ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Road Ready vs. EWI  (Read 16557 times)

Adam Pace

• Yarbrough's Music, Inc.
Road Ready vs. EWI
« on: June 29, 2011, 02:28:31 PM »

Friends,

I keep hearing about EWI Cases. In the past I have dealt primarily with Road Ready for our prefab cases and am getting ready to purchase some more. However, looking at EWI, their retail price is significantly less than our dealer cost with Road Ready.

So, to my loyal EWI road case owners, what are the major differences in the build quality of Road Ready cases verses EWI cases.

We are looking at racks, truck packs, and stands cases.

Thanks!
Adam Pace
Productions Manager

Yarbrough's Music, Inc.
6122 Macon Road
Memphis, TN 38134

Phone: 901-761-0414
Fax: 901-257-7773
Email: [email protected]

Chris Van Duker

Re: Road Ready vs. EWI
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2011, 03:45:47 PM »

I've only got a few of each, but I've had some trouble with the casters on Road-Ready racks and rolling trunks. I haven't had any trouble with EWI gear at all.

RYAN LOUDMUSIC JENKINS

• Az Concert Sound Solutions
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2011, 03:51:35 PM »

Friends,

I keep hearing about EWI Cases. In the past I have dealt primarily with Road Ready for our prefab cases and am getting ready to purchase some more. However, looking at EWI, their retail price is significantly less than our dealer cost with Road Ready.

So, to my loyal EWI road case owners, what are the major differences in the build quality of Road Ready cases verses EWI cases.

Thanks!

I own approx 30 EWI cases.  They are great.  I have referred many friends to Mark and Liz to purchase thier cases too. 

I have broken a handful of the locks on the casters, my fault.  I have broken one latch, my fault and I have several with some cracks in the vinyl....It is currently about 113 degrees here,  they are going to crack here no matter what, probably not an issue just about anywhere else in the USA.  I also own a couple Anvil cases that also have cracks in the vinyl so that really doesn't matter to me.

I used to have two Road Ready cases for a couple mixers.  I sold one mixer/case and now only have one.  I am JUST as happy with the road ready case for the mixer as I am with any of the EWI cases.  It does what it is intended to due which is to provide a safe place to store the console at a fairly affordable price.

The one thing that road ready could never ever compete on with EWI is the incredible service that you get when purchasing from Mark and Liz at Audiopile!

I spent some time on the phone with them last week and probably will agian next week.  They have the best possible service and they make it really easy to due business with them!

Garry Wilson

• Laurel, MD
    • 98.6 Sound
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2011, 04:41:56 PM »

Friends,

Thanks!

All my road cases are EWI, for the price and quality, I don't believe they have any competition. I haven't had one issue with any of my cases since the first purchase 4 or 5 years ago. I've had couple RR items that I could not get through EWI, the RR units were fine, just no need to pay more for the same quality (IMO). It is true that the customer service with Audiopile is awesome.

I believe their cases are marketed as medium duty, I don't know how they would hold up to thrashing about on 18 wheeled jaunts on the regular, but for local/regional gigs with a crew that does take care of its gear, it is perfect.

Garry
Garry W.
CTS, SBE-CEV, A+
www.986sound.com

Micky Basiliere

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2011, 11:30:11 PM »

Both garbage! prefabed crap!

Ben Lawrence

• VT AUDIO VISUAL
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2011, 11:43:51 PM »

Ouch! Is that a troll statement? I have some of both they seem pretty similar in quality. I have been happy with EWI stuff

Greg_Cameron

• Cameron Pro Audio
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2011, 12:07:58 AM »

Ouch! Is that a troll statement? I have some of both they seem pretty similar in quality. I have been happy with EWI stuff

When compared to the Big Boy® road cases by companies like Anvil, there is a large disparity in quality. The kind handling of road cases I've seen on big tours by stage hands would destroy RR & EWI cases pretty fast. For lighter duty use, they're fine. But make no mistake, they're not in the same league. And for the money, they shouldn't be. I myself own a few EWI trunks and a couple of amp racks. Since I'm not moving them a lot, they hold up fine. But know if I was doing truck packs and stacking them like they do on tours, they'd fall apart.

