouting, THEN.

Dave Alderdice

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2011, 03:31:48 pm »

Thanks, Dave, I'd kinda resigned myself to the fact that it couldn't be done from a simple aux send and that eventually I'd have to use a matrix output.
It'd be nice if Yamaha would allow 8 sends from L-R master to auxes as well as to matrices.
It is nice that you can send from input channels to matrices though, not a function available on the LS9
Oh well, just a matter of rerouting, THEN.

As it would be really easy to create an instantaneous feedback loop by assigning said auxiliary to the Mix bus while the Mix bus was routed to the auxiliary, I wouldn't count on the feature you mention ever being made available. 

A Matrix really is the best option for what you want to do. With Matrix sends on fader being available on the M7 you are easily able to achieve what you need to. I only know of Cadac in the analog world that allows input channel routing to matrix, but I'm sure that there are others.

Christian Güssmer

• www.guessmer.de
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2011, 09:25:07 am »

Maybe I should have made that a bit clearer in that he still wants his own usual mix with the full FOH mix layered underneath.

I'd use a matrix to individually sum the IE mix send and the LR mix.
While using a matrix to mix the IE mix and just add the LR mix might be a step simpler the possibility of comb filters due to the double routing of correlated signals is higher. If you sum an aux mix and the LR mix they should have the same latency. Be sure to check if there is a GEQ inserted on one and if it influences the setup (the GEQ adds latency).

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2011, 09:25:07 am »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 24 queries.