ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: M7CL Signal Flow Question  (Read 2828 times)

Rory Maguire

• London, UK
M7CL Signal Flow Question
« on: June 29, 2011, 08:24:23 AM »

Hey guys,

Possibly due to the fact it's late a night, but I'm just doing some prep for a theatre tour I've got coming up where I'm taking an M7 on the road with me into a few different rooms, some where I'm spec-ing rigs, and others where I'm using house rigs.

Anyway, because of the variety in rigs I'll be using, I wanted to set my console up using the matrix as my outputs so I can go from a LCR + FF and balcony delays, to a LRS rig and just vary the numbers of outputs used depending on the room.

Obviously some of the rigs this will be done in a DSP where I can just use a LR out from my console. Others will be a combination of a house rig with some infills or front fills added for our show. So being able to control levels and delays for each output via my touring console will be a nice bonus in keeping myself as self contained as possible! And not having to stuff around trying to find venue DSP passwords and so on!

THE CATCH!!!

I've got a rack out outboard processing I need to insert over the left right buss!

I thought about just sending everything to LR - inserting my rack there - sending to the matrix... But I'm PRETTY SURE the matrix send points are PRE insert.

Anyway, just throwing it out to you guys. If I've not explained anything clear enough, please do let me know! I often set my consoles up pretty crazy, so if this sounds insane, please let me know!

Thanks all in advance!

Joseph White, CTS

Re: M7CL Signal Flow Question
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2011, 08:58:43 AM »

I'm PRETTY SURE the matrix send points are PRE insert.

The matrix mixes are post insert. I use an M7 with a very similar setup (although for a totally different purpose), my LR are not patched to anything and I am using all matrix outs. I have inserts on my LR and that processing is applied to the matrix outs.

I linked to the manual below. Page 70 shows a diagram of the internal routing to confirm. In fact, according to that diagram whether the matrixes are pre or post fader they are still post insert.

http://www2.yamaha.co.jp/manual/pdf/pa/english/mixers/m7cl_en_om_e0.pdf

Hope this helps!

Joseph White
Joseph White, CTS
Design Engineer

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2011, 11:39:39 AM »

Hey guys,

Possibly due to the fact it's late a night, but I'm just doing some prep for a theatre tour I've got coming up where I'm taking an M7 on the road with me into a few different rooms, some where I'm spec-ing rigs, and others where I'm using house rigs.

Anyway, because of the variety in rigs I'll be using, I wanted to set my console up using the matrix as my outputs so I can go from a LCR + FF and balcony delays, to a LRS rig and just vary the numbers of outputs used depending on the room.

Obviously some of the rigs this will be done in a DSP where I can just use a LR out from my console. Others will be a combination of a house rig with some infills or front fills added for our show. So being able to control levels and delays for each output via my touring console will be a nice bonus in keeping myself as self contained as possible! And not having to stuff around trying to find venue DSP passwords and so on!

THE CATCH!!!

I've got a rack out outboard processing I need to insert over the left right buss!

I thought about just sending everything to LR - inserting my rack there - sending to the matrix... But I'm PRETTY SURE the matrix send points are PRE insert.

Anyway, just throwing it out to you guys. If I've not explained anything clear enough, please do let me know! I often set my consoles up pretty crazy, so if this sounds insane, please let me know!

Thanks all in advance!

You an also see all of this info in the block diagram at the back of the manual, which is available online.

Mac

Rory Maguire

• London, UK
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2011, 10:32:50 PM »

Hi Guys,

Thanks for getting back to me and confirming my thoughts. I felt I had a pretty solid look through the manual for the block diagram, and I knew it existed, but for some reason was unable to find it! My silly mistake! This isn't normally how I'd route my console, however this show and tour calls for a slightly different system, and the flexibility that this will provide will be invaluable in keeping things to schedual and making venue to venue transitions alot easier!

Thanks again!

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2011, 10:32:50 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 25 queries.