ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Is the VRX918SP for me?  (Read 10064 times)

Kurt Stephens

• SR Forums
Is the VRX918SP for me?
« on: January 20, 2011, 11:36:06 AM »

First post for me in the new forums!

I've been saving up for an active sub now for about a year after buying a pair of K12's - and come this May (I'm in Trinidad & Tobago now) I will be purchasing my sub. I've got about $2K max to spend and I only have storage space for a single active sub. Portability is a huge factor for me - although I know this limits what kind of SPL I'm going to get. I would get the KSUB but I'm not sure on it. I DJ at a small bar and host some medium sized formal gigs. Music content can be bass heavy. SPL is a concern and I need something that can keep up with the K12's when X-overed. My car is small, storage is limited, and I am a one man act - so transport can be a pain.

Obviously I'm looking at the KW181 and PRX618SXLF as well as the VRX918SP - but all of these options really seem too cumbersome for me to handle - and if I cant get it to my gig - what good is a big sub? The KSUB fits the bill perfectly in terms of size and reliability yet seems to lack in the SPL and sub-50Hz department.

Any suggestions? The Yorkville LS701P might work like the KSUB but is very heavy and the connection panel is underwhelming. Aesthetics are a concern to me and I's like to stay with QSC - but it might not be the best route in this case. Ideas?

Fernando Reyna

Re: Is the VRX918SP for me?
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2011, 03:07:30 PM »

I don't think, for your application, the KSub will suffice.
KW181 would be a better option.
The sustain, listen to it.
> I don't hear anything.
          Well you would though, if it were playing.

Kurt Stephens

• SR Forums
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2011, 03:18:08 PM »

I don't think, for your application, the KSub will suffice.
KW181 would be a better option.

If I'm going to go with a larger sub like the KW or VRX - I might as well get the best I can for the money I have. How do you think the KW compares to the VRX? Also have you had the chance to demo either of them? Obviously it seems like the KW is more portable given the casters.

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2011, 03:50:19 PM »

If I'm going to go with a larger sub like the KW or VRX - I might as well get the best I can for the money I have. How do you think the KW compares to the VRX? Also have you had the chance to demo either of them? Obviously it seems like the KW is more portable given the casters.
I have the KW181 subs with K12s. I use  a pair stacked on one side.
One sub might do for you depending...
I have heard that the VRX sub is a great sub but you are paying extra for the fly capability and I don't believe it has caster wheels.
Given that size is important to you, you might consider a pair of the Danley TH-Minis? I don't recall if they have powered versions but an Itech amp in a lightweight case could be a good solution if needed.
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Doug Sprinthall

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2011, 05:15:59 PM »

For what it's worth, I run k12 over a single SRX with great results.  The SRX and VRX are the same cab.  Mine obviously is passive.  I'm powering it with a 7 lb crown xls 2500 and it works well.  Prostar is selling SRX b stock pretty cheap now and you can pick up 2500's for around 500.  This set up would run you less than $1300 if you're okay with passive.

Kurt Stephens

• SR Forums
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2011, 05:33:40 PM »

I have the KW181 subs with K12s. I use  a pair stacked on one side.
One sub might do for you depending...
I have heard that the VRX sub is a great sub but you are paying extra for the fly capability and I don't believe it has caster wheels.
Given that size is important to you, you might consider a pair of the Danley TH-Minis? I don't recall if they have powered versions but an Itech amp in a lightweight case could be a good solution if needed.

I have looked into the TH-Mini before and got confirmation from Danley that they do not produce it in a powered version. Otherwise - it would be very good for me.

Your point about the VRX was one of my concerns as well - I won't (anytime soon) use the fly capability - but at the same time, if its a better sub all around than the PRX618SXLF, then it might make sense.

Kurt Stephens

• SR Forums
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2011, 05:37:57 PM »

For what it's worth, I run k12 over a single SRX with great results.  The SRX and VRX are the same cab.  Mine obviously is passive.  I'm powering it with a 7 lb crown xls 2500 and it works well.  Prostar is selling SRX b stock pretty cheap now and you can pick up 2500's for around 500.  This set up would run you less than $1300 if you're okay with passive.

Thank you for the feedback - I definitely prefer to stay active however. Good to know that a single VRX and K12 might make a good combination. I guess my concern would be that the K12's can't keep up with the single VRX - not sure on that. X-overed the K12's don't limit as quickly (obviously). I guess I would be able to send them a 120Hz x-overed signal if I use the VRX instead of the 100Hz built into the K12 (I believe).

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2011, 11:36:56 PM »

Thank you for the feedback - I definitely prefer to stay active however. Good to know that a single VRX and K12 might make a good combination. I guess my concern would be that the K12's can't keep up with the single VRX - not sure on that. X-overed the K12's don't limit as quickly (obviously). I guess I would be able to send them a 120Hz x-overed signal if I use the VRX instead of the 100Hz built into the K12 (I believe).
Powered speaker limiters are a great way to keep from blowing up the speaker but you should not be planning on running them in the limiters. By the way, a K12 in the limiters is pretty loud. Now, I admit to having brought not enough rig for a tent wedding gig and I found myself hitting the limiters late in the evening but, that was last spring and I don't think I have hit them again in any indoor gig.
I would not be worrying so much about which speaker out runs which. As long as the "system" gets loud enough for the application it doesn't matter. I have used them with the KW subs using the built in crossovers just fine and also set up using the subs aux fed with 100Hz crossover point.

Why do you prefer the VRX sub over the QSC KW181?

rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Kurt Stephens

• SR Forums
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2011, 11:45:53 PM »

Why do you prefer the VRX sub over the QSC KW181?

Thanks again for info -

I don't necessarily prefer the VRX over the KW. I think each would have their advantages. This is part of what I'm trying to decide - which would make the better combo with the K12's.

I actually haven't heard either of them yet - so I really don't know how to compare them. Does anyone have some comparison basis? Positives/Negatives?

Bob Kenton

« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2011, 02:16:28 AM »

The VRX is a nice sub, Ive used them a few times here and there. One of the reasons I might choose a KW sub over the VRX is the crossover point.
The KW is at 100hz I believe with a full range out. The K12 has a 100hz filter as well.
On the other hand, if you wanted to use the crossover point and high pass out of the VRX your stuck at 80hz. No problems as long as your top box can dip down that low and Im not sure how the K12 performs that low.
The VRX can also be set at 120hz with a full range out put. So if your using a box like the K12 you will have to use a extra crossover somewhere in the system.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2011, 02:16:28 AM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.021 seconds with 23 queries.