Greg
"Procrastinators of the world - contemplate uniting!"

Cameron Pro Audio

RYAN LOUDMUSIC JENKINS

• Az Concert Sound Solutions
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2011, 01:10:39 AM »

When compared to the Big Boy® road cases by companies like Anvil, there is a large disparity in quality. The kind handling of road cases I've seen on big tours by stage hands would destroy RR & EWI cases pretty fast. For lighter duty use, they're fine. But make no mistake, they're not in the same league. And for the money, they shouldn't be. I myself own a few EWI trunks and a couple of amp racks. Since I'm not moving them a lot, they hold up fine. But know if I was doing truck packs and stacking them like they do on tours, they'd fall apart.

Greg

I almost completely disagree!  I do agree that the heavier duty cases made with 3/4" plywood should be stronger but I can tell you from experience with the cases that I own that the over weight, 3/4" ply cases that I have are not in a different league.  The corner hardware is similar how ever the extruded edge pieces on the 3/4" heavy duty cases that I have are definately stronger than both the EWI and Road Ready Cases. 

With that all being said, I load my EWI cases into trucks and trailers all the time.  Up ramps, on lift gates, up and down curbs and stairs, etc.  I climb on them and walk on them and generally treat them as a typical road case would be treated in the normal day to day operation of a busy audio company.  They have held up quite well.  In fact much better than you would expect.  The few Anvil cases I have actually look worse for the wear than the EWI cases.  Many of my EWI cases have several hundred events under thier belts and they pretty much look very close to new.

Jason Raboin

• Klondike Sound
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2011, 09:05:24 AM »

I almost completely disagree!  I do agree that the heavier duty cases made with 3/4" plywood should be stronger but I can tell you from experience with the cases that I own that the over weight, 3/4" ply cases that I have are not in a different league.  The corner hardware is similar how ever the extruded edge pieces on the 3/4" heavy duty cases that I have are definately stronger than both the EWI and Road Ready Cases. 

With that all being said, I load my EWI cases into trucks and trailers all the time.  Up ramps, on lift gates, up and down curbs and stairs, etc.  I climb on them and walk on them and generally treat them as a typical road case would be treated in the normal day to day operation of a busy audio company.  They have held up quite well.  In fact much better than you would expect.  The few Anvil cases I have actually look worse for the wear than the EWI cases.  Many of my EWI cases have several hundred events under thier belts and they pretty much look very close to new.

I think the "I" in this statement is the point.  I have several cases from EWI and higher end one's from a local case maker.  When I use them, the EWI are fine.  When abused by stage hands, that's another story.  I had two EWI mic cases and they each lasted one tour before someone used it as a step and went through it, or it cracked from some other abuse.  Same for the 4 space rack I was using as an in-ear rack.  The shock rack has faired better.  I have not used the cable trunks that you speak of.  Maybe they are better built.

I also like the idea of buying a locally made case.  Who knows what materials, labor practices, etc. go into the EWI stuff.  As a part of the local economy, supporting other local businesses is important to me.
Jason Raboin
Partner
Klondike Sound

Charlie Zureki

• South Eastern Michigan (near Windsor)
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2011, 09:25:36 AM »

Both garbage! prefabed crap!

Hello,

As, someone else posted,  Road Ready and EWI are both what could be called medium duty cases.  If either Company built 3/4 cases, I'm sure they'd be comparable to Anvil or Calzone or Portare' cases.

If someone should want "ATA" Specs....then, they should buy a case that meets ATA Specs....and expect to pay for ATA specs.

By the way.... Anvil, Calzone and other premium spec case Companies pre-build a lot of their standard size racks...  so, what do you mean by "prefabed crap"?

Hammer

Do it the right way....don't be a Dino!

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2011, 09:25:36 AM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 24 queries.