ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Reel Snake advice  (Read 3612 times)

John Roll

Reel Snake advice
« on: June 29, 2011, 06:07:34 pm »

I currently have an EWI 16 x 8 reel snake, 100ft. This is fine for the weekend club shows I'm doing, but I'm going to be involved in a couple of shows this summer where I will have to borrow a bigger (longer and more channels) snake to do the show.(I have two Presonus Studiolive 16.4.2 boards which I will link together.) I feel that I should invest in a 32 x 8 for the future but I am not sure about the length. Would 150' be enough or should I go 200'? I'm leaning toward the 200' as it's better to have too much than not enough. I don't know how many more shows will need this "bigger" snake, so I welcome all opinions and suggestions about this.

Thanks,
John
John Roll
JMR Pro Audio

QSC, JBL, Presonus, Audix, K&M, EWI, Furman

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
Re: Reel Snake advice
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2011, 06:18:05 pm »

I currently have an EWI 16 x 8 reel snake, 100ft. This is fine for the weekend club shows I'm doing, but I'm going to be involved in a couple of shows this summer where I will have to borrow a bigger (longer and more channels) snake to do the show.(I have two Presonus Studiolive 16.4.2 boards which I will link together.) I feel that I should invest in a 32 x 8 for the future but I am not sure about the length. Would 150' be enough or should I go 200'? I'm leaning toward the 200' as it's better to have too much than not enough. I don't know how many more shows will need this "bigger" snake, so I welcome all opinions and suggestions about this.

Thanks,
John

If you are going to buy a big snake, get 200'.

I have a 150' 24x8 and while it has been fine, a little more length would have made routing it a bit easier for some shows. If you do monitors from FOH most of the time, make the snake 32x12. My 8ch goes away fast... L&R + aux sub only leaves 5 monitor mixes. And, if I need delays or fills or a dual PA I have to run more lines along the snake.

Mine is on a reel. The only thing I don't like is that the road case for the reel is oversize and doesn't pack with the rest of my cases.
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Steve Hurt

• Lab Lounge
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2011, 06:32:55 pm »

Thanks,
John

Get a 32 x 12 x 200'.    The extra returns are as important as the 200'

The "big" shows where you need all those channels are the same shows that need 8 monitors!
Hope you get a lot of them! (the big shows)

Garry Wilson

• Laurel, MD
    • 98.6 Sound
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2011, 08:10:00 am »

Thanks,
John

definitely 200ft, sooner or later you'll hit that gig where you'll want to kick yourself for not getting the extra 50ft
Garry W.
CTS, SBE-CEV, A+
www.986sound.com

TJ (Tom) Cornish

• St. Paul, MN
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2011, 08:47:46 am »

I own a Whirlwind 32X8X150' and an EWI 24X8X100', both non-reel.  I have made my own horizontal reel for the Whirlwind.  I wish I would have gotten a reel snake for the smaller one.  I didn't because at the time I was transportation constrained and didn't want to have another case - I could just chuck the snake on top of the pile.  While that's true, it takes a lot of extra care to handle the snake than if it was just rolled up and covered.

For the big snake - I'm glad it's not on a permanent reel (I can unstrap the head and de-reel the snake).  I can take the head off and put it by the drum kit which saves me a couple sub snakes and other goofing around compared to having to leave the reel off stage and subsnaking everything.  I do wish the Whirlwind head was square rather than rectangular - that forced my reel to be a lot bigger than it needed to be.

For the 150' vs 200' thing - that depends on your gigs.  Some gigs need 300' - where do you stop?  In my experience, 100' is often too short, and 150' is about perfect for what I do.  I can do most of the large hotel ballrooms (100' long or so) with the 150, and the extra cost and weight of the 200' isn't justified.

My next snake will be no snake at all - my next sound board will be an ILive-type with a remote stage box.  My snake can be as long or short as I make my CAT5 cable.

Randall Hyde

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2011, 01:00:21 pm »

Thanks,
John
I bought a 24x8 x150' snake. And immediately started doing shows where I needed a 200' snake.
That really sucked (especially as the snake cost me $2,000). Had to buy a second (cheap 24x4) snake to do those particular jobs (separate monitor board on stage, so I didn't need the return channels for those gigs).

If I had it all to do over again, I probably would have gotten two 100' snakes rather than one 200' snake. For most shows 100' is fine and the extra weight of the 150' (and especially 200' with 32x8 channels) is a pain. Connecting the two snakes is a pain (and extra connections are noisy), but for the few shows where *I* need 200', I could live with that.

Might also consider a digital snake. Yeah, expensive, but...
I've been running SAC this past year and let me tell you how wonderful it is running a CAT5 cable to FOH.
Cheers,
Randy Hyde

John Roll

« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2011, 08:40:34 pm »

I bought a 24x8 x150' snake. And immediately started doing shows where I needed a 200' snake.
That really sucked (especially as the snake cost me $2,000). Had to buy a second (cheap 24x4) snake to do those particular jobs (separate monitor board on stage, so I didn't need the return channels for those gigs).

If I had it all to do over again, I probably would have gotten two 100' snakes rather than one 200' snake. For most shows 100' is fine and the extra weight of the 150' (and especially 200' with 32x8 channels) is a pain. Connecting the two snakes is a pain (and extra connections are noisy), but for the few shows where *I* need 200', I could live with that.

Might also consider a digital snake. Yeah, expensive, but...
I've been running SAC this past year and let me tell you how wonderful it is running a CAT5 cable to FOH.
Cheers,
Randy Hyde

The digital snake idea is not entirely out of the question. What are you using?
John Roll
JMR Pro Audio

QSC, JBL, Presonus, Audix, K&M, EWI, Furman

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2011, 08:40:34 pm »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.1 seconds with 22 queries.