ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Spliting a vocal mic into 2 channels on the same desk?  (Read 3042 times)

Alan Sledzieski

Spliting a vocal mic into 2 channels on the same desk?
« on: June 28, 2011, 05:35:32 pm »

I run a compressor on each vocal, unfortunately the aux sends are post insert. I want to send the monitor mix uncompressed vocals.

So can I make up a Y splitter, 1 xcrf to 2 xcrm.  Take one and put it in channel 1 with a compressor, take the other and put it in another channel, with no compression.  The channel with no comp. will be used for aux sending only.

This will work, but will my simple splitter work? or will there be a gain ( loss ) problem splitting it this way?

Thanks
Al

Greg_Cameron

• Cameron Pro Audio
Re: Spliting a vocal mic into 2 channels on the same desk?
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2011, 05:38:00 pm »

I run a compressor on each vocal, unfortunately the aux sends are post insert. I want to send the monitor mix uncompressed vocals.

So can I make up a Y splitter, 1 xcrf to 2 xcrm.  Take one and put it in channel 1 with a compressor, take the other and put it in another channel, with no compression.  The channel with no comp. will be used for aux sending only.

This will work, but will my simple splitter work? or will there be a gain ( loss ) problem splitting it this way?

It's no problem using XLR Y splits for mics. It's done all the time. There are no appreciable losses doing this.

Greg

[edit: sp]
« Last Edit: June 28, 2011, 05:39:42 pm by Greg Cameron »
"Procrastinators of the world - contemplate uniting!"

Cameron Pro Audio

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2011, 05:54:18 pm »

You approximately double the loss from the typical bridging input termination from about -0.8dB of level to -1.5 dB or so,,, not a big deal and pretty commonly done when there's a good reason. 

You could also take a direct out from the dry channel, send it to the comp and return that into another line input. You still burn two channels but don't have completely independent gain trims, and perhaps faders.

Splitting the mic at the front end gives you the most control flexibility for a modest signal level penalty.

JR
Don't tune your drums half-ass. Listen to what a properly "cleared" drum sounds like.   http://circularscience.com/

Alan Sledzieski

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2011, 06:06:08 pm »

Thanks for the quick responce's. 

kristianjohnsen

• Lillehammer, Norway
    • Lillehammer Lyd og Lys
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2011, 06:09:10 pm »

You approximately double the loss from the typical bridging input termination from about -0.8dB of level to -1.5 dB or so,,, not a big deal and pretty commonly done when there's a good reason. 

You could also take a direct out from the dry channel, send it to the comp and return that into another line input. You still burn two channels but don't have completely independent gain trims, and perhaps faders.

Splitting the mic at the front end gives you the most control flexibility for a modest signal level penalty.

JR

Also, if one is switching between house desks one might run into direct outs that are configured all over the place, so "going wye" leaves the mixerperson more confident of what's going to affect what.

Jay Barracato

• Solomons, MD
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2011, 08:41:13 pm »

Thanks
Al

I have frequently used this work around when doing monitors from FOH. On more than one occasion it was easiest to put the split right at the stage box. I don't think any modern mic I have ever used will have a problem driving two channels at reasonable levels.
Jay Barracato

Tim Padrick

• Indianapolis
    • T.P. Audio

Alan Sledzieski

« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2011, 09:02:26 am »

http://www.padrick.net/LiveSound/SpecialMicWye.htm

Nice idea!!!!!

I used the split on vocals over the weekend, didn't tell the singers.  I asked them at the end of the night how was the mon. mix.  They said they never heard themselves better.  I sent the bass player a compressed vocal mix as he uses in ears.  2 of the singers can get into 10 db of gain reduction at times, so I don't want that uncompressed signal in his in ears.
 With all honesty, the keyboard player with a uncompressed vocal in his mon. stopped screaming, or pushing himself on certain songs,,, it was great!!!!!
 The womon singer uses a wireless and is out front more then on stage, so she uses the mains as monitors.  When I asked the rest of the band how she sounded in the wedges, they said never better.

I should of done this a long time ago.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2011, 09:02:26 am »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.153 seconds with 22 queries.