ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Can I put a speaker pole cup in my TH-118?  (Read 6824 times)

Fernando Lopez

Can I put a speaker pole cup in my TH-118?
« on: June 29, 2011, 10:17:10 PM »

First of all I have not done it!! :o

But I would like to pole mount my ZX5s over my TH-118s

Will I screw up my Sub if I do this?

Is it doable?

Thanks!!

Albert Thomas

Re: Can I put a speaker pole cup in my TH-118?
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2011, 01:42:05 AM »

Is it doable?

Thanks!!

If I were to do it (which I wouldn't) I'd contact Danley first.

If I wanted pole mounts on those I'd have a triangular plate made (preferably aluminum) that would sit flat on top of the TH-118.  The apex of the triangle would be were you would want the pole to be and the base corners would
cover the handles and have holes for thumb screws that would pull up wedge pieces under the handles and keep it clamped nice and snug. If you wanted it really sanitary looking you could put studs in the plate and wing-nuts on the other side of the wedges.  The pole cup would be  external instead of internal. Powder coat the whole deal satin black and it'll look pro without messing with those beautiful subs.

Ales Dravinec

• ADRaudio, Slovenia
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2011, 04:13:19 PM »

Is it doable?

Thanks!!

My thoughts ?

THE designer did not provide for them, so you should think about that for a while.
It looks like a nifty idea, but Danley is so way apart from being convenient ...
Think radically ... maybe your subs were meant to be center stacked (???)

And, YES, you will screw up you subs !
Not acoustically, obviously, but in EVERY other sense.
If nothing else, you will drop their value significantly.

With utmost respect.

Fernando Lopez

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2011, 05:27:32 PM »

My thoughts ?

THE designer did not provide for them, so you should think about that for a while.
It looks like a nifty idea, but Danley is so way apart from being convenient ...
Think radically ... maybe your subs were meant to be center stacked (???) I wish I could center stack them all the time but it is not always possible

With utmost respect.

That is great news

If there is no accoustical damage I will probably go for it

Their resale value to me is almost zero since I am not in the States anda Danley does not a representative in my country

Thanks,

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2011, 06:31:05 PM »

My thoughts ?

Think radically ... maybe your subs were meant to be center stacked (???)

With utmost respect.
The answer is yes you can do it. BUT you have to be very careful where you decide to put the hole.  If you hit a horn wall, you WILL screw up the sound and probably never get it right again.

I am out on a very large install right now (think NFL#1) and will not be back into the office until next tues.  I can get you a place to put it then (and not screw up the horn path).  I don't remember off the top of my head.

The reason we do not put them as standard on most of our products, is that a good number of professionals have told me in person that they would never buy the products if we put a pole cup on them.  They associate pole cups with MI type products.

But then there are lots of people who would buy them IF they had a pole cup.

It really is amazing to me to how much controversy a little pole cup can stur up in people. 
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Mike Pyle

• Santa Rosa, CA
Mike Pyle  Audiopyle Sound  707-315-6204
Dealer For: JBL, Soundcraft, Crown, dbx, AKG, Yorkville, EV, QSC, RCF, FBT, Danley Sound Labs, Meyer Sound, Fulcrum Acoustic, Tannoy, Lab Gruppen, Powersoft, Linea Research, EAW, Allen & Heath, Ashly, APB, Audix, One Systems, Presonus, K&M, Ultimate, Global Truss, Intellistage, SKB, Gator, Radial Engineering, Turbosound, Midas, dB Technologies, American DJ, Odyssey, ProCo, Rapco, CBI, Elation, Mipro, Chauvet, Blizzard, Shure, Whirlwind, Bassboss, Yamaha, Line 6, Behringer, On-Stage, more...

Rick Powell

« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2011, 07:20:50 PM »

If I were doing it I would use these:
http://produkte.k-m.de/en/Speakerlighting-and-monitor-stands-and-holders/Distance-and-extension-rods/24116-CONNECTOR-PLATE-black

1. I have mounted a pole cup in my TH115's.  The TH118 is similar, but I will not repeat my instructions for fear that the inside horn dimensions may not be exactly the same.  There is a vertical wall inside the box that you need to avoid by going in front or back of it with the pole cup mount.  Ivan Beaver gave me the instructions and the project worked like a charm.

2. I second Mike Pyle's recommendation of getting the screw-in pole mount.  Mine are the Ultimate Support style cups and my top mount speakers are light, but the rig is more wobbly than I would like.  I may retro-fit mine in the future.

Rick Powell

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2011, 07:20:50 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 1.566 seconds with 22 queries.