ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Stereo to mono adapter on a GL2400 strangeness  (Read 3051 times)

Mike McNany

Stereo to mono adapter on a GL2400 strangeness
« on: June 28, 2011, 12:08:47 PM »

The stereo to mono adapter diagram in the GL2400 manual is confusing to me the way it says yes/no depending on output/input.

Anyways, the channel line inputs on the GL2400 are TRS. Using a simple mono 1/4" phone plug to stereo RCA adapter via a stereo 1/8" miniplug on a laptop output for backing track acts. IF you push the phone plug in the whole way, the signal from the laptop does not pass. If you insert the plug to the first click (Ring), the signal passes adaquately.

I should think that with the tip being positive and the ring being shorted to the sleeve (ground), the tip/ring differential should be enough to pass signal. It doesn't. What am I missing?

Mike McNany

Sami Torvinen

• Torvinen Showtekniikka
Re: Stereo to mono adapter on a GL2400 strangeness
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2011, 12:51:00 PM »

You explain the wiring in such a difficult way that I can't figure it out.

Anyway, you shouldn't do stereo to mono with an adapter cable. This is clearly written in the A&H manual:

"Finally… A Note about Combining Signals You can use a
‘Y’ splitter cable or adapter to feed one output to two destinations, but
never try to combine two outputs to one destination. This may
damage or degrade the performance of the equipment driver stage."

Rane also has a good article about this:

http://www.rane.com/note109.html

You have (at least) two options. First get a cable like this:

http://katalog.cordial.eu/catalog3,69,238,kk34.html

OR you can get a cable like this

http://katalog.cordial.eu/catalog3,69,237,kk35.html

and add two female-RCA to male 6.3 mm jack adapters.

If you can make it with stereo you can connect your laptop to ST1 L and ST1 R and route it directly to master bus or to channel 15.

If you want to do mono you connect your laptop to ST1 L/M and ST2 L/M and route both to channel 15. Now the console mixes the stereo audio from your laptop to mono.

But if you want to mixdown the laptop audio from stereo to mono outside the mixer and connect it to ST1 L/M using only one jack AND do it the right way you have to use something like this:

http://www.epanorama.net/documents/audio/mixer.html

Or buy a DI box with a "merge" function such as Radial JDI.

Chris Davis

• SR Forums
  • USA
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2011, 01:04:13 PM »

The stereo to mono adapter diagram in the GL2400 manual is confusing to me the way it says yes/no depending on output/input.

Anyways, the channel line inputs on the GL2400 are TRS. Using a simple mono 1/4" phone plug to stereo RCA adapter via a stereo 1/8" miniplug on a laptop output for backing track acts. IF you push the phone plug in the whole way, the signal from the laptop does not pass. If you insert the plug to the first click (Ring), the signal passes adaquately.

I should think that with the tip being positive and the ring being shorted to the sleeve (ground), the tip/ring differential should be enough to pass signal. It doesn't. What am I missing?

Mike McNany

Hi Mike.  Are you sure you are not plugging it into the channel insert jack by accident??  Insert ring = input, insert tip = output.

P.S. In other words, first click or halfway in, you would be hitting the return (or input) part of the insert jack on the console with the tip of the mono plug. 

Otherwise I don't see the possibility of this happening, given that you are using a mono (2 segment) plug.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2011, 01:19:11 PM by Chris Davis »

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2011, 01:04:13 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 24 queries.